Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have a 2015 Boxster S with FVD catback exhaust and FVD tune. What will I notice if I add 200 cel cat headers to it? I noticed Soul is having a Black Friday sale. Not sure what I'd be getting for $3,000. Any feedback would be appreciated. I don't race or track, just spirited driving.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also, check with FVD for a forum discount, which should make their header price more competitive with other options, since you have their tune. I have the FVD headers on my 2.7, and they made a noticeable difference in sound, and power over just the tune. FVD will update your tune for headers at no charge if you purchase their headers. I would think all the quality competitors headers provide similar output and sound.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
1,006 Posts
I have the tune, headers and exhaust… and I’d say at best it’s a 10-20hp gain, and we’re talking way up high in the rpm range… worth it? Ehhhh… I will say it’s a bit more responsive but I was expecting more… again, that’s pushing $5-6k
depending on brand…

but the sound? Very much like my GT3… I’d say it’s like a 3.6 996/GT3 note… which is maybe my favorite GT3… something simple about that car I adore

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
816 Posts
Spend the $3000 in track time and learning to drive it properly. You'll be passing the guys that spent their $3000 on headers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I added the center radiator. It didn't do much for high oil temps. Think the car needs a larger oil heat exchanger.

·
Registered
816 Posts
High temps on the track w/PDK Sport+. Never went into limp mode, but temps in high 260's-mid 270's are common. Center radiator didn't do much to help.

For normal street use, there is no need for center radiator unless you live in the desert.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Regarding ledbette's driving skill comment: On the Netflix show where the "wacky racers" come to life from cartoon form. (let's see how many get that without Google). Anyhow, on the Netflix show you see people with mighty machinery lose, a lot of them because they couldn't figure out how to deploy launch control on their Ferrari, conversely you see many a hacked up trashwagon win the day because of a great hole-shot.. If you read Excellence there are racer stories of crippled cars remaining in the fight, some prevailing to a post a decent finish. Skill is often underappreciated. I am convinced that Randy Pobst could make any one of us consider an adult diaper as a passenger on a track with merely a lowly 2.5 986 for him to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
BTW, I've had headers on three Caymans - 2015 GTS, 2016 GT4 (x2) and honestly they don't seem to make much HP, but sure do enhance the aural enjoyment of driving the car! Most of the HP they make, if they actually make much, is in the upper rev range, and don't add much torque in the usable/usual rev range. I have ECU tunes for the headers also. I have run Fabspeed w.cats and now Soul w.cats. The Fabspeed are higher pitched sounding - very racecar sounding. The Soul are lower pitched. To conclude, buy headers for the sound, and expect your enjoyment to be more personal than technical.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
BTW, I've had headers on three Caymans - 2015 GTS, 2016 GT4 (x2) and honestly they don't seem to make much HP, but sure do enhance the aural enjoyment of driving the car! Most of the HP they make, if they actually make much, is in the upper rev range, and don't add much torque in the usable/usual rev range. I have ECU tunes for the headers also. I have run Fabspeed w.cats and now Soul w.cats. The Fabspeed are higher pitched sounding - very racecar sounding. The Soul are lower pitched. To conclude, buy headers for the sound, and expect your enjoyment to be more personal than technical.
150% agree… it was marginal gain… I’d say 10-15hp and that was way up high… it’s a lot to spend on a note, but it does sound good

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to know. Between purchasing headers and installation, it's a lot of $$ and I wasn't sure if it was a commensurate improvement. I'm going to leave it the way it is with the FVD exhaust and the FVD tune, it sounds great and I have plenty of power (and no fault codes).

Reactions: lastone

·
Registered
125 Posts
The headers will dramatically impact the sound, and should net a significant boost in hp over stock manifolds when paired with a tune. Your best bet is to ask Soul or FVD as to what gains you would realistically see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FVD, whose tune I have to accommodate the 82mm throttle body, told me I “might” get 15 more hrspwr. Is that worth $3k? It wasn’t to me bcuz unless you are running your engine between 4-7k rpm you are not really tapping into that small gain. If you are going to buy the headers you might as well get the bigger throttle body and an IPD plenum. And, I think if you buy the Soul headers they throw in the tune???? Not sure.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
FVD, whose tune I have to accommodate the 82mm throttle body, told me I “might” get 15 more hrspwr. Is that worth $3k? It wasn’t to me bcuz unless you are running your engine between 4-7k rpm you are not really tapping into that small gain. If you are going to buy the headers you might as well get the bigger throttle body and an IPD plenum. And, I think if you buy the Soul headers they throw in the tune???? Not sure.
Unsure… those “breather” mods on a Porsche cost a lot for the gain. After adding headers/exhaust/reflash I called it a day on that car… the plenum isn’t worth it.imo… and yes the gains are all felt above 4-5k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts