Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we all know that Porsches sound great. I love the flat head 6. But does anyone know what specifically (mechanically) produces that whine which is inherent in our engines?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I love the flat head 6.
By the way it's not a flat head six.
It's a flat six or horizontally-opposed-6.
With the cylinders layed out flat instead of in a V (V6, V8) or inline.

The whine is probably the supercharger the dealer snuck in there.;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, its the internal mechanicals in our cars (water cooled flat six's) that cause that "whine", gears mostly. However that "whine" is more prominent in the air cooled flat six's (the fan adds another instrument to the symphony) which in my opinion makes pure music... Found most notably in the 65-73's

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Think its a pretty good question, in a sense, all these beautiful engine noises (CGT, Ferrari, all other Porsche's) respectively, what is "thee" thing that gives that charactaristic noise? Exhaust? As Ken said, timing / cam chains (are we on chains?? I thought they were belts) That's good to know!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Well you must be refering to pre DFI engines because the new ones sound, not good. tap tap tap...hollow clanging sound :(

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes, its the internal mechanicals in our cars (water cooled flat six's) that cause that "whine", gears mostly. However that "whine" is more prominent in the air cooled flat six's (the fan adds another instrument to the symphony) which in my opinion makes pure music... Found most notably in the 65-73's
Having owned V-8s, and straight 6 (BMW, Jaguar) water cooled engines, the air cooled Porsche engines always reminded me of high powered sewing machines. I could never accept the sound as pleasing.

Which is why I now love the sound of the boxer, flat sixes in the current cars.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I don't know what it is, but whatever it is........ I like it!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Gear noises, gearbox and rear differential. The interesting thing is that Porsche has maintained that distinctive sound in the modern Porsches. It had been some years since I had driven a Porsche when I test drove my first Cayman and it sounded so much like the old air-cooled 911s--gear whine, raspy metallic sound and the exhaust note (though not that loud). I think they must engineer the sound in so Porsche owners always feel at home in the new cars. I can't think of another modern sports car that has the kind of gear whine that Porsches do. I really like it.
BW

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Well you must be refering to pre DFI engines because the new ones sound, not good. tap tap tap...hollow clanging sound :(
For me the new DFI makes the right sounds :) just wish I get to hear the engine past 6000rpm more often!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
For me the new DFI makes the right sounds :) just wish I get to hear the engine past 6000rpm more often!
I hear ya. Have not heard mine past 5000 yet.
06 to 08 just sounds so much better in stock form.

The first 15 seconds of this is very sweet :):) :

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gear noises, gearbox and rear differential. The interesting thing is that Porsche has maintained that distinctive sound in the modern Porsches. It had been some years since I had driven a Porsche when I test drove my first Cayman and it sounded so much like the old air-cooled 911s--gear whine, raspy metallic sound and the exhaust note (though not that loud). I think they must engineer the sound in so Porsche owners always feel at home in the new cars. I can't think of another modern sports car that has the kind of gear whine that Porsches do. I really like it.
BW
I agree. If you heard a Porsche coming down the road without look, you know it is a Porsche. It has a unique sound. The Ferraris have a unique sound. But you would know its a Ferrari from blocks away. I think these manufactures have made a concerted effort linking the sounds from the past to their present day cars. Therefore keeping their individual heritage alive in a sense.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
(CGT, Ferrari, all other Porsche's) respectively, what is "thee" thing that gives that charactaristic noise? Exhaust?
Quite often it the intake. Weber carbs sucking air on a V12 Ferrari is glorious.
the air cooled Porsche engines always reminded me of high powered sewing machines. I could never accept the sound as pleasing.
I used to think the same thing.
Then I drove a friends 914-6, and the air cooled six has sounded wonderful ever since.
Watching the Rolex 24 Hour, the whine was incredible on some of those 911 GT3RSRs!!!!
That may have been the straight cut gears in the sequential gearbox.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
What exactly is this whine? I used to think it's because of the torque converter in my tiptronic.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
if its too loud its your IMS bearing and the motor is going to grenade

1 - 20 of 36 Posts