Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any specific problems with the Cayman or Cayman S I need to be aware of?

Specific years or a VIN range to avoid? I've heard about some issues with pistons cracking and a bearing? Can someone enlighten me on the details and what cars are affected?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Miscellaneous advice (some of which you may already know, but some things to think about):

1. Go for a Cayman S.

2. The newer the better, as Porsche did some minor incremental improvements, even in the Gen 1 cars. The Gen 2 engines are better, IMO, and the Gen 2 base Cayman is actually pretty good (though I'd still go for the S).

3. My advice for used sports car buying is the same regardless of marque. Find a private sale car from the original owner, where it was treated like a garage queen or at least something really special. I especially like the ones where someone says they never drove it in the rain. :) These cars are usually in near-new condition with low miles, and were always babied. You never know what happens once a used car is on a dealer's lot. You may pay a little more for someone's pride and joy garage queen, but the risk is so much lower. Of course, you'll have to be patient to find one.

4. Unless you are rather expert in determining the condition of cars, have the car inspected by a Porsche tech. I know folks that have unknowingly bought cars that were in accidents (CarFax doesn't lie, but it is often incomplete), or have subtle mechanical problems that even the original owner didn't know about. If the car doesn't go on a lift it hasn't been inspected.

5. I personally wouldn't buy a car that has been driven in road salt. No matter what so-called "experts" say, road salt still corrodes metal on modern cars. The only improvement has been that the body panels don't rust through so quickly.

6. Make sure you know the service history of the car. A dealer can tell you if warranty work has been done.

7. Avoid yellow cars and black cars at all costs! :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Ditto Gen 2 S. The car is not overly powerful even with the 320bhp. For a street car it's just right. I would recommend PASM if you can find it. Really makes long highway rides very pleasant. And remember if you go for PDK and plan to stay stock the consensus here is you need Sport Crono. Enjoy your search:cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When did Gen 2 cars start?

...and were you joking about yellow and black cars? If not -- why are you saying this? I think yellow is one of the nicest looking colors on these cars!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Any specific problems with the Cayman or Cayman S I need to be aware of?

Specific years or a VIN range to avoid? I've heard about some issues with pistons cracking and a bearing? Can someone enlighten me on the details and what cars are affected?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Turboguy, If you listen to blueone then private message me. I have not listed my 2010 CS and have only put it out there via this site when I see post like yours. My 2010 GT sliver/full leather in cocoa and Alcantara headliner plus many many options. Around 23k in options. is up for grabs. Perfect car and I love her and know I will miss her however have always wanted a 911 and and finally built one. 2011 911 S completion date is June 24th so should arrive around mid to end of July. My CS just hit 5,000 miles so just broken in. Garage kept and is my baby so you will not find a better car. Has full speed film as well. Car was 82K plus around $1,400 for the film. Asking 68k so this is a sweet deal. Could you buy a 2010 CS for less? Sure but not like this one! GT Silver is a 3k plus pain job. Full leather is not seen much on Caymans. Anyway if interested pm me and if you want me to call you include your cell. If not have fun with your search. As they say once Porsche gets in your blood.... This will be my second one in less than a year. The Cayman S was delivered to me at the end of October 09'

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Turboguy, If you listen to blueone then private message me. I have not listed my 2010 CS and have only put it out there via this site when I see post like yours. My 2010 GT sliver/full leather in cocoa and Alcantara headliner plus many many options. Around 23k in options. is up for grabs. Perfect car and I love her and know I will miss her however have always wanted a 911 and and finally built one. 2011 911 S completion date is June 24th so should arrive around mid to end of July. My CS just hit 5,000 miles so just broken in. Garage kept and is my baby so you will not find a better car. Has full speed film as well. Car was 82K plus around $1,400 for the film. Asking 68k so this is a sweet deal. Could you buy a 2010 CS for less? Sure but not like this one! GT Silver is a 3k plus pain job. Full leather is not seen much on Caymans. Anyway if interested pm me and if you want me to call you include your cell. If not have fun with your search. As they say once Porsche gets in your blood.... This will be my second one in less than a year. The Cayman S was delivered to me at the end of October 09'
Wow, that sounds like an awesome car, and *exactly* the circumstances I recommend. I'm glad you're in GA, which is too far from OR for me to contemplate. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
When did Gen 2 cars start?

...and were you joking about yellow and black cars? If not -- why are you saying this? I think yellow is one of the nicest looking colors on these cars!
Gen 2 cars started in 2009.

Of course I was joking about black and yellow cars! Hence the hilarious emoticon... Well, at least I was joking a little bit. Black cars are a PITA to maintain, and yellow cars are mostly not my taste, and they attract bugs. FWIW, I currently own a black car, and we previously owned a yellow one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow, that sounds like an awesome car, and *exactly* the circumstances I recommend. I'm glad you're in GA, which is too far from OR for me to contemplate. ;)
Blueone Go ahead and tempt yourself. Fly one way and make the drive home a fun one...

Thanks for your feedback. I think this is a great deal for someone.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you have some cash to blow that car of Lucky's is beyond sweet. Basically brand new with a great set of options. Color combo IMHO is one of the best. Full leather is extremely nice-I've got too in my 2010 Cayman S.(no, I'm not getting a kickback from Lucky for this post):cheers:

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Having been to the Cayman Tech session which PCA / Cayman Registry / Porsche of Arlington put on yesterday in Virginia, a couple things came up:

(1) Have an inspection done on all potential leaks, including anything from the back of the engine (Rear Main Seal is a potential failure area with Gen 1 engines - the head mechanic indicated a key cause is starting the car from cold and regularly revving to the redline, like one might do at the track, which causes three different metals in the engine to expand at different rates). RMS damage, while it is stressed by the dealer to be extremely rare, is expensive enough to repair that Porsche will issue a new engine rather than have the dealer take apart and repair the old one. If the car was a track toy, there is naturally a greater risk than if it was a daily driver or a garage queen.

(2) Check the rubber O-rings and piping for the air conditioning system. If the air is not turned on regularly (even during winter), the piping may go through expansion/contraction, and the rubber O-ring (gasket-like fittings) and tubes could crack and freon leaks out. My O-rings at the firewall were replaced 7 months after buying the car (under warranty), but as the air conditioning compressor is in back, the condensor is in front, etc, there's a lot of tubing under the car, cleverly hidden by those innocuous-looking black-plastic panels that give the bottom of the car a flat, dull (but undoubtedly aerodynamic) look that harkens back to the 356. The brake fluid lines and power steering lines hide under those panels as well, with the power steering coolant lines making nifty curly-cues under the driver's seat to cool the liquid in the pipes. Needless to say, look for leaks where you think none might occur given everything is supposedly in back of the car.....

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you have some cash to blow that car of Lucky's is beyond sweet. Basically brand new with a great set of options. Color combo IMHO is one of the best. Full leather is extremely nice-I've got too in my 2010 Cayman S.(no, I'm not getting a kickback from Lucky for this post):cheers:
Thanks Croctor! Checks in the mail... LOL Appreciate your support. When I read this and then look at my car, I ask myself if I am crazy? It truly is a beautiful car. If only I could keep it when the 911 shows up I would have it all.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Blueone Go ahead and tempt yourself. Fly one way and make the drive home a fun one...

Thanks for your feedback. I think this is a great deal for someone.
I see from the image you posted you went crazy with leather too. Leather console, steering column, embossed console lid... and a 6-speed too... nice job. But three 987s would be too much for me. No garage space. :)

Seriously, Turboguy, if I were in the market, and this car was in my price range, I'd be talking to Lucky tonight, before he comes to his senses and forgets about a 911.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I see from the image you posted you went crazy with leather too. Leather console, steering column, embossed console lid... and a 6-speed too... nice job. But three 987s would be too much for me. No garage space. :)

Seriously, Turboguy, if I were in the market, and this car was in my price range, I'd be talking to Lucky tonight, before he comes to his senses and forgets about a 911.
I understand 100%. You are correct, if Turboguy calls soon he may get the best deal of his life. If Not the more post I read like these could make me second guess the 911. After all we all know how awesome this mid engine set up is. May need to go by Porsche tomorrow and drive another 911 to make sure. They would all hate this site if it makes me change my mind...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I understand 100%. You are correct, if Turboguy calls soon he may get the best deal of his life. If Not the more post I read like these could make me second guess the 911. After all we all know how awesome this mid engine set up is. May need to go by Porsche tomorrow and drive another 911 to make sure. They would all hate this site if it makes me change my mind...
Reality is all these cars are sweet, Cayman or 911. I'm totally content with my Cayman and won't be changing anytime soon. Good luck with whatever you end up driving, Lucky and Turboguy.:cheers:

·
Registered
160 Posts
My thoughts are these....I had a 2007 CS, 18" wheels with stock suspension, it was red with tan interior...I ended up trading that for a 2009 base Cayman with what for me were nice options: the prime reasons for the change...given that I use it daily and don't track it
std suspension seemed hard for driving around town...on less than perfect roads...getting the adjustible/hyrdo suspension would cure that; I never really got over how "cheapie" the interior felt; and for business there was no simple, clean way to install BT/ipod...so it integrated nicely with hands off use; I also am very leary of keeping a GEN 1 car for long time....due to RMS and intermediate shaft concerns, while some don't worry nearly every 2005-07 Porsche I looked at...the sales guy proudly noted that the RMS was fixed...also if you were to get a GEN 1 I would strongly advocate geting one with the Porsche extended factory warranty...I certainly got my money's worth...clutch cable, thrust bearing, new key setup
the GEN/2 base model is nearly as fast as the GEN/1 CS model...neither model has alot of torque below 4000rpm...and I am not into traffic light racing or tracking...GEN/2 has new block which hopefully cures some lingering issues with the prior engine, it seems to ride much better, the car seems to have a nicer grade of interior materials and better overall fit and finish...the GEN/2 is faster...and with the hydro suspension should ride much better....though I am a little leary of the new DFI systems which seem to have some issues...as VW and Audi have had
Another thought I would offer is about garage queens...while body and paint wise they should be perfect...I have always had a better experience with cars that are driven on a regular basis...and if you get a GEN/1 I would suggested getting one with the extended PNA warranty....they go through the cars when they certifiy them and personally I am not enthused about paying for repairs on these cars....just my thoughts...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Reality is all these cars are sweet, Cayman or 911. I'm totally content with my Cayman and won't be changing anytime soon. Good luck with whatever you end up driving, Lucky and Turboguy.:cheers:
Thanks Croctor! That is the problem. i want them all. I am sure I will be fine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
They have low front ends... you might want to look under/around the front end grill to see how badly it has been scrapped :hilarious:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts