Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

What oil pumps do you have on your turbo Cayman?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After losing an engine last year, I am getting very much concerned with two oil related issues.

The first is:
- Oil in the Air Intake Hoses:
My MAF was obviously out of claibration since last year as the same related symptoms were still there. But during the change of the MAF I found oil residues in the air intakes as shown in pictures 1, 2 and 3. To that TPC confirmed this is a normal situation with their cars under heavy acceleration.

The second is:
- Oil leak from the turbo housing at idle:
If you run the engine at idle and keep it running for few minutes, oil starts leaking from the turbo as shown in pictures 4 & 5. TPC again confirmed this is normal as the seal is dynamic and works best in motion. They explained that the stock built-in engine oil pump is not suffecient to suck the oil at idle unless you rev the engine occasionally (in case of idling for more than 2 minutes) for it to accelerate the suction. I discussed with Tom the option of installing a Scavenger Oil Pump on the gravity drain line, but he said that would fix the oil leak at idle but would cause serious damage under heavy acceleration as the Scavenger Oil Pump would starve the built-in engine oil pump.

It became a regular practice for me to check the engine oil every now and then as the car consumes about 1 liter of oil every 800-1000 km due to the above. And TPC confirmed this is normal especially for those who drive the car hard.

I have TPC TrakPak... but I am not sure what else I could add to minimze if not to fix the issues above completely. Therefore, I'm asking other owners of TPC Cayman to share their experiences and solutions if any.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DiverDog, I see you have both TTP kit and TrakPak installed. I knew this from an old thread too. I can guess the TTP kit could solve the first issue, but how can it solve the second issue?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I spoke to the Porsche Motorsports people and there is no such thing as a Motorsports Cup AOS. It's just a ordinary Porsche part that someone started calling a "Motorsports AOS." The Mostorsports people ask me to spread the word...

·
Registered
171 Posts
New related track stuff here:

Preventing oil starvation on the track in your Boxster, Cayman, or 911 model Porsche.

I am not sure what is wrong with your TPC setup and therefore what a good solution could be, but I thought I would pass along the info on the new parts from LN Eng.. anyway.

It would be great to get feedback, from anyone, on the dual pumps from LN Engineering. They are on my to do list when work quiets down.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,593 Posts
I don't have any leak from my turbo bearing housing. no excess oil usage either. The track pack is a secondary AOS from a 993 turbo I believe. The TTp is used to scavenge the front of the right head to return the oil to the sump

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Hassaan,
Are those pics of the oil seepage new - ie after your rebuild?

I cannot report a leak on my car's turbo, either. And basically no oil consumption either. I drive a thousand miles and the reported oil level is unchanged. Not sure what to say.

Once my motor is hot, I do on occassion notice the faintest of burnt oil smells when pulling up at a light with the windows down. So I do think *somewhere* there must be a drop getting on a hot part or manifold. While it isn't enough to contribute to oil usage I am going to find that source and hopefully *kill* it as it bugs me.

Has anyone else with the tpc kit noticed this?

(Hassaan you must smell the oil quite clearly - or not?)

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes, the reported leaks are after the rebuilt. I do smell oil burn occasionally especially in case of number two.

Below are the explanations from TPC taking into consideration the following:
1) All my drives are on low boost settings. Never drove on high boost.
2) The boost for my driving is maximum in the range from 0.35 bar to 0.50 bar. Never went above 0.50 bar till now.

TPC explanations for the oil leak in the air intakes:
When you drive the car hard (the way I drive) it is normal for the oil vapor to reach under pressure the air intakes.

TPC explanation for the oil leak from the turbo housing at idle or on a ramp:
This is a gravity drain line that depends on the engine built-in oil pump to suck the oil. While driving, the pump does suck all the oil with no problems. At long idles (lasting more than two minutes) or worse at idle on an uphill, the built-in pump is not suffecient to do the job. That's why it is advised to rev the engine a little up to 1500 rev occasionally in such situations.

TPC explanation for the 1 liter oil consumption every 800-1000 km:
In addition to the above, TPC say it is normal for a rebuilt engine to consume oil in the beginning till the piston rings close 100% tight with the cylinder shafts.

The bottom line, TPC confirm the above is normal based on their experience and asking me not to worry about it... but I can't help it :helpme:

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
HassaanAbdeen

Where is the oil on the Turbo leaking from? I cannot tell from the photos.
As I understood from my mechanic it leaks from the down pipe at the turbo housing. I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology for it. But the description behind this matter from TPC is that this is the gravity oil line. And when the car is running at idle for a long time the oil doesn't get sucked in the engine as the built-in oil pump isn't sufficient to suck it. Therefore the turbo leaks this excess oil normally.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OUCH!

I'm currently studying the 1.2 Qts Mantis New Oil Sump Extension Kit and the 2 QT LN Engineering’s Deep Sump Kit. My concern is the the reduced ground clearance. That's why LN Engineering's may not be an option. But nothing is mentioned about the ground clearance for the Mantis'. Does anybody have any idea?

On the other hand, I understand the Mantis' solves the oil in the air intake problem but does it help with the oil leak at the drain line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Hassaan, the 2012 MantisSport sump extension provides you with more than 3/4" ground clearance , better oil control, with oil dams built-in the bottom VS the 2 qt LN product which is a copy of our gen 1 sump which we designed in 2006.

With the 2012 sump you could tap in a fitting for your oil drain from the turbo, this will help with oil draining.Lower the fitting better drain, rule of thumb, basic turbo rule.

MantisSport will be introducing a Gen 11 revised sump extension, soon. We are working with BodyMotion, on a race version which will be available soon also.

Developers of Race Cayman Products, never standing Still !

Our Minds are Racing, Is Yours ?

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Hassaan, the 2012 MantisSport sump extension provides you with more than 3/4" ground clearance , better oil control, with oil dams built-in the bottom VS the 2 qt LN product which is a copy of our gen 1 sump which we designed in 2006.

With the 2012 sump you could tap in a fitting for your oil drain from the turbo, this will help with oil draining.Lower the fitting better drain, rule of thumb, basic turbo rule.

MantisSport will be introducing a Gen 11 revised sump extension, soon. We are working with BodyMotion, on a race version which will be available soon also.

Developers of Race Cayman Products, never standing Still !

Our Minds are Racing, Is Yours ?
Haha! You did beat me by few seconds with your post ;)

Thank you Ernie for your promising feedback. Dr. G who bought his very similar 3.7L TPC turbo Cayman recently from Accomoto has your sump installed. I'd like to see pictures how it's connected to the drain.

May I ask if your Gen 11 revised sump will provide more clearance or what? How soon will it be available? I'd be happy to be the first to try it on my Cayman as I wait for the green signal from TPC.

Last question, does your sump come with the fitting for the oil drain? If not, can you custom fit one for me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oil in the intake is typical of turbocharged cars due to increased pressure in the crankcase. Most turbo charged cars that see track time use some sort of crank case vent system or catch can system to deal with this. However - it isn't that common with lower boost pressures. Not sure how the PCV system is on a Cayman or your modified engine or how all works but there may be some sort of problem with that system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm currently studying the 1.2 Qts Mantis New Oil Sump Extension Kit and the 2 QT LN Engineering’s Deep Sump Kit. My concern is the the reduced ground clearance. That's why LN Engineering's may not be an option. But nothing is mentioned about the ground clearance for the Mantis'. Does anybody have any idea?
The new LN Engineering sump and the current Mantis sump have the same clearance. If not exactly, it is close.

I have the LN Eng. 2 QT sump in the car now. I got it because I was worried about clearing speed bumps. I have decided to upgrade to the new, deeper LN Eng. sump or possibly the forthcoming Mantis Sump because the clearance over the speed bumps is not as bad as I thought. LN Eng. now has a proper fiber gasket for the sump which is nice. Mantis seems to be working on a one piece sump which is cool.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't seem to have any oil leak from my turbo, as for excessive oil use, I haven't noticed any. Yes it needs topping up occasionally but not in the amounts mentioned, in fact I use less oil than I did in my 335.

PT

·
Registered
117 Posts
seeing some faint white smoke at idle when stopped at lights after running hard. was told to relax by Accumoto. new engine only has some 300 mi on her. they seem to think this will diminish as engine breaks in. I will check with them, but i dont believe the car did this pre-3.7L.

ignoring it for now.;)

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
No oil consumption requiring topping up between oil changes. Leaks? Don't know because I blew several huge clouds at the track (boost too high, overwhelmed the AOS with blowby) so everything is oily underneath.

Will be cleaning up the oil soon and will watch for leaks after that.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I learned from Mike that earlier turbo kits has scavenger oil pump included. Then TPC stopped using it with their kits. And Mike isn't recommending the oil sump unless one's driving with slick tires on the track. So I'm back to square one :(

Still working with Mike trying to find a solution... I'm not happy with the current situation.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts