Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 S.

I wasn't planning on doing anything else other than plenum, GT3 throttle bodies, and a tune since I cute the exhaust off. Now that the motor is being dropped anyway, what should I look at doing, if anything? Lighter flywheel? Displacement? Sump?

This is my daily, and I'm heavy footed, heel/toeing to every stop light. I don't plan on racing this car, but track days and an occasional autoX aren't out of the question. Car has just over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Deep sump can't hurt. 996 swirl pots. Upgraded rod bolts. Add another tandem pump if money is no object. If money is really no object why not go as big as you can in displacement?

Why are you pulling the engine? What was the assessment from when it wouldn't start and went to the shop??

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Have you replaced the Rear Main Seal yet? I would do it if you haven't.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deep sump can't hurt. 996 swirl pots. Upgraded rod bolts. Add another tandem pump if money is no object. If money is really no object why not go as big as you can in displacement?

Why are you pulling the engine? What was the assessment from when it wouldn't start and went to the shop??
Money is an object. Rod bolts are probably going to happen if they have to go that deep in. The assessment was that it was out of time, probably due to a timing chain being starved. I should know in the next couple of days what caused the starvation and what collateral damage was done.

Have you replaced the Rear Main Seal yet? I would do it if you haven't.
RMS has not been replaced to my knowledge. Would that seal be replaced anyway if the tech checks the IMS bearing?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Money is an object. Rod bolts are probably going to happen if they have to go that deep in. The assessment was that it was out of time, probably due to a timing chain being starved. I should know in the next couple of days what caused the starvation and what collateral damage was done.

RMS has not been replaced to my knowledge. Would that seal be replaced anyway if the tech checks the IMS bearing?
The RMS is on the crankshaft, above the IMS. It would be accessible when inspecting the IMS. Please keep us up to date. I have personally been inside of two of these engines so do not hesitate to ask me any questions.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I believe the seal has been upgraded since the M96 engine came out, it should be very inexpensive to replace since the engine will be out of the car. My mechanic suggested upgrading mine when I replaced the clutch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks! I'm so thankful to have a community like this to lean on.

As for the sump, what should I do specifically?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Put a larger capacity sump; they range from +.5 to +2.5 quarts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where in Alabama are you sir and where are you getting this done?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Where in Alabama are you sir and where are you getting this done?
OP appears to be in Tennessee, I live in Birmingham. We are lucky to have two good Inde shops here. I also will take my car to Goldcrest in Atlanta for major upgrades.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I forgot to mention the most obvious upgrade is the LN Engineering IMS upgrade if your engine requires disassembly down to the crank.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
2006 CS so it has an M97 engine. M97s are reported to have very few RMS leaks... FWIW.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
2006 CS so it has an M97 engine. M97s are reported to have very few RMS leaks... FWIW.
The OP just said he had an '06 S, didn't say whether it was a Cayman or Boxster. The Boxster would have the M96 and should have the RMS replaced and at 100K miles, I would replace it because it should cost less than $100. Just check the CR site where Gator Bite has an RMS leak on his '06 Cayman. Why take the chance?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The OP just said he had an '06 S, didn't say whether it was a Cayman or Boxster. The Boxster would have the M96 and should have the RMS replaced and at 100K miles, I would replace it because it should cost less than $100. Just check the CR site where Gator Bite has an RMS leak on his '06 Cayman. Why take the chance?
Not arguing with that logic. Certainly wouldn't hurt to do it. BTW, Gator Bite's is an IMS flange leak. ;)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
LOL, I see, I see. No brainer, then. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
LOL, I see, I see. No brainer, then. :cheers:
Some suggest pulling off the outer seal of the IMS bearing.
Others suggest installing the oil spray system if you don't replace the bearing itself.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
In addition to the other things already mentioned I'd replace your oil cooler with 996 taller unit since you are doing the plenum. Check your chain guides for wear too. The other thing if you are going to track the car is to upgrade to Motorsport air oil separator either 996 or 987 version. Do you have a third radiator installed?

Good luck

Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

IMS bearing failed, causing the engine to go out of time. The valves tapped the top of the pistons, so they may be bent.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts