Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done buffing (Porter Cable random orbital polisher, blue pad, Menzerna PO 85 RD) and sealing (Sonax Polymer Net Shield) my car last night. Because the car is brand new, it was a light detail taking only 9 hours to buff, wipe, and seal the paint. In general, I found this car pretty easy to work on.

The most difficult areas for me to clean were the rocker panels below the doors. Those things are low and curve under the car a bit making them difficult to reach properly without laying down on the ground. The second-toughest thing to do was vacuum the rear trunk carpet. I am 6' tall with long arms and still had a tough time reaching all the way in there behind the seats.

I enjoyed the time spent on the car. It looks fantastic now (pics to follow soon), and those are the places that challenged me. How about you?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't quit you day job :hilarious:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^^Zing!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew when I put the word "clean" in the title this thread would get moved to the abyss.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Wheels! The rest seems lots easier.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wheels for me too... I've put some wax on them, but the area behind the spokes seems to have tar or other junk stuck to them a lot. And I sometimes skin my knuckles when cleaning the wheels near the front calipers.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Wheels but that is relative. I have the long handled brush (pad) from Griot that allows me to easily reach to the very back edge of the rim inside and clean. If you do this weekly or bi-weekly, the buildup is pretty minimal and easily removed with the brush.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Rarely needs to be done, but when it does . . . . . ¿the Driver's Seat? :)

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Wheels!! I finally replaced my Sport Design wheels because I hated cleaning them.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The most difficult areas for me to clean were the rocker panels below the doors. Those things are low and curve under the car a bit making them difficult to reach properly without laying down on the ground. The second-toughest thing to do was vacuum the rear trunk carpet. I am 6' tall with long arms and still had a tough time reaching all the way in there behind the seats.
I have a back injury and bending to clean the wheels and rocker panels is a killer. I bought a couple of boat cushions so I can kneel on them in the gravel driveway, which makes things a lot easier.

41+59-Xu6xL.jpg

And a good wheel brush, lug brush, and Wheel Woolies help a lot with the wheels.

Reactions: ronaldvetteron

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
The black plastic under the outside rear view mirrors and the mirror base - after waxing. Wax, then get the Back to Black Cleaner and Restorer. I can mask the base, but the underside of the mirror is a pain. Looking at moving from the 13 BS to a 15 GTS and painted mirrors and inlets are on the build sheet. Exhaust tips aren't a pain to clean but I cannot believe how quickly they carbon up (sports exhaust tips) - maybe it's the PSE?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The spaces between all the lettering on the rear hatch lid annoys the hell out of me along with the GTS stickers on the side of the door. Not only are the painted spaces hard to wipe, with high pile microfibers you can get some fibers caught under the edge of the letters. The turbo design wheels are complex to clean, but my brush set does the job just fine and I oddly find it relaxing going to town on it when all my tools are exactly what I need. As others mentioned, the rocker panels are no fun to do with a full size polisher like my Flex 3401. I'll probably pick up a Griots Mini 3" one day for those flared and narrow spaces. Right now 2/3 of the car is cover in Xpel and it's really refreshing to being able to no-rinse clean most of car without worrying about scratching with the self healing properties of the film.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
The spaces between all the lettering on the rear hatch lid annoys the hell out of me...
I too. I purchased an air blower and it works like a charm for all crevices. As for washing those tight spots, a good quality boar's hair detailers brush. Get a couple: one for painted surfaces and another for wheels and brake calipers.

Having the right tools make a world of difference. I just purchased a foam gun. So, more help on the way.

Reactions: 981Agate/Amber

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I can't keep the exhaust tips clean. :burnout:
Either can anybody else unless you paint them with high temp or ceramic coated them with matt black. When just wash them when doing the wheels. I going to try the high temp method first.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would have said wheels, but right now, finding it hard to get/keep the windshield (especially the inside) clean. Shape and rake means some portions of the glass are a bit harder to reach. And it won't STAY clean, I wonder if the new interior is excessively outgassing? I use Stoner invisible Glass and usually get great results. Next I'll try the vinegar/newspaper trick.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I have a back injury and bending to clean the wheels and rocker panels is a killer. I bought a couple of boat cushions so I can kneel on them in the gravel driveway, which makes things a lot easier.

View attachment 52780

My vote goes for the wheels as well. I do not have a back injury (at least not yet!) but it's on my mind every time I'm bent over cleaning those low areas for any amount of time. Thanks for the tip... I think I'll get one of those cushions too!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The spaces between all the lettering on the rear hatch lid annoys the hell out of me along with the GTS stickers on the side of the door.
Oh yeah. How did I forget about that? Drove me NUTS!

I love to clean my car. I may be the only crazy one here, but I am guessing I am not alone.
You are not alone. It's my therapy as well as my hobby.

I would have said wheels, but right now, finding it hard to get/keep the windshield (especially the inside) clean. Shape and rake means some portions of the glass are a bit harder to reach. And it won't STAY clean, I wonder if the new interior is excessively outgassing?
Agree. Does leaving the windows open help with the outgassing?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 39 Posts