1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
465 Posts
Considering you've already taken the hit for depreciation, it would be more cost effective to continue with what you have. However, if you do go the gen II route, you get the extra 25 Hp and the better oil control of the newer motor. You can move most of your upgrades over to the newer car. You also get the new car smell!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much is a new engine or used engine if I blow this one? I like the idea of warranty and such, but I actually really like my car.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
10 hours a year at 8/10s. Car has 20,000 miles total and 1 year under the belt of tracking.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like my car, but all these posts about blown engines scare me. We just got another one today. Anyone know how much an used 3.4, 3.6 or 3.8 engine is?

Tomasz

·
Registered
570 Posts
Very tough call. If it were me, i would probably start the search for a lightly used '09. You'll get the benefit of the new motor and power steering and don't have to take it COMPLETELY in the shorts (like some of us did/are doing). For me, after driving both, I really preferred the gen 2. YMMV.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Tomasz

There is a Guy In Pauslbo Wa that has 91K on His 06 Cayman S and its never had 1 single issue .And to top it off he doest even do the proper maintenence at the correct intervals .Car runs like new though .
You only have 20k on your CS ?
With TTP oilsafe and MotorDrive sumpextension installed in my CS -06 I never worry.
I would do this if I had an 06 and keep the car .Thats my 2Cents

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Re: Tomasz

Drooling over your penskes! I say slap a set on your current car add an accusump and spend the rest on tires and strippers.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Drooling over your penskes! I say slap a set on your current car add an accusump and spend the rest on tires and strippers.
These were my own design. Like an idiot I tried to sell them for $3,000 (with springs) and pretty much went bankrupt. Never realized that the Porsche guys are paying close to $10K for Penskes.

Anyway, bigger house, two awesome kids, and it will be 10 years before I get another dedicated track car. In the meantime I like to hit the track few times per year without worrying about a $10K bill for a new engine...

S4 has been pretty much sold. Just waiting for a wire transfer...

Going to look at Gen 2 Cayman S now. Doubt I will get it, but I have to ask.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Wow, I never picked up on this. Accusump seems like THE solution for oiling problems on our cars. What am I missing? Is this the silver bullet?

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts

IMO, yes. I have yet to hear of anyone with an accusump have an engine failure and it requires much less invasive work given some of the new kits. I know it solved a similar problem Elises were having and now you can order one from the factory on a few models. No thoughts on the strippers? :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Strippers are always a good way to go. But tracking maybe cheaper.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts

Haha, and I keep reminding my wife of that! Seriously though, I don't know why more people aren't going this route. It's a great safety net for any car you intend to keep out of warranty as well as it adds the ability to prelube the engine. The folks in france pioneered this as a solution in the race series and claim that since its adoption there have been no failures there either. I put one on my Elise and am contemplating adding it to the Cayman. I definitely will if I decided to keep this as a track car.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Seriously, there is a race group that uses this solution successfully? For $1,000 and relatively simple install I am likely to go with it if it is somewhat "proven".

I am also curious to see what TPC come out with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.