Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2003 Porsche 996 C4 Cabriolet, upon receiving the vehicle noticed that the stereo had been modified and the subwoofer ( 996.645.567.00 A10 ) was not connected. The vehicle originally came with the bose system and in order to make the subwoofer work I would have to add a second amplifier in addition to the preexisting one that the previous owner put in place of the factory unit. In order to do this I had to answer several questions:

1. How much power can the bose subwoofer handle?

I removed the subwoofer from the passenger foot well, since it was the unit that is mounted against the transmission hump. After removing the 2 screws that hold it in place I took it inside to look up what ever information I could based on the Porsche part number that was on the sticker on the back of the subwoofer enclosure ( 996.645.567.00 A10 ). After that provided me little to no assistance with the exception of telling me that it was a Porsche subwoofer I then proceeded to remove the speaker from the enclosure. First I had to remove 6 screws that held the protective grill, which turned out also held the speaker in the enclosure. After the speaker was out it provided me with the bose speaker information. Which I then called bose who was very difficult to get to an actual person, so I did the typical maneuver of getting to an answering machine then hitting 0 and finally got to a real person who provided me with the specs that I needed.

100 watts @ 2 ohms

2. How can I add a second amp safely into the vehicle (to prevent fires)?

After finding out the specs for the subwoofer, I analyzed the way the system was currently setup and determined that I needed a way to safely connect 2 amplifiers without causing damage to the cars electrical system and potentially starting a fire. While reading some forums I found out that I need to add a distribution block which was very inexpensive ($20). When doing this use a fat gauge wire with a big fuse from the battery to the distribution block, one bigger than the wire you will use to connect your amps. Then from the distribution block to your amplifiers use another larger gauge wire with fuses inline. This will prevents fires from starting in the wiring of the amplifiers.

3. How can I get a 4 ohm amplifier to work with a 2 ohm subwoofer?
My final issue was to determine how I could connect the amplifier I had laying around to the subwoofer seeing as though it was a 4ohm amplifier how can you make it produce 2 ohms as to not overload the speaker. I came across yet another forum that had the answer. Which I have illustrator below. You simply connect the hot to one set of outputs and the negative to the other set of outputs and this reduces the amount of ohms outputted in half.
A B
| + | - | | + | - |
|+| |-|
|+| |-|
|+| |-|
|+| |-|
|+| |-|
|+| |-|
|+| |-|
|+|-|
|+|-|
|+|-|
|+|-|

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While that is a neat item I was looking for a more cost effective route without being to jabronie about it. Being able to use an amp I already had laying around and only having to spend $20 on the distribution block I would say it definitely saved me from having to spend a bunch of money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts