Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, ok have settled on an s for my mid life change!

Want silver and pdk been looking used and new leftover , all loaded with options I do not value like nav, 14 way seats, sport chrono, etc. it means I am seeing 70+ k ish for used .

did a 2015 S build pdk, 19 s wheels, gray interior, silver and I end up at 69500 or so.
what is a typical discount on orders? seems like order is better if 5% or more is possible?

are there option / packages I will regret not getting?? this is a buy and hod not a lease

thank you to all!

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
There are TONS of threads on this very topic. Lots of opinions to peruse.

You should be able to get 6-9% off a new order. Don't overlook options like convenience or premium package. You will regret not getting automatic HVAC, heated sets, etc.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If you just enjoy driving then a basic build will do. As a minimum I get "Premium Package" and "Bose" as the base stereo is bad. All others you can live without and I doubt if you'll miss it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't help here. :( I wanted ALL THE THINGS!!! :D
Ha! Me too! My first 987 was pretty bare bones but it did have LSD, infotainment, Bi-Xenons and convenience pkg. Since it was a base Cayman with manual transmission, there was no justification for sport chrono.

Options are of course a personal choice and everyone approaches that differently. In my mind, I divided them into two broad groups: 1) performance or 2) comfort/convenience. If your first priority is performance, then consider sport chrono+, PTV (opinions vary) and sport suspension (opinions vary). If it will be a daily driver, then consider PASM and as others have suggested, convenience pkg and possibly BOSE (personal preference) but at least, consider the infotainment plus option to get USB and a few other niceties.

Also, if you haven't done so already. you might spend some time at the dealership trying out the various seating and steering wheel options. You might find that you can't get comfortable for long trips in the less adjustable seat options, and you are kind of stuck with that choice.

There's actually a third category: That includes things like full leather, painted parts, etc. All of which, are vastly overpriced.

I also went through an agonizing process of prioritization, but would up buying a GTS anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you just enjoy driving then a basic build will do. As a minimum I get "Premium Package" and "Bose" as the base stereo is bad. All others you can live without and I doubt if you'll miss it.
Mine is pretty basic as I was mostly interested in pure driving enjoyment. The standard seats in full leather are very comfortable to me. If anything, I could have done without the Bose, if this is considered "good" then the base stereo must be truly awful...

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
The "Premium Package" is really nice but I don't even need that because I listen to talk radio most of the time. If my next Cayman is a build and not something off the lot I will get Sport Chrono, Sport Design Steering wheel, and the exterior Sport Design Package . . . nothing else.

EDIT: I forgot Sport Exhaust. :(

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I think it depends on what is more important to you. I would break it down into three areas, Performance, comfort, tech...so I made a list of priorities if one of these categories fits your desire (we all have different lists which will be the problem for you with this question!)

Performance
PSE (sound performance - I know there is no HP increase)
SC

Comfort
Premium package or Convenience pkg
Full leather

Tech
Infotainment
SC (G force meter, ability to download data etc)

Oh heck, on second thought....don't ask me....I got them all. :)

You wont go wrong with just a bare bones S either. 5% is realistic in Rhode Island since you will have access to alot of dealers. You will have to work at it though.

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would add automatic dimming mirrors and convenience package (heated seats / auto climate). Annoying that a $70K car does not have these features standard, but I would not want a Cayman without them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
these are the things I regret not having.
1. Sport chrono pack
2. Sport exhaust. the regular exhaust is pretty good, but there are days when I wish I could crank it up more.
3. PASM ( the drop in height compared to regular suspension makes that much difference IMO).
4. 20 inch wheels. Not much difference weight, in ride quality and road noise I believe.

5% discount should be reachable on ordering a car with your specs. I believe you can get more if you are picking a car up from the dealer lot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My requirements were PDK, light color (I live in AZ) and that was it. Didn't matter to me if it was S or not, it ended up being a not.

It came with extras I didn't have to have, but do like. Auto a/c, Blue tooth is handy, 14 way seats are really comfortable and to able to do minor adjustments on a long trip is great. No Nav, no PASM, no Boise, regular stereo is just fine for my ears.

You'll be too busy enjoying all the pluses on any Cayman to worry about what you don't have. As they say what you've never had you can't miss!

Machog

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
1. Sport chrono pack
2. Sport exhaust. the regular exhaust is pretty good, but there are days when I wish I could crank it up more.
3. PASM ( the drop in height compared to regular suspension makes that much difference IMO).
4. 20 inch wheels. Not much difference weight, in ride quality and road noise I believe.

5% discount should be reachable on ordering a car with your specs. I believe you can get more if you are picking a car up from the dealer lot.
For what it's worth, if you're trying to keep to a budget the first things I'd drop would be things that can easily be changed later. Top of this list is the wheels.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would add automatic dimming mirrors and convenience package (heated seats / auto climate). Annoying that a $70K car does not have these features standard, but I would not want a Cayman without them.
+1 on this. The first time you drive your $70k car at night and realize you have to flip the rear view mirror like you did on your 1978 Ford Pinto, you'll realize you made a mistake by not ordering the package. Also, I enjoy the 14 way power seats, and would not be satisfied with manual seats.

Packages I have that I don't need or would not order again if cost was an issue:
1) Sport Chrono - the car comes with Sport mode standard. This is all I need, and I imagine all 95% of Cayman S owners need.
2) Infotainment - this system is junk, pure and simple. Smart phones are all one needs for navigation, so a built-in Nav system is superfluous. The Jukebox and USB features are maddeningly programmed and do not operate intuitively. Get Bluetooth compatibility as a separate line item so your cell phone can connect through the system.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
hi, ok have settled on an s for my mid life change!

Want silver and pdk been looking used and new leftover , all loaded with options I do not value like nav, 14 way seats, sport chrono, etc. it means I am seeing 70+ k ish for used .

did a 2015 S build pdk, 19 s wheels, gray interior, silver and I end up at 69500 or so.
what is a typical discount on orders? seems like order is better if 5% or more is possible?

are there option / packages I will regret not getting?? this is a buy and hod not a lease

thank you to all!
Are you just looking locally? Silver and PDK is about the most common combo you will see on cars.com and autotrader. At $63K with about 9% discount, you are getting a barebone S. I rather have more than less, if I don't need it, like NAV, I will not use it. If I don't want heated or ventilated seats, I will not pushed the button. Everyone I build is over $80K and you can get a low mileage CPO one with MSRP of mid 80's for low 60's all day long. My only problem when I was looking is I wanted blue with a two tone interior. At the price you are willing to spend, there are plenty of options. Remember, listed price isn't selling price. You can easily knocked off a couple of grand, a lot more for a motivated seller. I found 37 cars that match your criteria on cars.com

My must have when I was looking

Blue/Lime Gold/two tone interior
PASM or x73 SS
PDK
Sports steering wheel with paddles
Bose
Premium package with heated seats
At least 14 way power seats
Sports Chronos
NAV

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I bought a used 2013 Boxster S a few weeks ago and therefore did not have input on options. I have listed what is on it and my initial impressions of that feature...

PDK -- love it. my last three "toys" have been manual 6 speeds and I wasn't sure about this but I love the PDK on the road it Sport and when I am pushing it on the curves in Sport +, have not had it on the track but I firmly believe that Sport + would be a blast.

20 in Wheels - OK, I probably would have preferred to have started with 19's as the profile might have made the ride a bit better -- but in all honesty the ride with the 20's is pretty darn sweet.

Seat ventilation - I actually have really enjoyed this on a couple of the warmer days as it keeps the seat from getting "sticky" while I am driving.

Smoking package - at first saw no reason for this whatsoever as I don't smoke but have learned I really like this feature as an easy way to run a battery maintainer since the cigarette lighter is the only plug that stays hot with the key off.

Bi-Xenon - really like the light it throws and would put this on any car in the future. And PDLS - it's OK but not critical in my mind.

Sport Chrono Package - a must have for me with the PDK. I am not going to use launch control on every start but love that I have the option if I want.

Power Steering Plus - in all honesty I'm not sure of the value for this option. The car does handle well when driven fast and pushed but I never had a problem with my earlier Cayman and I know it did not have the Plus option. I'd have to drive one without this option to know more.

