Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I was thinking about it. What was your dream Porsche when you were young? I had a neighbor with a 69 911. I think it it was an s. Then I built a 911 Turbo Carerra RSR model and I was hooked.

Still loved the e type series 1 Jag but, flat six stole my heart!

What was yours?

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Mine would be a 993 Cup Car done for street use.
I had started plans to build one last year but decided I like the present day comforts too much and couldn't afford to have a regular street Porsche and a specialized 993 also so I backed out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
904. I had one as a kid, but it was only a slot car. Probably still my #1 choice.

Reactions: Rican

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's easy, a CGT. However, I feel lucky to have an affordable version of a dream car, the seats, cloth pulls, the sound, I love the 987 Spyder.
Funny story, when we were shopping for our first Porsche, my wife saw the GT and said she really liked it stating"why don't we get one of these?" She watched a video of 0-60 and said it "sounded great!" Then I showed her the budget! That ended that. We bought a nice 30k Boxster S with 20k miles from an estate in Carmel.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
42 Posts
I liked the Porsche 356s, but fell in love with the first 911s (901s) that I saw in a car magazine that my older brothers subscribed to. It was the 901 model that Porsche debuted at the Paris Auto Show in 1963. I knew I would own one someday.

14 years later, I purchased my first 911 ... a '64 German delivery 'Euro 911'. Still have it :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is a tough one for me because I've raced against 356s and I've seen 917s race. I love all these cars.
But probably my overall favourite is the 904.
I was always keen on it's purposeful style and I'm a long-time fan of mid-engine cars (I own a 718 Cayman).
Luckily, just before this pandemic got going I was able to visit with some friends and finally see their 904 GTS. And it is a very pure version with that original, super-complicated four-cylinder engine.
The last photo also shows their 250 GTO which is probably my favourite non-Porsche car. They have a nice collection of cars.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I liked the Porsche 356s, but fell in love with the first 911s (901s) that I saw in a car magazine that my older brothers subscribed to. It was the 901 model that Porsche debuted at the Paris Auto Show in 1963. I knew I would own one someday.

14 years later, I purchased my first 911 ... a '64 German delivery 'Euro 911'. Still have it :)
Wow, what a great story! Are there photos?

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I love the beauty of the 904 but like many cars of years ago it was seriously underpowered.
I would go with a GT1 the LM car. They made a few street versions. Of course it would be someone's money

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Frankly, I had no dream Porsche when I was young. Just as I have no dream Ferrari right now. In either case I considered those cars unobtainable, so no need to dream about it.

That said, I can tell you what Porsche I am dreaming about now - and that is 718 GTS 4.0, MT, no options, probably Bumblebee combo. If I could ever convince myself to pull the trigger after this mess we find ourselves in.

Sad part about saying that I do not dream about a new Ferrari or a Porsche with a windfall like a lottery win is that neither makes new cars I want to own. One exception to that could be upcoming 992 GT3 Touring Package if they a) release it and b) don't screw it up.

Finally, if I have to dream about a used car, there is only one winner and then a 10 miles long empty road to the second place. Winner would be Singer re-imagined 964 911.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I really like the GT3 touring but dealers wanted 30-50k over list for a no cost option

Singer is great but a waste of unnecessary money You better win to spend that much
Guess that’s why it a dream

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I was a kid it was the 904. I had a die cast version of it (maybe Corgi?). Love all the 904 content posted earlier!

As an adult it was the introduction of the Cayman that got me re-interested in the brand.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
A friend of mine use to track a 904 never realized so many thought of them
Pretty car but slow & under powered

·
Registered
931 Posts
Frankly, I had no dream Porsche when I was young. Just as I have no dream Ferrari right now. In either case I considered those cars unobtainable, so no need to dream about it.

That said, I can tell you what Porsche I am dreaming about now - and that is 718 GTS 4.0, MT, no options, probably Bumblebee combo. If I could ever convince myself to pull the trigger after this mess we find ourselves in.

Sad part about saying that I do not dream about a new Ferrari or a Porsche with a windfall like a lottery win is that neither makes new cars I want to own. One exception to that could be upcoming 992 GT3 Touring Package if they a) release it and b) don't screw it up.

Finally, if I have to dream about a used car, there is only one winner and then a 10 miles long empty road to the second place. Winner would be Singer re-imagined 964 911.
Similar story for me. I didn’t have a boyhood love of Porsches or really any other car. But I did love cars. Maybe it was growing up where the reliability of running water was a daily question, or a sad reality. or maybe I just don’t have the imagination.

However, years later I was shopping around for a sports car and saw a profile picture of the 987 Cayman and I was smitten. THIS was actually a great looking car! Like truly great. But sadly still out of my reach. I made a mental note to “pay attention” to Caymans after that though.

A few years later I was driving on a highway and saw a 981 Cayman and was astonished that it looked even better than the 987, and I was determined to own one. Finally managed to buy myself a GTS in late 2015.

Since then the only car I’ve seen in person that I actually like the look of more than the car I own is the 981 Spyder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ouf this is a great subject, wow those 904 pictures are awesome.
I grew up loving the 959, F40 and Viper. The 959 was the car that woke me up to the Porsche shape and design :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I really like the GT3 touring but dealers wanted 30-50k over list for a no cost option

Singer is great but a waste of unnecessary money You better win to spend that much
Guess that’s why it a dream
I hear you ... Well, seemingly Porsche decided to get some money in THEIR pocket out of the GT action and will not restrict allocations (except for factory output capabilities) on those cars anymore. We'll see when they reveal 992 GT3 if that holds true. But you are right, I would never pay that; matter of principle, not matter of money.

As for Singer ... I think it is a worthy (if you have $500,000 laying around doing nothing) purchase. Where else do you get GENUINE time machine that cheap? You get 1989 car brand-new and even better (quite a bit better) than it was when Porsche-brand-new in 1989. Granted, that would be a twisty road car - certainly not a racetrack car. But it wouldn't be a garage queen.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Time machine; you're right, next time I have 500k laying around I'll get a 289 Cobra if I can fit in it. If not then a 67 all aluminum L88 big block Corvette with side pipes and knock-offs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts