Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to porsche's and cars in general. I just got my 2014 cayman s a couple months ago and now I'm in the market to buy to aftermarket performance parts. I'm looking for hp gains and all around better performance. I have a budget of $6000 and no clue what to buy with it. Any suggestions?????

·
Registered
332 Posts
Check out this package, a bit above your budget, but I bet you call them up they will give you 10-15% off. I have all these items on my car that I purchased individually, you may find somethings used if you have time to wait.
This is pretty much every power adding device known outside of a risky turbo build.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm very new to porsche's and cars in general. I just got my 2014 cayman s a couple months ago and now I'm in the market to buy to aftermarket performance parts. I'm looking for hp gains and all around better performance. I have a budget of $6000 and no clue what to buy with it. Any suggestions?????
A set of headers (Soul, FVD, Cargraphic, Dundon, Fabspeed) and a custom Cobb, Softronic or FVD ECU tune are known to be the most bang for the buck performance wise and will come in at or under your budget. Any other mods will add small single digit if any gains and will be way up near 7K rpm where most street cars are rarely driven. Headers/tune will give noticeable gains down under the curve where street cars are driven

If you want really big power gains over what you have now, then same recommendations but it will need to be on a 718 turbo Cayman and not the naturally aspirated one you have now. Your current car with the above two mods will tap out in the 365-370 crank HP range which is the limit for these motors

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I heard about that. There's someone that I go to the track with that has a turbo kit on a 981 and he says he hats it bc it runs so hot. Wonder why that is?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A set of headers (Soul, FVD, Cargraphic, Dundon, Fabspeed) and a custom Cobb, Softronic or FVD ECU tune are known to be the most bang for the buck performance wise and will come in at or under your budget. Any other mods will add small single digit if any gains and will be way up near 7K rpm where most street cars are rarely driven. Headers/tune will give noticeable gains down under the curve where street cars are driven

If you want really big power gains over what you have now, then same recommendations but it will need to be on a 718 turbo Cayman and not the naturally aspirated one you have now. Your current car with the above two mods will tap out in the 365-370 crank HP range which is the limit for these motors
Thank you for the help

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sell it and buy a 718. Much easier to add HP to the little turbo engines.
That would be pretty cool. Unfortunately, I'm only 16 so A I don't have the money for a 718 even if i were to sell my 981 and put forth all my savings, also I kinda can't legally do anything like that bc of my age obv. Either way I personally prefer the sound of the 981 over the 718 so I'd take it over it any day. Thank you for the suggestion though>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out this package, a bit above your budget, but I bet you call them up they will give you 10-15% off. I have all these items on my car that I purchased individually, you may find somethings used if you have time to wait.
This is pretty much every power adding device known outside of a risky turbo build.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
I saw and considered that but the only thing I want out of that package would be the access port, the IDP plenum, and the gt3 throttle body. I like that it includes the fabspeed exhaust but I actually found 2 that sound much better in my opinion (SOUL competition exhaust & topspeedpro1 exhaust. I've yet to find any headers I like though:/

·
Registered
326 Posts
That would be pretty cool. Unfortunately, I'm only 16 so A I don't have the money for a 718 even if i were to sell my 981 and put forth all my savings, also I kinda can't legally do anything like that bc of my age obv. Either way I personally prefer the sound of the 981 over the 718 so I'd take it over it any day. Thank you for the suggestion though>
I know, my post wasn't very helpful.

I have a 981 and I'm perfectly satisfied with the performance. For the street, it has more than enough power for my needs. I find that the best enjoyment comes while keeping the revs above 4000.

Good luck to you in your journey.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, my post wasn't very helpful.

I have a 981 and I'm perfectly satisfied with the performance. For the street, it has more than enough power for my needs. I find that the best enjoyment comes while keeping the revs above 4000.

Good luck to you in your journey.
right back at you my man. And I feel the exact same like I love the car to death it just lacks that oompf in the lower rpm's ya know?

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
772 Posts
Spend your $6K on seat time. Join your local PCA or NASA, Chin or whomever does HPDE's in your area. Take it to the track. Learn to drive it.

I've beat plenty of vettes, GT4's, 911's and a few GT3's around the track because, for relative novices, driving skill can beat horsepower. Once you know how to drive it, you can add headers and a tune for a bit more horsepower, or maybe you'll decide to get a dedicated track car and do TT or W2W racing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spend your $6K on seat time. Join your local PCA or NASA, Chin or whomever does HPDE's in your area. Take it to the track. Learn to drive it.

I've beat plenty of vettes, GT4's, 911's and a few GT3's around the track because, for relative novices, driving skill can beat horsepower. Once you know how to drive it, you can add headers and a tune for a bit more horsepower, or maybe you'll decide to get a dedicated track car and do TT or W2W racing.
The good new is since me and my stepdad both do de's together I don't have to spend MY money on the track aspect of things. However there are very few groups that will let a 16 yr old participate here. Also since you know about chin can I ask you something? Someone told me and my stepdad I had to be 18 to drive but I just read on the Chin forum that you can drive at 16-17 yrs old if you have a waiver signed. Which one of these is true?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The good new is since me and my stepdad both do de's together I don't have to spend MY money on the track aspect of things. However there are very few groups that will let a 16 yr old participate here. Also since you know about chin can I ask you something? Someone told me and my stepdad I had to be 18 to drive but I just read on the Chin forum that you can drive at 16-17 yrs old if you have a waiver signed. Which one of these is true?
News***

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Also I would love to have a dedicated track car bc my cayman is also my daily. I think it would cost wayyyyyy too much tho and there's also no way I could convince my parents to let me buy it even if all the money were to come out of my pocket. Not to mention insurance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As a 981 S owner that has done a lot of mods I will add that if I were doing it all again and only looking for power improvements...I would install Cargraphic modular headers so I am emissions compliant when needed and wide open for the track (get them ceramic coated by Swaintech to help with heat). I would do a protune via a Cobb access port. I would add less restrictive air filters. Get all of this from BGB and be done with the power upgrades. I would not waste a penny on the plenum and throttle body - data shows they do very little for these engines.

I would spend that money on a third radiator and if you are going to track it, racing brake pads. If you have PASM, I would add the DSC control box; if you have standard suspension, I would either go x73 or look into Ohlins coilovers. Last thing if tracking, look into Apex 18" wheels with re-71R tires.

I probably blew through your budget with that but all have compelling value to me and it was all money well spent. I did a few other mods that did not add as much improvement as I had hoped...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a 981 S owner that has done a lot of mods I will add that if I were doing it all again and only looking for power improvements...I would install Cargraphic modular headers so I am emissions compliant when needed and wide open for the track (get them ceramic coated by Swaintech to help with heat). I would do a protune via a Cobb access port. I would add less restrictive air filters. Get all of this from BGB and be done with the power upgrades. I would not waste a penny on the plenum and throttle body - data shows they do very little for these engines.

I would spend that money on a third radiator and if you are going to track it, racing brake pads. If you have PASM, I would add the DSC control box; if you have standard suspension, I would either go x73 or look into Ohlins coilovers. Last thing if tracking, look into Apex 18" wheels with re-71R tires.

I probably blew through your budget with that but all have compelling value to me and it was all money well spent. I did a few other mods that did not add as much improvement as I had hoped...
My budget is 6k. If you don't mind me asking roughly how much did all that cost you? Since this is also my daily, would doing all this make it a pain in the *** to drive on normal roads (scraping and whatnot)? Also I Was actually planning on getting those apex rims, the protune & cobb access port regardless of whatever else I buy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My budget is 6k. If you don't mind me asking roughly how much did all that cost you? Since this is also my daily, would doing all this make it a pain in the *** to drive on normal roads (scraping and whatnot)? Also I Was actually planning on getting those apex rims, the protune & cobb access port regardless of whatever else I buy.
Also emissions or other legality/enviromental issues don't really apply in Alabama. With that being said, are those headers you mentioned still your go to choice???

·
Registered
772 Posts
NASA will let you drive at 16 with parental consent. I believe PCA will as well, but the rules vary by region.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think it would cost wayyyyyy too much tho
I bought a full track-prepped 1995 BMW M3 for $12K, and actually split the cost with a friend, so it was only $6K out-of-pocket, and it was track-ready. You can get into a Miata for far less than that, which is a great car to start. There is no insurance on track cars. You break it, you eat it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The problem with track cars is that then you need a place to store it, and a trailer and a tow vehicle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts