Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today while driving back from my lunch break, I notice that my shift knob was limp. It was like it was not connected or like the shifter cable broke. But it didn't. The car got stuck in second gear and I drove the car back home (less than 3 miles away). After getting beneath my car I noticed that the cable was out of the little ball where it's supposed to be. The cable wasn't broken neither the plastic thing that connects to the ball. So I just plugged it back and it grabs like it is supposed to. I don't know if this has happened to anyone of you where it just comes loose. Fyi excuse the spanish to English translation or errors.

Should I just go ahead and replace the cable just to play it safe? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would. If it happened once it's likely to happen again. Next time you may not be so lucky to be able to drive anywhere.:cheers:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the cable need any type of lube where it attaches to the trans? Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would zip tie until it actually breaks (i.e. snaps), then go to the Numeric cables...I have a set of Numerics in my trunk for not if, but when it does break the next time

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if it uses lubricant(where it attaches to the trans)? Btw thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
325 Posts
don't use any lubricant as that will only allow it more movement...it should snap right on and stay there. Then use a heavy duty zip towards the back of the cable (right behind the connection point on the arm connected to the transmission)

·
Registered
325 Posts
...theres almost 3 different layers of plastic to that shift cable attachment, make sure to check that it hasn't cracked or split..good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, will look into it this weekend. Is there a way to remove it without risking breaking it?(proper technique)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts