Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who currently own a Cayman/Boxster, did you consider any other makes/models, and if so, what ultimately swayed you towards purchasing your Cayman/Boxster? For those of you still considering a Cayman/Boxster purchase, what other cars are you considering? Anyone waiting to make a decision until the new Toyota Supra arrives at dealerships?

·
Registered
421 Posts
My second choice was an A4 (ended up with a Boxster); I had considered switching back to upscale German sedans from sports cars. Also, I wouldn't be in a rental for two months waiting for the new car to arrive and would save the hours every month I spend reading Christophorus and Panorama...

·
Registered
96 Posts
The other car I considered when I was looking 2 years ago was a Jaguar F-Type S. I ultimately chose the Cayman GTS over the Jag was because of better handling, better driving feel, and superior interior quality. The Jag was dead sexy though and I would not mind having one as a second car if I could afford to. If I were to be in the car market and consider something other than my Cayman GTS it would likely be the BMW M2 or the Jaguar F-Type S.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its my understanding (i might be wrong), but the proposed Supra isnt even in the same league?
I guess it depends on what you're looking for but I wouldn't mind seeing/driving one before I make that blanket judgment.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Had a brief flirtation with the F-Type. Thought about a Corvette. Acknowledged the existence of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad. Strongly considered a CPO 981S and various used 991.

Ordered the 718.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Traded my GS corvette on my 718. Considered an Alfa 4C but my fat *** couldn’t get in and out easily with that carbon fiber tub. Also couldn’t handle the $49 radio they put in that thing.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I really considered the Audi TT RS but ultimately decided on a CGTS. After I defined my criteria for a sports car the Cayman platform was an easy choice - 2 seater, RWD, manual transmission, naturally aspirated. Almost a year later and nearly 10K miles of mostly spirited driving I'm 100% satisfied with my CGTS.

I did get to take a spirited drive in a TT RS and while it's fast in a straight line and sounds awesome I don't feel it handled as well as the Cayman and it didn't feel nearly as balanced. Granted it was only an hour ride - given more time I may have found my rhythm with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I very briefly thought about an Audi RS5 (love the 4.2 V8), but ultimately decided the only thing that was going to get me out of my 2015 S4 was a Cayman or 911. I dont like turbo engines, so that left out cars like the TT or the new RS3 and not really a fan of Vettes and other American cars. So that left the Porsche.

So decided on a 981 Cayman and ended up with a 2014 S.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I very briefly thought about an Audi RS5 (love the 4.2 V8), but ultimately decided the only thing that was going to get me out of my 2015 S4 was a Cayman or 911. I dont like turbo engines, so that left out cars like the TT or the new RS3 and not really a fan of Vettes and other American cars. So that left the Porsche.

So decided on a 981 Cayman and ended up with a 2014 S.
My previous car was a ‘15 RS5 (4.2 v8). LOVED IT. It was and felt like a beast. On the heavy side. I recently picked up a ‘14 CS (not a fan of turbos either). Miss the power. Love how light it feels.

The other car I considered was an M4.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Edit to add my goal of what I expected to do with the car of choice which is daily drive on pretty weather days, weekend trips, and the occasional HPDE and autocross.

I had a blast considering and testing the following:

Alfa 4C - too much hard plastic and horrible gearbox / motor

Jag F-Type - too harsh of a ride and minimal storage for long weekend trips. I did love the sound of the motor.

BMW M4 - didn't feel as fun/special as a proper two seat sports car

C7 Vette Grand Sport - wasn't able to get a test drive (very unfortunate). The lack of being able to test drive is killed it, but the shifting felt rubbery and I wasn't a fan of the infotainment

Mustang GT350 - total giggle fest. But, in addition to having "image" problems with it (being honest here), the car doesn't come alive until its WAY up in the rev band and a daily driver this makes NOT. That said, this thing made me giggle out loud more than any other tested. That flat plane crank V8 sounded WONDERFUL and it brought out my inner child. I would have ended up in jail with that car.

I chose the 718 Cayman S for its superior feel on the road both in handling feedback and how it took on "real world" streets. I also believe it had a superior interior quality with excellent fit and finish. And, there was just simply something about the feel I got when seated in the car. This car, more than any other I tested, felt like an extension of the driver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having been a long time TT owner, I was holding out for a 2018 TT RS. Though I'll be the first to admit the '02 TT isn't in the same league as Porsche, it's a great winter car, sips gas, and was great for hauling long stuff (Home Depot, trips to the golf/gun clubs, etc). When Audi decided not to come out with a MT version, that killed it for me, though. Stigma aside, I'm surprised the TT RS isn't mentioned more in this forum -especially for those looking for wicked acceleration.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having been a long time TT owner, I was holding out for a 2018 TT RS. Though I'll be the first to admit the '02 TT isn't in the same league as Porsche, it's a great winter car, sips gas, and was great for hauling long stuff (Home Depot, trips to the golf/gun clubs, etc). When Audi decided not to come out with a MT version, that killed it for me, though. Stigma aside, I'm surprised the TT RS isn't mentioned more in this forum -especially for those looking for wicked acceleration.
Please don't take offense to this comment, but I always viewed the TT as a women's sports car. In fact, I have a neighbor (50 something female) who owns one.

Reactions: drewpt

·
Registered
404 Posts
Tried the Cayman and a 911. Preferred the balance and zen qualities of Cayman...now on my third. Possibly looking to upgrade to a GT4 or perhaps a Turbo, GT3 or McLaren 570s because track times have become more important to me.

I'd go out of my mind if I were looking for a GT car rather than a sports car. Helluva lot of good choices. Be sure you know your true goal, sports car, GT4 car, a look-at-me car, etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Fell in love with the 981 Boxster when I saw the first picture, thought it was the new 911! Wanted a convertible, so the only other consideration I had was a 911 cabriolet. Wondered if I would regret not getting a 911, like "I could'a had a 911!" When we got to the dealer they had a Boxster and Cabriolet parked side by side. Never again did I regret the choice.

PS, also had a 2000 Audi TT, another "woman's sports car." I just wish I could drive it like Sabine Schmitz!
PPS, Here is a video of her at the Ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJOC_dDXzM

·
Registered
832 Posts
I seriously looked at a 718 Boxster while waiting for the 718 Caymans to come out. In the mean time I stumbled on a 2014 981 Cayman S CPO with 3400 miles on the clock. I fell hopelessly in love.

·
Registered
344 Posts

I owned a 2002 TT 3.2 years ago. They're fine cars. I have a hunch on why Cayman/Boxster owners don't consider them. Those looking at a Porsche Boxster / Cayman are looking for an overall driving experience. The TT, like all Audis, lack being a true driver's car. The architecture is all wrong, Audi places the motor on and in front of the front axel which significantly induces understeer. My wife and I have owned three Audis (TT, S5, and our current S6). The S6 is like the new TTRS, it'll go like stink from a standstill and it's a great cruiser. But, once it's on a twisty road, the car isn't happy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I considered a RS3 (I actually had a deposit on one - still wouldn't have been here yet), but while I was waiting for that to come I was window shopping.

I looked at:
Mustang GT350 (still an amazing car, but too loud and obnoxious for DD duty)
Used 911
Macan S / used Turbo
F-150 Raptor
Audi S4
Audi S5 sportback
M3 CP
M2

I think if I had stuck with the RS3 I'd still be happy, but this Cayman is a pleasure to drive in every day.

Turns out I had an itch for a Porsche, and made the mistake of test driving a 718 Boxster... I also didn't need a back seat yet either :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I recently test drove and seriously considered moving out of my Cayman into a VW Golf R. With close to 300 horsepower that thing is quick and handling was excellent! But after getting back into my Cayman and taking a nice long way around drive home decided to keep "Raven" - at least for a while.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.