Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size Spacers are possible with Stock 18" wheels and brakes, pictures appreciated

Hello all

I want to add spacers to my '07 CS and am trying to find how wide I can go in front and Back on stock 18" wheels and brakes

Hoping to go 12mm in front and 8mm in back (more, if possible).
This is for looks alone, not expecting any handling improvements (hopefully no adverse effects either). Car is my DD and I dont do any track days/DE.

If you guys can post pictures of your car that would be great.

Thank you in advance

·
Banned
3,875 Posts
Re: What size Spacers are possible with Stock 18" wheels and brakes, pictures appreci

for the 987 .. it is recommended that you go 7 mm in the fronts only.. and 7mm, 12mm, 15mm for the rear... for that flush look with no rubs.. most people go for the 15mm in the rear..

We have them in stock and ready to ship today..

2cents
Lemon

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: What size Spacers are possible with Stock 18" wheels and brakes, pictures appreci

I did 7mm front, 15mm rear. My car is lowered on H&R springs with 19 inch wheels. I have only driven it a short distance since doing it, but so far seems to be no issues.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I'm also running 7mm front and 15mm rear on H&R lowering springs. Looks perfect to me.

·
Registered
355 Posts

I did 7mm front, 15mm rear. My car is lowered on H&R springs with 19 inch wheels. I have only driven it a short distance since doing it, but so far seems to be no issues.

Hope this helps.
Tenacious, what rims are you running? These look like Carrera rims, and may be higher offset then stock Cayman rims.

·
Registered
130 Posts

15/25 on my car. has aggressive alignment for the track so far from stock alignment no rubbing no issues

·
Registered
101 Posts

Tenacious, what rims are you running? These look like Carrera rims, and may be higher offset then stock Cayman rims.
They are the Carrera classics that were a factory option on my car. Not sure if the offset is non-standard for Cayman but they sure look better with the spacers.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Not on the 18s but mine on the Carrera Sport 19s with 12mm spacers all round:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

bmw 30, any rear fender picture in the sunshine? Would like to see the agressive look of the 25 mm spacers on the rear of the car. I am installing 10 mm in front and 18 mm in back to increase track along with adjustable Tarett Sway Bars, Ohlin R&T coilovers along with corner balance and competition alignment. I will post pictures when done in a few weeks.

·
Registered
130 Posts

bmw 30, any rear fender picture in the sunshine? Would like to see the agressive look of the 25 mm spacers on the rear of the car. I am installing 10 mm in front and 18 mm in back to increase track along with adjustable Tarett Sway Bars, Ohlin R&T coilovers along with corner balance and competition alignment. I will post pictures when done in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

bmw e30, excellant showing the increased rear track to the outside of the wheel wells. If you look at Arch's Red Cayman 987.2 pictures of 20 inch Carrera III wheels he put on his car at a $3500 price with wheels and tires, your stance is everybit as agressive as his and you are on 18 inch wheels, which ride much more smoothly over bumpy roads.

·
Registered
484 Posts

Wow, sweet looking car, AndyGreen.

I have 7 front, 15 rear on my 987.1.

Mainly because I had 7mms around from my 944, and they worked fine.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

BMW _ e30, Do you feel that the front spacers help with turn in vs not having them. Also, are the front side wall still inside of the fender lip? I am running 10 mm and think I could have gone a little bit larger spacer in front if that helps turn in. Some racers suggest that spacers hurt the nimbleness of the car, especially when turned back and forth as in some autocross courses. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Let me know how your spacers are affecting the inherent understeer of the Cayman. I have 10 mm in front and 18 mm in back, resulting in some understeering at apex with throttle on. I am thinking that 15 mm in front would help balance out the car.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

So I ordered a set of 23 mm spacers for the rear to replace the 18 mm which will go to the front to replace the current 10 mm spacers. I guess I will need to routinely monitor my wheel bearings and keep plenty of wax on the sides of my car. This should allow for greater pressure on the outside tires on turn in and G loading. I am not so sure about balance and understeer yet. Pictures will be posted soon.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

View attachment 161282 View attachment 161274 View attachment 161266
View attachment 168562
As pictured above (10 mm front and 18 mm rear spacers, 30 mm Ohlin coilover drop. Camber -1.6 Front and -2.1 rear).

I have changed the spacers to 23mm in the rear and 18 mm in front and changed my front sway bar to #4 hole from #3 (softer) to try to gain more front tire patch grip. Seems my car is sliding around corners more with these spacers, but not rolling, more of a flat slide, even with negative camber. Tire pressure around 32 front and 35 rear for normal daily driving. I still have tread on my Michelin PSS's but I am thinking the rubber is getting old.

Autocrossing is wearing tires evenly now with the added camber. PCA limits the amount of camber by not allowing non stock lower control arms or camber plates in my class. I have 1 sway bar hole open to soften the front sway bar. Rear sway bar is on 2nd hole of 4 from stiffest. Ohlins are at 8 front and 10 rear. 0 stiffest and 20 softest.

My goal is to get more grip in front at this point with these tires. I plan on getting new track 18 inch wheels and tires for next season, but I want to maximize this setup first. Any ideas that may add front grip would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hope this helps.
Hi Kevin,
Do you still have the part numbers for the spacers and bolts?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
18 mm in front and 23 mm in the rear as described above!
DSC_0008.JPG

1 - 20 of 26 Posts