Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a tire swap do it? The OEM Michelin Sport Cup 2 doesn't leave a whole lot of room for improvement.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The car isn't even out yet, nor has Porsche clocked an official 'Ring time. Too early to tell really ...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
What would it take to make the GT4 as fast around the Nurburgring as the Camaro Z28?
If Chevy brags ad nauseum Porsche will ensure it just to spite 'em.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Would a tire swap do it? The OEM Michelin Sport Cup 2 doesn't leave a whole lot of room for improvement.
The 991 GT3 guys are finding that swapping MPSC2s to Trofeos (stock on the Z28) drops lap time by about 1.1%. On the 'Ring that would be 5 seconds even. I figure that Porsche is quoting a conservative 'Ring time for the GT4 both because they haven't had a chance to officially test it and because it's in their interest not to release a time quicker than the Carrera. My WAG is that it'll turn around ~7:37 out of the box dropping to ~7:32 with Trofeos. Probably a little quicker than the Z28 on a dry course, or close enough to be academic either way, which all of this really is anyway.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 991 GT3 guys are finding that swapping MPSC2s to Trofeos (stock on the Z28) drops lap time by about 1.1%. On the 'Ring that would be 5 seconds even. I figure that Porsche is quoting a conservative 'Ring time for the GT4 both because they haven't had a chance to officially test it and because it's in their interest not to release a time quicker than the Carrera. My WAG is that it'll turn around ~7:37 out of the box dropping to ~7:32 with Trofeos. Probably a little quicker than the Z28 on a dry course, or close enough to be academic either way, which all of this really is anyway.
I concur that this discussion is academic. Otherwise, you wouldn't have videos of old VW Golfs passing vehicles like the Porsche 911 GT3 RS on the Nurburgring.

But I do wonder. I haven't looked to see if there are Trofeo R sizes compatible with the GT4, but I wonder what would happen if they were both on Trofeo R tires. That semi-wet Camaro lap looks like about a 7:25 or 7:30 if he hadn't been spinning everywhere. Never mind the GT4, that's Nissan GT-R, Ferrari 458 Italia, and 911 GT2 RS territory.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
408 Posts
T I figure that Porsche is quoting a conservative 'Ring time for the GT4 both because they haven't had a chance to officially test it and because it's in their interest not to release a time quicker than the Carrera. My WAG is that it'll turn around ~7:37 out of the box dropping to ~7:32 with Trofeos.
I agree, once they ACTUALLY officially run the Ring. Since the 7:40 is a composite guesstimation at this point, they sure don't want to be over it when the official time comes out... I'd even love to see it duck down to 7:35 on MSC2s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wasn't the Z28's 7:37 time in the wet?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just do a second lap. The brakes and tires on that heavy camaro are bound to get too hot. I bet the GT4 would be ahead and never look back after 2 laps. I find all the talk about lap times on the ring amusing. There are several long straits that favor the higher horsepower cars. HP and "lap times" help sell cars. For most people, the car an individual is likely to be fastest on the ring is not necessarily the faster car. The faster the car, the more grip, the more power--the more guts and skill needed to drive at its limit.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just do a second lap. The [giant Brembo carbon-ceramic] brakes and [305mm wide Trofeo R] tires on that heavy camaro are bound to get too hot. I bet the GT4 [with it's smaller iron brakes and smaller MPSC2 tires] would be ahead and never look back after 2 laps.
I wouldn't bet anything you couldn't afford to lose on that one, lol.

I find all the talk about lap times on the ring amusing. There are several long straits that favor the higher horsepower cars.
The GT4 is actually the one that has a more favorable horsepower-to-weight ratio in this comparison. The Camaro is making up time with higher cornering speeds and on the brakes. It was only doing 127 mph at the gantry, and 157 mph at the bridge.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wasn't the Z28's 7:37 time in the wet?
Yes, the Camaro's lap was a partial wet lap. His wipers were on before the mini-carrousel, and he was spinning everywhere, all the way back to the GP track.

A dry lap for the Camaro would have probably been in the 7:25 to 7:30 range.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A dry lap for the Camaro would have probably been in the 7:25 to 7:30 range.
I'd say no chance in hell it gets below 7:30. The GT350R is ~7:32 for a reason: they believe it's quick enough to beat the Z28. As long as the Trofeos stay hot they stick remarkably well... $.02

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd say no chance in hell it gets below 7:30. The GT350R is ~7:32 for a reason: they believe it's quick enough to beat the Z28. As long as the Trofeos stay hot they stick remarkably well... $.02
They're both roughly the same size, shape, weight, 500+ horsepower, 400+ pound-feet of torque, and very similar gearing. But the Mustang comes on MPSC2 tires, and the Camaro comes on Trofeo R tires, which as has been pointed out previously, should be worth about 5 seconds a lap alone on the Nordschleife. We won't know for sure until the Camaro sees a dry track, but all that the Mustang's 7:32 tells us, is that a 7:27 is quite possible for the Camaro.

After all, the Camaro has already been quicker than the Nissan GT-R when tested on track.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts