Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at some high end 'detailing' services and am about to take the plunge. The cost of these services is inordinate and I was just thinking what is considered reasonable/expensive/rediculous to those that maybe have used these types of services before... Anywayz below is a full list of what this guy is gonna do for me and I'd appreciate any views on the subject. Thx all :)

Exterior Cleansing
- wheels and arches cleaned [wheel removal option / wheel coating option available]
- boot & door shuts cleaned
- exterior trim cleansed
- exterior bodywork pre cleansed, shampooed & dried
- engine degreased & cleansed.

Exterior Preparation
- all exterior paintwork, door & boot recesses, wheels & glass clayed
- pre wax oil applied to all exterior paint work, door & boot recesses & wheels.
- all metal & chrome surfaces, exhaust cleaned & polished

Exterior Finishing
- protectant applied to engine compartment
- exterior trim , tyres, wheel arches, rubber seals protected [trim coating option available]
- application of 2 coats of Swissvax Onyx or Mirage wax applied & buffed off the paintwork [wax upgrade options available]
- all exterior glass cleaned [glass coating option available]
Interior Detail
- interior thoroughly vacuumed [fabric & carpets deep cleansed option available]
- all surfaces cleansed
- leather & plastic trim protected.
- wood surfaces pre cleansed &waxed
- metal surfaces polished
- interior plastic screens cleaned & waxed
- interior glass cleaned

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello.... Is there anybody out there??....
The engine cleaning is the only part I have not had quoted from a few well respected guys. Do you have a clear engine cover? I wouldn't see the point in all the engine cleaning unless you have a clear engine cover.

I had quotes for pretty much everything you had listed (minus the engine work) with leather conditioning and a couple levels of polishing (black cars need polished to remove swirls).

It was around $250-$600. This is in the states though...not sure how that translates to your location. The $600 quote was from a guy with more of a rep and was listed as one of the top in the country by an auto mag. The cheaper guy doesn't have the big rep but was recommended by the more expensive guy for when he is booked. I think the higher quote may have had a couple extra steps but pretty close.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here is the work to be completed on the cheap quote:

Hand wash and dry vehicle
Clay
Remove swirl/scratches (polish)
Wax
Dress all exterior rubber / vinyl trim and blacken wheel wells
Vacuum interior carpets and floor mats
Clean interior/exterior glass, mirrors and lights
Dress tires
Dash, door, interior panels and console cleaned
Leather care

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply!

I'm in the UK and I'm looking at about £300 ($450) for the above. I think your right about the engine bay thing and I was thinking getting him to swap this out for the full 'wheels off' treatment - otherwise Im just tidying it for the next mechanic! :)

As you mentioned, It is alot about reputation and as far as I can see this guy is top of his game. He does all the vintage rolls, bentleys etc and is about to be flown out to do some cars for the Mille Miglia... I guess I'm not gonna know until I see the results but from what you've said his pricing is not completely out of the ball park. There's still a bit of me that says thats a lot of money for a car wash....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is he doing any polishing / paint correction? I think $450 is high (in the states) if he is not doing some polish work. Polishing can take a long time depending on the paint condition. Also consider what products he uses as they run a wide range of prices. He uses swissvax, which is not cheap stuff.

I really think you should bite the bullet and have this guy do it. He uses a wax that cost £6000 (10K US). He charges £5000 for a detail!

World's Most Expensive Car Wax - LiveVideo.com

·
Registered
206 Posts
G-money google "KDS Keltec". I'm going this Saturday with a mate who's dropping his E46 M3 off for a minor paint correction and detail. They have a price menu for good comparison.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Is he doing any polishing / paint correction? I think $450 is high (in the states) if he is not doing some polish work. Polishing can take a long time depending on the paint condition. Also consider what products he uses as they run a wide range of prices. He uses swissvax, which is not cheap stuff.

I really think you should bite the bullet and have this guy do it. He uses a wax that cost £6000 (10K US). He charges £5000 for a detail!

World's Most Expensive Car Wax - LiveVideo.com

I agree in the US you can get a fantasic "cleaning" for $200. Unless he pulls out the clay and does a paint correction I would not pay north of $200 for a "cleaning"

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
My local guy hit me for $125 on a really clean Cayenne and included the engine bay. However, I was not impressed with his wax. While it looked nice, our winter grime stuck too easily. I bought the Zymol Titanium Kit. I am hoping he'll not be offended when I offer him to use it and he might pull out the clay bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts