Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a newbie to your forum, and I need some help making a buying decision. The 6 cyl 2015 Boxster GTS really has my interest, as it looks really cool and has the driving features (and sound) that key my interest. However, for nearly the same price I can buy a much newer model with the turbo 4 giving me a lot more creature-features that also really interest me. So I'm torn between the sound and driving advantage of the flat 6 2015 and the newer technology of the 4 banger. Any help you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any recommendations as to extended warranty providers? I just talked to Patriot Warranties and they want $5500 for a 7-year/100k "all-is covered" for the 2015 GTS. Anyone out there use this company? Any better deals available? Thanks in advance!
Frank

·
Registered
999 Posts
Frank, I don’t think you can go wrong either way. If sound is more important to you go for the 981. If performance is more important then I would get the 718. The cars are generally very reliable so you’re unlikely to have issues that way — just make sure to do your homework if buying used.

Also, if interior design is your thing then make sure you check out the subtle design differences between the two.

·
Registered
417 Posts
They are both capable fantastic sports cars, it's a decision making dilemma many can only dream about. As for the warranty, my advise would be to put that amount of money aside, somewhere safe hopefully with some modest growth, instant access and insure yourself. I LOL at the "car shield" commercials: "I saved $2,200 with car shield"! Did you remember to deduct the monthly payments from your savings? "No that would ruin the shady marketing of the commercial Boris"....

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
67 Posts
Hi all, I'm a newbie to your forum, and I need some help making a buying decision. The 6 cyl 2015 Boxster GTS really has my interest, as it looks really cool and has the driving features (and sound) that key my interest. However, for nearly the same price I can buy a much newer model with the turbo 4 giving me a lot more creature-features that also really interest me. So I'm torn between the sound and driving advantage of the flat 6 2015 and the newer technology of the 4 banger. Any help you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any recommendations as to extended warranty providers? I just talked to Patriot Warranties and they want $5500 for a 7-year/100k "all-is covered" for the 2015 GTS. Anyone out there use this company? Any better deals available? Thanks in advance!
Frank
Both are great cars, I went thru the same dilemma -- But I'm old fashion and there is no substitute for displacement. I ended up purchasing the naturally aspirated 2015 Boxster S (3.4L) rather than a 718 4cyl turbo. The 6 cyl flat six is great engine, they hold their value pretty well and that's why you can buy a 718 for similar money. You can't go wrong either way just my two cents. I think the 2015 GTS is a great find, a popular car and will hold its value well.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
They will both be good cars, but will drive differently due to the changes.
Take both for a test run IN THE SAME WAY YOU PLAN ON USING THE CAR, and decide which works best for you.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
They will both be good cars, but will drive differently due to the changes.
Take both for a test run IN THE SAME WAY YOU PLAN ON USING THE CAR, and decide which works best for you.
As long as you have insurance to cover you for hospital costs of the car salesman after they get heart attack. :)

Now seriously, I would not drive unknown to me car on unknown to me roads close to the dealership exactly how I intend to drive it when I am familiar with it and on the roads I know as inside of my pockets. Plus, some of us bought them to be used on the racetrack.

I understand what you intended to say, but it took me full 1,000 miles in my car (after about 350 miles in 5 test drives) to fully understand what I bought. This one of those "you gotta step into it blindfolded and have faith" affairs - hair-raising, heart-pounding but the payout is DEFINITELY worth it. And then some. IMO only, of course.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Frank, I don’t think you can go wrong either way. If sound is more important to you go for the 981. If performance is more important then I would get the 718. The cars are generally very reliable so you’re unlikely to have issues that way — just make sure to do your homework if buying used.

Also, if interior design is your thing then make sure you check out the subtle design differences between the two.
Agree with this (and also the next poster suggesting to just putting the cost of the Extended warranty away in the Credit Union and maintaining your car well).
The 718 4 cyl. Turbos are on the way to becoming the latest "Most hated Porsche" which means that they are becoming tremendous bargains. The drivability of the Turbo engines is outstanding (who doesn't love low end torque) and you are getting a car with the latest in Porsche technology. A CPO one would be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In 2017 I went though the same decision on to get a new 2016 GTS or new 2017 718S. I went with 2016 GTS due to the driving enjoyment. I love exhaust sound so that was important to me. The performance difference was minimal for my driving (street and Auto-X). To me the 981 GTS has more soul than 718S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If depreciation and resale value are a concern, I'd def recommend the 981, particularly since it's a GTS. Those are relatively rare and I gotta believe the 6 cyl GTS will hold its value much better than the 718 4 banger.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Once I stated that I dont mind the 4 cylinder turbo. The car is so capable. But the 6 cylinder boxer is an instrument that plays melodies.

I would be stoked to get into the GTS too.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
20 Posts
Frank, I guess one question for you is how you plan to use the car? Will it be a year around daily driver or an extra car that get's used on nice weekends? If I were buying an extra car for the weekends, I think I would get the 981 GTS. As others have stated, it has soul. The 718 might be more practical for everyday use with more modern tech and perhaps a CPO.

Both are great cars and this is a nice decision to be making. Good luck.

·
Vendor
6,478 Posts
It really turbo vs. NA question. The car is basically the same, 718 has just cosmetic upgrades to the front and rear bumper and lights, that's it... And the engine is totally different

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 6 cyl 2015 Boxster GTS really has my interest, as it looks really cool and has the driving features (and sound) that key my interest......... So I'm torn between the sound and driving advantage of the flat 6 2015 and the newer technology of the 4 banger.
Besides the sound, what exactly are the "driving features" and "driving advantage" of the 6 cylinder?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Besides the sound, what exactly are the "driving features" and "driving advantage" of the 6 cylinder?
There's a reason they didn't start using turbochargers in these cars until they had to. It can't be explained, it has to be experienced, and even then not everyone will agree.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try me. Tell me what the "driving advantage" is - something that goes beyond prejudice and personal preference. And maybe Frank the Crank should be involved, since he coined these terms.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Not trying to be inflammatory, but I'm quite interested to know how people's very definite opinions are being formed. I have driven 6-cyl Porsches up until now (well, I still have a 993), and I have to say I have found the turbo four to be pretty good. There is a little lag, but I see that as more involvement in the process, keeping it in range.

Obviously different strokes for different folks...but I ALMOST didn't even bother to drive my new car because of the slagging of the new motor, thinking "I'm kind of a purist, so I'll hate it." WRONG. I will say I love the CAR as a whole, so any specific piece of the puzzle is not of huge importance to me.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Try me. Tell me what the "driving advantage" is - something that goes beyond prejudice and personal preference. And maybe Frank the Crank should be involved, since he coined these terms.
I drove a multiple awards-winning engine for 5 1/2 years (BMW's N55) and I had so much enough of it that I decided to get NA engine next if at all possible. Believe it or not, cars like Miata and BRZ were higher on the list for test drives than M2 because M2 had turbocharged engine. Alfa 4C was last because, in addition to turbocharger, it had automatic only and horrible ergonomics (every review pointed that out).

What bothered me in particular when driving relatively potent (320 hp, 315 lbft @ 1,400 rpm)) turbocharged engine on the street was constant frustration of too much power at too low rpm. I constantly had to brake and short shift in order to not rear-end people. Granted, the way people drive here (rolling on automatic transmission without throttle input) did not help as well as my car being MT.

What ultimately decided the fate of driving a car with turbocharger on track was inconsistency of power delivered given X throttle input. Once I started going really fast and closer to car's cornering limits it became very unsettling when you try to set the chassis between turn in and apex with maintenance throttle. One lap you would get X power on rear wheels, next lap Y and next lap after that zero - all with same throttle input. Granted, I could have made adjustments to my driving style and used more trailbraking instead of classic baking in straight line done before turn in - but I was paying money (quite a bit of it, actually) to have fun, not to win trophies and turbocharger killed that fun pretty quickly.

I will second that you need to feel it to fully understand it. Yes, some people will change driving style to work around it because turbo gives them couple-5 seconds faster lap time. I was not going to do that. Also on the street it is easier to drive potent NA car than a turbocharged one - at least IMO, of course. Yes, chosing PDK or automatic will help with frustration, but for my money, I will chose MT with NA engine preferably.

Now, turbocharger on DIESEL engine - now THAT is something of exceptional beauty and almost perfect powertrain for the street driving and grocery getting. Second only to EV which is on another planet, basically perfect powertrain for grocery getting without any transmission or gear changes. But turbocharger on gasoline engine is truly not all that great. All of that IMO.

Finally, I am not the only one thinking like this. It started with twin turbos with different turbine diameter - small one to spool faster on low revs, then second one will switch on when revs are up there. That wasn't good enough and presented packaging problems, so they invented twin-scroll single turbocharger. Better, but it still wasn't good enough. Then they placed variable turbine geometry to eliminate turbo effects on low revs. Finally, electric motor was placed to spin the turbine off throttle - and all of that expense to make turbocharged engine feel like NA. Do you really think they would go through all that expense in R&D if turbo wasn't a problem?

I do not possess Cosmic Truth, above is only my opinion. Also, please note that it really doesn't matter how many cylinders we are talking about. You can ruin V12 by adding a turbo/turbos to it. IMO again, of course.

Peace out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So in summation, it sounds like the driving "features" and "advantage" of the 6 cylinder are its familiarity, ease, and lower performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Frank
Same first world dilemma here, 981 Cayman S or 718 Cayman S. At first I ignored any used 718s based on the first few car magazine reviews I read with statements in the first paragraph like "would you really pay $80,000 for a 4 cylinder sports (or any other) car?" and "it does not sound like a Porsche anymore". But then after a deal on a 2018 Cayman S fell through and remembering that I live at almost 7000 ft. in Colorado (where the density altitude can be over 11,000 ft on a 100 degree day, at 3% HP loss per 1000 ft. means you are running that 324 HP NA engine at 217 HP, much less than a Subaru WRX), and what a difference turbocharging made on other cars I have had, I started looking further into the 718. And if you can believe C&D and Motor Trend the 718 base is faster than the 981 S at sea level, and the S is faster than the C7 Stingray and Grand Sport at sea level, and the big thing, way faster at the altitudes I drive at. And after test driving a Cayman S in Denver right after a C7 GrandSport (yes I have been cross shopping C7s and Caymans) I was blown away at the acceleration and total lack of turbo lag (that VVT is very cool tech).

And since this will be my first Porsche and I don't know what a Porsche is supposed to sound like, what the hell? I decided to go for the 718s (although I still wanted PSE). Found a 2018 S with very low miles but no PASM/SC which may effect resale value (along with being a 4 cyl) someday but I am too impressed to pass it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drove a multiple awards-winning engine for 5 1/2 years (BMW's N55) and I had so much enough of it that I decided to get NA engine next if at all possible. Believe it or not, cars like Miata and BRZ were higher on the list for test drives than M2 because M2 had turbocharged engine. Alfa 4C was last because, in addition to turbocharger, it had automatic only and horrible ergonomics (every review pointed that out).

What bothered me in particular when driving relatively potent (320 hp, 315 lbft @ 1,400 rpm)) turbocharged engine on the street was constant frustration of too much power at too low rpm. I constantly had to brake and short shift in order to not rear-end people. Granted, the way people drive here (rolling on automatic transmission without throttle input) did not help as well as my car being MT.

What ultimately decided the fate of driving a car with turbocharger on track was inconsistency of power delivered given X throttle input. Once I started going really fast and closer to car's cornering limits it became very unsettling when you try to set the chassis between turn in and apex with maintenance throttle. One lap you would get X power on rear wheels, next lap Y and next lap after that zero - all with same throttle input. Granted, I could have made adjustments to my driving style and used more trailbraking instead of classic baking in straight line done before turn in - but I was paying money (quite a bit of it, actually) to have fun, not to win trophies and turbocharger killed that fun pretty quickly.

I will second that you need to feel it to fully understand it. Yes, some people will change driving style to work around it because turbo gives them couple-5 seconds faster lap time. I was not going to do that. Also on the street it is easier to drive potent NA car than a turbocharged one - at least IMO, of course. Yes, chosing PDK or automatic will help with frustration, but for my money, I will chose MT with NA engine preferably.

Now, turbocharger on DIESEL engine - now THAT is something of exceptional beauty and almost perfect powertrain for the street driving and grocery getting. Second only to EV which is on another planet, basically perfect powertrain for grocery getting without any transmission or gear changes. But turbocharger on gasoline engine is truly not all that great. All of that IMO.

Finally, I am not the only one thinking like this. It started with twin turbos with different turbine diameter - small one to spool faster on low revs, then second one will switch on when revs are up there. That wasn't good enough and presented packaging problems, so they invented twin-scroll single turbocharger. Better, but it still wasn't good enough. Then they placed variable turbine geometry to eliminate turbo effects on low revs. Finally, electric motor was placed to spin the turbine off throttle - and all of that expense to make turbocharged engine feel like NA. Do you really think they would go through all that expense in R&D if turbo wasn't a problem?

I do not possess Cosmic Truth, above is only my opinion. Also, please note that it really doesn't matter how many cylinders we are talking about. You can ruin V12 by adding a turbo/turbos to it. IMO again, of course.

Peace out.
Totally understand your logic but have you driven a 718 S?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts