Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My budget is 6k. If you don't mind me asking roughly how much did all that cost you? Since this is also my daily, would doing all this make it a pain in the *** to drive on normal roads (scraping and whatnot)? Also I Was actually planning on getting those apex rims, the protune & cobb access port regardless of whatever else I buy.
You are looking at $4k for the headers (and yes I would do the modular Cargraphics). The ceramic coating was $400 or so. The third radiator was $1500. Racing/Track pads are $600. I would add the Tarett caliper stud kit for the brake calipers (makes changing pads much easier) $200 and SRF brake fluid $75.

I have no idea what the labor would run for all of this because I did it all myself and it was pretty straight forward - makes for a good off season project.

At that point you have spent your budget. If you have PASM then the next mod I would do after raising some more cash would be the DSC controller. If you do not have PASM, you could go with the x73 suspension package for $1500 and again install it yourself - I did and while more time and effort than the above mods, easily doable by a moderately skilled home mechanic.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I put the the Softronic software on mine and couldn’t be happier with the linear power curve. Also in the suspension area have PASM so I added X73 sway bars, started with the rear which was nice but didn’t feel balanced. Then added the front. Fantastic setup for the street and track if you don’t want to make adjustments otherwise if you do there are other options. Exhaust wise I took off the the Sports mufflers and put on stock to get rid of the drone at high way speeds. I have PDK not much of an issue with the manual trans from what I have read.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agree with some above - Porsches are really engineered. I do not recall you saying - but you should drive - as-is for at least 6 months or more. Go to track days once you are comfortable. Go on local Porsche events. etc. You might find that what you learn about the car and how to drive it, is more fun that adding dollar signs to it. THEN, if you see a specific need or shortfall, then spend the money to get it like you want it. You may decide you do not want (or can afford ) tracking the car, you are quite young. Enjoy what Porsche engineers designed and get everything out of it they put into it. Then decide. You might accidentally cover up something you never knew you really had! Sorry for the old man speak, but these things are marvels.... enjoy it, like a good recipe, do not throw everything into it at the beginning,,, taste it as you go along, and end up with something VERY Delicious !

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
332 Posts
Go to Rennlist Marketplace. Right now you can get following for $5050:
Fabspeed Valvetronic exhaust and sport headers,
IDP plenum and GT3 throttle body
TPC front and rear sway bars (will need links)

·
Registered
2021 Macan Turbo
54 Posts
The 981S is a great car when stock - work on your driving skills with it. See if there's a PCA autocross that will let you run at your age. Mine has PDK and the COBB system made it a wonderful transmission instead of a great one. Proper tires are a huge component of handling - RE71R's or Sport Cup 2's won't last long, but they really perform. I've added GT3 lower control arms (LCA) for lots of negative camber and even better handling.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As a 981 S owner that has done a lot of mods I will add that if I were doing it all again and only looking for power improvements...I would install Cargraphic modular headers so I am emissions compliant when needed and wide open for the track (get them ceramic coated by Swaintech to help with heat). I would do a protune via a Cobb access port. I would add less restrictive air filters. Get all of this from BGB and be done with the power upgrades. I would not waste a penny on the plenum and throttle body - data shows they do very little for these engines.

I would spend that money on a third radiator and if you are going to track it, racing brake pads. If you have PASM, I would add the DSC control box; if you have standard suspension, I would either go x73 or look into Ohlins coilovers. Last thing if tracking, look into Apex 18" wheels with re-71R tires.

I probably blew through your budget with that but all have compelling value to me and it was all money well spent. I did a few other mods that did not add as much improvement as I had hoped...
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a 981 CGTS and I just put in high flow filters and am thinking about headers and Cobb.
Is there that much extra heat from the Cargraphic headers than stock?
How effective is the ceramic?
Why those over SP? Is there a pipe that can be subbed in for the cat when you want to hit the track?
Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cannot comment on the heat for aftermarket (Cargraphics) headers vs stock - I would think they would be less since they are 200 cell cats which are less restrictive but that is only a guess. The ceramic works really well, you can really feel how much less hot the headers is after driving - I would absolutely do it again. If you are worried about heat, you can install the heatshields that were designed for a 911 which help isolate the coils from the hat (you can even wrap the shield with heat reflecting wrap from DEI - I did and they work great).

I personally like the Cargraphics modular headers because you have a cat section for emissions compliance and when you are at the track, you can swap out the cats for a straight pipe and be catless.

Be aware that the off the shelf Cobb tunes will throw a CEL code without cats - I would recommend a protune with the Cobb if you go headers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I cannot comment on the heat for aftermarket (Cargraphics) headers vs stock - I would think they would be less since they are 200 cell cats which are less restrictive but that is only a guess. The ceramic works really well, you can really feel how much less hot the headers is after driving - I would absolutely do it again. If you are worried about heat, you can install the heatshields that were designed for a 911 which help isolate the coils from the hat (you can even wrap the shield with heat reflecting wrap from DEI - I did and they work great).

I personally like the Cargraphics modular headers because you have a cat section for emissions compliance and when you are at the track, you can swap out the cats for a straight pipe and be catless.

Be aware that the off the shelf Cobb tunes will throw a CEL code without cats - I would recommend a protune with the Cobb if you go headers.
i read somewhere about the cel code. How much would a protune cost?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Agree with some above - Porsches are really engineered. I do not recall you saying - but you should drive - as-is for at least 6 months or more. Go to track days once you are comfortable. Go on local Porsche events. etc. You might find that what you learn about the car and how to drive it, is more fun that adding dollar signs to it. THEN, if you see a specific need or shortfall, then spend the money to get it like you want it. You may decide you do not want (or can afford ) tracking the car, you are quite young. Enjoy what Porsche engineers designed and get everything out of it they put into it. Then decide. You might accidentally cover up something you never knew you really had! Sorry for the old man speak, but these things are marvels.... enjoy it, like a good recipe, do not throw everything into it at the beginning,,, taste it as you go along, and end up with something VERY Delicious !
You don't have to apologize for the old man speak i completely agree with you 100%. I believe all older people are more experienced and obviously know WAY more than me. That's why i put my question on this forum in the first place :). I'll prob wait until Christmas to do anything to my car so by that time hopefully i'll have done what you said and discovered something new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The 981S is a great car when stock - work on your driving skills with it. See if there's a PCA autocross that will let you run at your age. Mine has PDK and the COBB system made it a wonderful transmission instead of a great one. Proper tires are a huge component of handling - RE71R's or Sport Cup 2's won't last long, but they really perform. I've added GT3 lower control arms (LCA) for lots of negative camber and even better handling.
I don't believe PCA does autocross I can participate in over here. I know for a fact SCCA does tho bc I've done it. Apart form autocross and DE's how do I improve my skills?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Also when it comes to affording or wanting to track my car that's a weird topic. Like on one hand I really really want to track it but on the other hand its my daily and if I were to **** something up it would be a huge pain in the *** regardless of who's paying for it. My stepdad does all sorts of track events in his gt4 and I mean i could just share that car with him but I'm really scared. That's a LOT of car for my age plus it isn't mine and I'd feel guilty if I messed something up. I really hate relying on others to pay for or doe something for me so I might wait a bit until I can afford to track it completely by myself. idk man

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
773 Posts
As far as tracking your car goes, it's important to distinguish between HPDE and racing. HPDE is not racing. HPDE is an arena where you can legally, safely and progressively improve your driving skills and explore the performance characteristics of your car. It really is an educational environment where you gradually expand your performance envelope at your speed with instructors that help you understand vehicle dynamics and how to improve your skills. I've been driving for 36 years and learned more in my first 6 track days than I could have imagined. I continue to learn each time I am out. As you gain experience, your level of learning correlates with the effort you put into it.

My experience with PCA events is that I was never fearful of messing up my car in the lower run groups. My Boxster is my daily driver and the most expensive car I've ever owned, but at a PCA event it is one of the cheapest cars on the track. The guys around you don't want to mess up their cars any more than you do, so the level of caution and mutual respect on the track is high. Off-track excursions in the lower run groups rarely happen, and in only one instance have I ever seen any body contact at PCA HPDE event, and it was in the intermediate run group.

As you move up, I think the risk level increases because the speed increases and you tend to push the envelope a bit more. But that risk level is generally in your control.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Also obv the 981 s 3.4L engine is naturally aspirated but wouldn't a water/methanol injection still increase its hp by like 15????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
As far as tracking your car goes, it's important to distinguish between HPDE and racing. HPDE is not racing. HPDE is an arena where you can legally, safely and progressively improve your driving skills and explore the performance characteristics of your car. It really is an educational environment where you gradually expand your performance envelope at your speed with instructors that help you understand vehicle dynamics and how to improve your skills. I've been driving for 36 years and learned more in my first 6 track days than I could have imagined. I continue to learn each time I am out. As you gain experience, your level of learning correlates with the effort you put into it.

My experience with PCA events is that I was never fearful of messing up my car in the lower run groups. My Boxster is my daily driver and the most expensive car I've ever owned, but at a PCA event it is one of the cheapest cars on the track. The guys around you don't want to mess up their cars any more than you do, so the level of caution and mutual respect on the track is high. Off-track excursions in the lower run groups rarely happen, and in only one instance have I ever seen any body contact at PCA HPDE event, and it was in the intermediate run group.

As you move up, I think the risk level increases because the speed increases and you tend to push the envelope a bit more. But that risk level is generally in your control.
i understand that I'm in complete control of my actions whilst driving i just get very anxious. But then again who doesn't. I have got A LOT to learn still but i obviously believe I'm a better driver than majority of the people my age. I'm trying to get into this track stuff as a whole so I can ACTUALLY race in the future and be more talented than others at a younger age. The sooner you start the better you'll be right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm very new to porsche's and cars in general. I just got my 2014 cayman s a couple months ago and now I'm in the market to buy to aftermarket performance parts. I'm looking for hp gains and all around better performance. I have a budget of $6000 and no clue what to buy with it. Any suggestions?????
it would probably be smart to mention that it has the PDK trans NOT the manual trans

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Go to Rennlist Marketplace. Right now you can get following for $5050:
Fabspeed Valvetronic exhaust and sport headers,
IDP plenum and GT3 throttle body
TPC front and rear sway bars (will need links)
Also whats it like having turbos on a cayman that isnt the 718????/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm very new to porsche's and cars in general. I just got my 2014 cayman s a couple months ago and now I'm in the market to buy to aftermarket performance parts. I'm looking for hp gains and all around better performance. I have a budget of $6000 and no clue what to buy with it. Any suggestions?????
So it has been a year since I first posted this and I've done a few things to my cayman. I purchased an afe catback exhaust, fabspeed long tube race headers, a tune through fabspeed, and performance air filters. (the headers, tune, and filters haven't been installed yet because I'm still waiting for the headers to ship and I want to do everything at once) I'm sure my car will sound NUTS once it is all done. I will keep ya'll updated

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So it has been a year since I first posted this and I've done a few things to my cayman. I purchased an afe catback exhaust, fabspeed long tube race headers, a tune through fabspeed, and performance air filters. (the headers, tune, and filters haven't been installed yet because I'm still waiting for the headers to ship and I want to do everything at once) I'm sure my car will sound NUTS once it is all done. I will keep ya'll updated
I hope to also have my car sitting on Vossen HF-5's by early next year. I already have the front set I just need the rear

21 - 39 of 39 Posts