Leather interior in black - to me these cars should have leather, not some man-made close proximity.

Power Sports Seats (14 way) -- have to admit that these are very comfortable and I do like the option to make some changes on those long rides. Would probably do again.

Infotainment - like the sound, the ability to integrate my phone, a reasonable nav system, etc. A good option as far as I am concerned.

Premium Package - I could take or leave the wind deflector, absolutely love heated seats for very cool weather driving with the top down, and if 2-zone AC means having separate settings for each seat then I also love that.

What I wish it had: the sport exhaust, heated seats for the cooler weather driving...

I picked this up for mid-$60's, in excellent shape with 16k miles and glad that I did....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Thanks for the feed back.
I have been on cars and auto trader, there are several issues, I have seen a lot of silver pdk cars in Northeast I like, but then when I go direct to their web site they are not listed, so I assume the sites are not current? I have spent hours in last few days on this and it is quite a few that are listed in cars or autotrader, yet do not exist at dealers any longer. The few nice silver used ones I do see still listed have tan interoir(not w/ silver, imho), and the all on RED interoir,(not me)

Currently new country Porsche and Princeton Porsche have similar cars listed, one a 2014 and one a 2015. while I did not match build sheets they are both listed at 81+K.
Even assuming a 10% off on 2014 I am at 73K +, yes, for more car, but a year older, than a 2015 on the 64/5K range? How low will they go to move a left over?

This is the quandry I am in, continue to seek a low mile 14 trade in / private or order a low option 2015?

tx, David

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have probably the most basic S out there.
Options: 20 inch Carrera S wheels, platinum silver metallic colour, platinum satin finish wheels, model delete, smoker's package.

The only thing I sometimes regret not getting is PASM, partly for aesthetics (the x73 suspension cars look so good, but I would not be willing to have a car I have to be so careful with, PASM might be a good compromise). Otherwise I love the car even in this simple config.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have all four (X-73 instead of PASM) of these. If I was the OP and I wanted to limit my outlay and I could only get one of the 4 I would highly recommend PSE. It makes the Cayman S very special right from the factory.

If had to keep the car under $70k here is what I think makes the most sense based on my experience with most of the options available.
1. PSE
2. Sport Design Steering Wheel
3. X-73 (you can make the argument that Sport Chrono is more important, but do not do it for the near useless clock on the dash. Do it for the Sport Plus button and rev matching if you get a 6 speed manual)
4. 20" Carrera S wheels (if I where to get a PDK car I would drop this to keep costs down)

I hope you find this helpful. Please ask me any questions that you feel I can help you out with.

1. Sport chrono pack

·
Registered
851 Posts
One thing I'd regret is the Sport Design Steering wheel, so you get the real paddles for the PDK. That's the best bit of advice I ever got from Planet-9 (its under "Leather" on the configurator, $490). If you get nothing else, get that.

Other things I'd regret not having is the climate control (as in you set the temperature, it does the rest), you can only get that in the convenience ($900) or premium package, along with dual zones and heated seats. I'd also regret not getting the ventilated seats ($730), but it does get warm around here.

The only other thing I'd regret is the CDR+ ($1700) so I can attach an iPod, the standard head unit can't. Forget the Bose, it sounds horrible and boomy.

I don't know if you'd regret not having these, as you've not had them to miss them.

Everything I could live without if I were only driving it on the street, on the street I could even do without sports chrono ($2,370), I never use sport+ on the street, its a track mode. I do like the auto dimming mirrors ($690), and I think a rear wiper ($360) is essential. I think the two tone leather (Agate/Pebble $2,950) with brushed aluminum ($1195) is great and I'm glad we got it. The seats with memory ($3,465) is really handy with two of us driving, if the car can be persuaded to know who's driving.

Edit to add: I don't regret not having the sports exhaust.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Smoking package - at first saw no reason for this whatsoever as I don't smoke but have learned I really like this feature as an easy way to run a battery maintainer since the cigarette lighter is the only plug that stays hot with the key off.
I used battery maintainer connected to the outlet in the foot well and it worked for me. So it is not only smoking package outlet that can maintain the battery through I guess

1 - 20 of 50 Posts