Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 Boxster will be coming off its warranty in early July and I'm struggling on deciding what to do with her. She's in great shape and only has 39K miles. I love driving her especially during those perfect SoCal summer days and although I also love my '09 Cayman S, I'm sure I'm going to miss driving top down if I sold the Boxster.

So my options are: 1) keep her and buy an extended warranty, 2) keep her without an extended warranty, or 3) sell her.

My biggest fear of keeping her is that something catastrophic happens like the engine blowing. Based on what I heard, replacing one would be in the $15k range (service guy from my dealer plus a local Porsche service shop). I know it's unlikely to happen since I dont track the car and generally treat her pretty well but you never know. I check on the extended warranty and I got quotes of $2900 to $4600 through Fidelity for a 2 year warranty depending on coverage, which seems pretty ridiculous to me.

So what do you guys think I should do? So torn...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep it, run it and worry about it later. I've been told from what I consider reilable sources that the major failures, IMS in particluar, happen in single digit percentages of vehicles. Bad if you get one of those, but the majority of owners never have this issue. Also, most of the major failures that I've known of in friends cars have happen under 20K miles. Consensus seems to be if you get beyond that 20K mark you should be o.k. One particular friend with a 2000 Boxster lost the engine due to an IMS failure at about 15K. A new engine was installed under warranty and it has been trouble free to 106K miles now.

I beleive the risk is worth the reward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you like the Boxster but do not want to pay for the extended warranty, you might consider keeping and trading in on '12 which should be launched in Aug-Sept'11 or trade in now on an '10 and take advantage of low finance rates from Porsche.:dance:

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
1) keep her without an extended warranty, then trade in for the new 2012.
or
2) Sell the car
or
3) Trade in the car now for a Boxster Spyder.
or
4) Start modifying the car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My '05 was a daily driver up until last November. I bought it new in May of 2005.

It now has 67,000 miles on the ticker, and is running well. I had a few problems, post-warranty. My shift cable end links broke--on the tranny side, which meant the cables had to be replaced entirely. $900. My convertible top endlinks snapped, as they are prone to do, which I replaced myself. My oil evaporation canister malfunctioned and i started spewing thick black smoke. That wasn't fun.

Luckily I have an extended warranty, so at least the oil canister was covered. Read the warranty carefully. I have a certified porsche pre-owned policy (which you normally can't buy to add on to your car) and I imagine aftermarket policies would perhaps be more inclusive, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd definitely either sell now and get a 2012, or trade for a Boxster Spyder. If you're worried about older cars in general, the 2012 will be totally overhauled and exciting, would be a good time to update anyway. I wouldn't worry about the warranty, reliability is generally quite good with porsche.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I think extended warranty from a third party are generally overpriced and they will try anything to get out of paying if something were to happen... do your homework and carefully read all of the fine print on what they will and will not cover. I think Car and Driver did a good artical about a year or so ago about all of the major aftermarket warrenty guys and basically came to the conclusion that they are not worth the paper the policy is printed on... Fidelity is not one of the companies that they named, so I am not sure if they have a better rep or not...

Extended Car Warranties: Peace of Mind or Something Else? - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would think that if it made it to 39K miles, it should be okay except for normal wear items, especially if you aren't tracking the car. It's not like it's a Ferrari, just waiting to throw a $15,000 funny noise at you...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Insurance companies are not philanthropists... It's always easier to give them money than recoup from them... Personally I do not purchase any insurance not mandated by law anymore, except my umbrella policy in case the kid does something stupid...

Put some money aside, or sell it..

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Just my 2 cents, when we bought the gently used 2002 Passat W8 4Motion Wagon I did some research on the concept and technology. Version 1.0 was not that reliable so we bit the bullet and bought a full wrap extended warranty for roughly $1500. Well it has gone through a major engine rebuild and numerous other repairs (electrical, air condition, etc.) that cost the insurance company over $9500. That was a good call.

We had previously bought brand new Jetta and Passat Wagon with extended warranties (because I amortize new cars by at least 10 years for our budget) and that was net zero or some loss. There were some extended warranty repairs on both cars (electrical, water pump, etc.) but did not cost more than what we paid for the insurance. And both cars were totaled by other drivers in accidents. We were able to get a refund of the pro rated insurance value.

The common failure in the Jetta and both Passat wagons were lights at the air vents, cold weather rough idle, and seals - post manufacturer warranty period.

For the Cayman S, the Planet 9 forum was a huge knowledge base of reading and research before I jumped in on the purchase. Like you, the car is 2006 and very close to end of warranty with 30,470 miles. Previous owner is PCA member and took awesome care of the car. All records from Porsche service were mainly maintenance or installation of iPod connector or updates (TechArt steering wheel, etc.). Local Porsche dealer quoted $3800 for 4 year 48K miles bumper to bumper and this is one of the few times where it just did not make cents.

In a state where it rains quite a bit, I barely have 3-4 months of decent weather driving on the weekends. Maybe a few road trips here and there but probably less then 7500 miles per year. Basically with Planet 9 Forum and local club members who are friendly and helpful - I passed on the extended warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. I love the ones about trading it in for the Spyder, although I'm not sure that would be in the financial cards at the moment :hilarious:

I'm leaning towards simply keeping her and not getting the extended warranty. I don't expect to drive her more than 3-4k miles a year so hopefully (knock on wood) nothing major happens in the next couple of years. About to take a lunch time drive up the PCH to help me solidify my decision.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Keep it, that's my opinion. I kept my S2000 when I bought my Cayman and it is nice to have the choice as to which car to drive depending on the weather.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.