Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 06 CS has navigation and all the radio adjustments are on the screen. It appears to have 8 speakers, or at least speaker grills, and no sub on the passenger side footwell. So I assume it is not a CDR24 nor a Bose system, but what is it?

Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks K-dude. I just read the FAQ and it was helpful. Now my next dumb questions are:

1. how does one get to the rear speaker wires? I want to put a small sub either behind or beneath the drivers seat, as I have done in my old 911, and I am looking for a high level output source to drive it.

2. Can one just buy an unactivated ATT SIM chip and plug it into the little holder to have the phone function? I realize of course I would have to go to AT&T to get the line activated.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Thanks K-dude. I just read the FAQ and it was helpful. Now my next dumb questions are:

1. how does one get to the rear speaker wires? I want to put a small sub either behind or beneath the drivers seat, as I have done in my old 911, and I am looking for a high level output source to drive it.

2. Can one just buy an unactivated ATT SIM chip and plug it into the little holder to have the phone function? I realize of course I would have to go to AT&T to get the line activated.

Thanks,

Steve
The speaker wires would be accessible either behind the head unit in the wiring harness or back by the speakers themselves, I haven't done any such wiring of aftermarket audio in my Cayman so you'll probably want to ask those here who have.

The answer to #2 is NO because you have to have that option activated in your car's computers which means activation via PIWIS machine and for an option like this they charge $$$ to do it because they have to get the activation codes from Porsche in Germany.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks again. I suspected that the phone thing was gonna be more complicated than buying a $10 sim on ebay. :(

·
Registered
326 Posts

Thanks,

Steve
Putting a sub under or behind the seat might work for you if you aren't a perfectionist. I tried this with the Blaupunkt powered sub, which was the smallest and thinnest I could find anywhere. I wasn't happy with the results and ended up returning it. It fit under the seat only if I raised the seat way up, but that doesn't look very good if one seat is way high and the other is way low (I'm 6'-4"). I also thought it looked pretty ugly when I test-fit it vertically behind the seat (due to the shape not being flat), plus you lose legroom. Obviously, you may have a different opinion. It would be nice if someone would manufacture a rear sub enclosure instead of having each individual shop hand-fabricate them one at a time as we've seen elsewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
John: thanks for your note.

I put an inexpensive Boss 8 inch sub in my '84 911, and it fit under the seat with about 1/16" to spare. It's way far from B&W sort of quality, but then again, I listen to XM via an FM transmitter arrangement, so the sound quality is well compromised before it even hits the amp, much less the speakers. Plus I listen to classic rock stuff on XM, and the original music was recorded on analogue reel to reels, 16 track at best.

So I might just toss the same unit behind the drivers seat on the floor, but standing vertically. My biggest concern at this point is invisible wiring.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts