Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user at the end of the week.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

View attachment 951462

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not what you were expecting but since you asked... My first car was a 1973 Pontiac Catalina, 4 door with the 400 cu in V8 (or 6.6 litre for the Brits). That was the car that started the phrase "Land Yacht." It probably also caused the oil shortage in '73. Mine was a former fleet vehicle and was so worn out that I had to crank on the steering wheel like a dirt track racer just to keep it on the road. It had to be one of the worst cars GM ever made. Mine was metallic BRG even though there was nothing British or racy about it. I had it for a year and sold it for a Toyota Corolla because I couldn't afford to put gas in it. Here is a picture from the internet. It is amazing that even pictures survive of that behemoth.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what you were expecting but since you asked... My first car was a 1973 Pontiac Catalina, 4 door with the 400 cu in V8 (or 6.6 litre for the Brits). That was the car that started the phrase "Land Yacht." It probably also caused the oil shortage in '73. Mine was a former fleet vehicle and was so worn out that I had to crank on the steering wheel like a dirt track racer just to keep it on the road. It had to be one of the worst cars GM ever made. Mine was metallic BRG even though there was nothing British or racy about it. I had it for a year and sold it for a Toyota Corolla because I couldn't afford to put gas in it. Here is a picture from the internet. It is amazing that even pictures survive of that behemoth. View attachment 273586
What a great looking car, maybe not so great to drive it seems and it is amazing what can be found online. This reminds Me of Daniel's Mum's car from the Karate Kid movies (No idea what make she actually drove!!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trying to help you guys out here... Here's a picture of my first "interesting" car, and it's British too. Back in the '80's I did a complete "restore" of a 1974 Triumph TR-6. I truly regret selling this car. This picture is from before I finished the interior. Do I need to say what was special about it?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
1961 Sunbeam Alpine (smiling as I type). First gear sounded like a garbage disposal. Had it fixed and 6 months later it was back. So I learned to launch from 2nd.
Another "special" thing was the previous owner blew her brains out sitting in the driver's seat. Passenger seat still had dried blood when I committed to buy it. I like to think that episode also accounted to a chip on the inside of the windscreen.

This car actually had a hole in the radiator to fit an included crank rod into the fly-wheel/pulley. I needed to manually crank it a few times because I ran the battery down trying to start in cold weather.
(Not my actual car - I had steel wheels).

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Registered
492 Posts
Look at all you rich guys! Here's mine, $400.00 head reconditioned at my dad's shop as a learning experience for my older brother. Four on the floor, 1.1 liter, 0-60 in (hey you in a hurry? Try leaving the house earlier) Sample web image mine was yellow with added twin Rallye stripes down the entire car spaced apart from center.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rich? I paid $750 for the TR-6 and I had to tow it home. I rebuilt the engine in a garden shed! I even painted it myself. Drove it a thousand miles cross country with no carpet or door cards. The thing had Cherry Bombs (remember those). God, it was loud, and wonderful. Those experiences were my riches.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Look at all you rich guys! Here's mine, $400.00
I handed the dead girl's father $400 and he gave me $50 back telling me, with a sad look, he never wanted to see it again.
This was 1968 and that $400 was all I had. So I appreciated the gesture and honored his wish.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well by 17 this was mine so no whining over here. Came into the dealership with a blown engine, I bought it for squat, in fact this might have been the $400 dollar ride, Opel might have been like $150 and my dad had this bad boy running maybe that weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first car was this 1999 NB Miata. 5-speed manual with black cloth interior and black paint. The picture with the Z3 in front was while I was in high school (that was my mom's 6-speed Z3). The picture with the Integra beside it was in college My love for the manual and for small sports car began early.

I had Jackson Racing lowering springs, Rspeed intake, Enzutha exhaust, TSW wheels in high school, forget the cheap ones I had in college. I had all kinds of chrome trim pieces in the interior and a red engine start button that replaced the cigarette lighter that impressed a lot of dates! The only other car that had an engine start button in those days was the Honda S2000 so no one had ever seen that. Dad and I would drive up to Rspeed in Marietta, Georgia on the weekends. Rspeed was THE mecca for Miatas back then.

She served me faithfully without a mechanical breakdown for 6 years until I traded it in for an RX8 my senior year of college . I had to drive 3 hours to Atlanta to trade it in and it was a particularly hot day. I made it about 10 miles down the road when I noticed the temp gauge was through the roof hot. Nursed it home and my roommate and I changed out the thermostat at night in the front yard under candle light because we were broke college kids with no flashlights or a garage. The ol girl just didn't want to be let go without a fight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
100 Posts
1964 IH Scout. Sold it when i was 15 and bought a 1948 Willys CJ2A took a year to do a frame off rebuild registered it in my 16th b-day. The Willys was very similar to this one.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
1971 340 Cuda. Bought it as a graduation present for myself when I exited the military in '71.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trying to help you guys out here... Here's a picture of my first "interesting" car, and it's British too. Back in the '80's I did a complete "restore" of a 1974 Triumph TR-6. I truly regret selling this car. This picture is from before I finished the interior. Do I need to say what was special about it?
View attachment 273587
That's a lovely looking motor, I think the photo speaks for itself..... (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts

My first car was a 1951 Pontiac straight 8, purchased for $150 in 1960 (That's $1,332.84 in today's money). Pretty smart of my Dad to recommend that I buy it at age 14, when I had cash in hand and he needed a work car. My first interesting car was a 1956 Austin Healy 100, purchased four years later. I quit driving the tractor-like Healy when I bought my first Alfa Romeo in 1966.

·
Registered
2018 911
3 Posts
My first car was a new 1964 Red VW Bug
I loved that car You couldn't hurt it Ran the hell out of it Took it to Quaker City Dragstrip in Salem Ohio and won a 3' trophy with it I ran against other VWBugs but I wound the gears out real tight before shifting That's why I won
Sold it to my dad and bought a used 1961 Olds Starfire Convertible
Great car too
Now I have a 2028 Porsche 911 as a Sunday car I've been pretty lucky

·
Registered
35 Posts
In 1984 I purchased a “safe” 1977 Volvo 244 in mustard yellow (web image attached) and actually had white wall tires and about 120k on odometer As my college car. I blacked out all chrome and aluminum, added a “hot cam” to which it actually loped at idle, installed a sparkomatic stereo system, fog lights and some other forgotten features. Sold it to my boss with 220k on the odo In 1990.

After being on Porsche’s marketing list in college they sent me a few posters of a 944 with my last name as a “sticker” on the front “license plate” which sold me on Porsche (did anyone else get those?). Then bought a 1987 944S, 100k on odo, at an auction in 1990 for $10k. Added a performance exhaust and a performance chip. Then in 1993 I heard a noise a Sunday and brushed it off. Next day driving at about 80 mph on the interstate, the water pump seized, timing belt broke and bent all of the valves. Towed it to Porsche and they wanted $8k to fix it which I could not afford. Towed it to my parents house and dad and I tore it down, had head milled and ready to reassemble and the prior owner found me via the mechanic at the Porsche dealer and made an offer to take it off my hands for about $6-7k.

Fast forward to 2018 and bought my second Porsche (2016 CGTS) in a much better yellow! Photo attached but not a great one.

Attachments

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In 1984 I purchased a “safe” 1977 Volvo 244 in mustard yellow (web image attached) and actually had white wall tires and about 120k on odometer As my college car. I blacked out all chrome and aluminum, added a “hot cam” to which it actually loped at idle, installed a sparkomatic stereo system, fog lights and some other forgotten features. Sold it to my boss with 220k on the odo In 1990.

After being on Porsche’s marketing list in college they sent me a few posters of a 944 with my last name as a “sticker” on the front “license plate” which sold me on Porsche (did anyone else get those?). Then bought a 1987 944S, 100k on odo, at an auction in 1990 for $10k. Added a performance exhaust and a performance chip. Then in 1993 I heard a noise a Sunday and brushed it off. Next day driving at about 80 mph on the interstate, the water pump seized, timing belt broke and bent all of the valves. Towed it to Porsche and they wanted $8k to fix it which I could not afford. Towed it to my parents house and dad and I tore it down, had head milled and ready to reassemble and the prior owner found me via the mechanic at the Porsche dealer and made an offer to take it off my hands for about $6-7k.

Fast forward to 2018 and bought my second Porsche (2016 CGTS) in a much better yellow! Photo attached but not a great one.
Someone likes yellow!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts