Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy with the glass cleaners that I have tried. I use Invisible Glass in an aerosol can with newspaper for road trips and it works well for that purpose. Have not found a regular cleaner that I like after the car is washed when at home. Would like to hear what other people are using.:thanks:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I use a dilute solution from Optimum No Rinse which I use to wash my car with. Works better than any window cleaning product I've used.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Windex works fine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Outside I've been using the RainX Original Glass Treatment. The older treatment was a pain and left a haze; this new stuff seems to do the job and is easy to apply. Then again maybe any glass cleaner would work as well.

Inside I use Invisible Glass (spray or aerosol).

I use a bunch of cheap microfiber towels to remove.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'll be watchin' this thread. I was happy at first with Windex, but for some reason, now it streaks. It's annoying.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Thread moved.

Another one here for Stoner's Invisible Glass. No reason why you can't use it at home as well as on the road. Cheap, easy to find anywhere, and works well. Stoner's also makes an Invisible Glass cleaner with rain repellent that's supposed to work like Rain-X without all the streaking and cloudiness that Rain-X leaves behind.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not happy with the glass cleaners that I have tried. I use Invisible Glass in an aerosol can with newspaper for road trips and it works well for that purpose. Have not found a regular cleaner that I like after the car is washed when at home. Would like to hear what other people are using.:thanks:
Falcon 7,

Greetings. I have had the same problem for many years. I could never find a great glass cleaner; and, I've tried several. I would always get the dreaded "fog" several days later. I've tried newspaper, and cotton and microfiber towels. Most are good, but none are perfect.

Recently, I had a clear 3M bra installed on the front bumper. The bra came with a DVD installation guide. They suggested an alcohol/water mixture to clean the bumper before installation. A clean bumper was imperative to a proper installation.

Hummm, I tried the mixture on my windows - perfect. The mixture uses isopropyl alcohol (70%) and sterile water (bottled, distilled, purified, etc.). The formula is 1/3 alcohol and 2/3's water in a spray bottle.

Isopropyl alcohol 70% can be purchased nearly anywhere - Costco, any drugstore, Target, Walmart, etc.

Please remember, isopropyl alcohol is flammable - use caution around open flames.

I use a Griot's Garage disposable cotton wipe or microfiber towel to wipe dry - good luck.

It works great and is very inexpensive.

Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Falcon 7,

Greetings. I have had the same problem for many years. I could never find a great glass cleaner; and, I've tried several. I would always get the dreaded "fog" several days later. I've tried newspaper, and cotton and microfiber towels. Most are good, but none are perfect.

Recently, I had a clear 3M bra installed on the front bumper. The bra came with a DVD installation guide. They suggested an alcohol/water mixture to clean the bumper before installation. A clean bumper was imperative to a proper installation.

Hummm, I tried the mixture on my windows - perfect. The mixture uses isopropyl alcohol (70%) and sterile water (bottled, distilled, purified, etc.). The formula is 1/3 alcohol and 2/3's water in a spray bottle.

Isopropyl alcohol 70% can be purchased nearly anywhere - Costco, any drugstore, Target, Walmart, etc.

Please remember, isopropyl alcohol is flammable - use caution around open flames.

I use a Griot's Garage disposable cotton wipe or microfiber towel to wipe dry - good luck.

It works great and is very inexpensive.

Semper Fi
Thanks, I will give that a try it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Don't use newspaper. That old trick doesn't work anymore, and there are much better alternatives, like the glass microfiber from Detailers Domain. The stoners is good stuff. Keep using it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I go back and forth between Windex and Stoners. I like the results of the Stoners with rain repellant, but sometimes experience "wiper hop" when it rains!? My results seem to be related to the relative humidity when I wash the Cayman. I get much better overall results when the humidity is low.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've read that a vinegar and water mixture works well also. I haven't tried it, though. Have any of you? I don't think I'd use it inside the car, 'cause I'm sure it would make the vehicle smell like vinegar.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use Stoners also as it has alcohol in it. I ditched using Windex years ago on any kind of glass. The type of drying towel is half the issue, use a clean microfiber towel. On my new 07 CS, which had sat all winter, the glass accumulated a lot of set in dirt and was very rough even after cleaning. So I used claybar on it, then cleaned with Invisible Glass. Now it's really clean and dust does not stick to it as easily.

Be carefull with the alcohol/water as it will strip wax on the outside finish and might not be too good for where it oversprays on the inside.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Glass cleaner is the only thing I do not have in my cleaning arsenal...I just use zaino z-6 - when I do my whole car I just spray a little extra on the windows and use a micro-fiber towel and I'm good to go. Seems to do the trick rather nicely.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts