Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to my local grocery store yesterday. Ran into a guy I see at the gym often. He said "hey man, I like that Porsche!" I said "Thanks man, it's a dream come true for me. I've had a real love for Porsche since I was little." He then asked what I do for a living. I said "I'm an engineer at a Zurn. They hired me on from my internship while I was in school." He replied to that in a somewhat pretentious manner "Ah, are you ever going to get a high end Porsche?" I subtly laughed and said maybe as I walked off. After I thought about it a little bit, it started to bother me...hince why I'm posting here. I realize I drive a base Cayman, but I thought all Porsche's were "high end" even if it's one from the bottom of the line up. I agree there are higher end Porsche's in the line up, but isn't a Porsche regardless of the model a "high end" vehicle? Maybe it was just the manner he said it to me in that really bothered me. I just needed to vent about that occurrence and see what others opinions were on what a "high end" Porsche is. Mind you, this guy is still in college and drives a newer Camaro. Also, I'm just out of college.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Re: What's a "High End" Porsche anyways?

You're blessed to be that young (just out of college) and could afford a Porsche.

The only high end Porsche is the 918 which is sold out ;) therefore you couldn't get one :)

If you bought a 918 at your age it means you got it from your father's money. In that case, you and your father would be blessed with money but are deprived from brains... Very much like your 'friend' who's deprived from manners.

Trust me, I live in a region where we have plenty of the two 'deprived' examples above !!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You're blessed to be that young (just out of college) and could afford a Porsche.

The only high end Porsche is the 918 which is sold out ;) therefore you couldn't get one :)

If you bought a 918 at your age it means you got it from your father's money. In that case, you and your father would be blessed with money but are deprived from brains... Very much like your 'friend' who's deprived from manners.

Trust me, I live in a region where we have plenty of the two 'deprived' examples above !!!
Lol! Thanks man! I am very blessed. It took a lot of diligence, patience, and budgeting to make it happen. I think a little luck has something to do with it too. I'm 25 now. I was 23 going on 24 when I graduated college. It took me a bit longer than normal to make it out of college.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enjoy your car and the stage of life you are in today. At some point you may choose to change models or not. It's your choice don't worry about what others think or say about your car.

Cman21

Thanks man! I appreciate that!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I park my 987CS in a parking structure often near another 987 CS--owned by an undergraduate. It took me 53 years of dreams to get my first Porsche. You and my parking companion are much more fortunate, and I'm glad for you. Anyone, of whatever age, who gets to drive a Porsche is lucky, in a local and global sense. If your gym buddy thinks a high-end Porsche is one that costs much more than what you paid for your Cayman, then they should look at the prices of Porsches 30 years old, or more--they have sky-rocketed. I'm sure he thinks a 911 or even a Panamera, is a highER end Porsche than yours. (Fortunately he probably thinks a Boxster is lower end than yours, too!) He's just ignorant--and I don't mean that in the "idiot" sense, but he truly doesn't know enough about Porsches to understand what it means--from the 60 years of history, to the 50 years of 911, to the change to water-cooled engines and the future of hybrid technologies and the company. You might want to help him understand, or not...

·
Registered
314 Posts

Why get bothered what other people think - the ignorant think you're some peasant-robbing banker with a 100k car, while some car "enthusiasts" pooh-pooh that it "isn't a 911". Either way, you aren't going to win.

Best to just enjoy your car, and let no one else drag you down - especially from people that don't have a Porsche and don't know anything better.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Post Deleted.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts

By the way today in the showroom there was a yellow 981 Cayman S next to a white 991 GT3. I favor the 981 Boxster over the Cayman, yet it was a Cayman. And I favor the GT3 among all 911s, yet it was in white my hated color on Porsches.

I swear I couldn't resist myself looking at the Cayman instead of the GT3 all the time.

Forget the 918, honestly IMO the 981 is the best looking Porsche in the market. And it looks far better than any 991 too. The showroom was full of 911 cabriolets and coupes plus that GT3. But my eyes were set only on the 981 and that yellow... God, it took my breath away.

The bottom line, your friend if not envious then is an idiot.

Reactions: Sam135iAM

·
Registered
202 Posts

There is absolutely nothing base about your or my Cayman.

A "base" Cayman allows you to use more of the available power on regular roads than any other Porsche in my book. Full disclosure here-haven't actually been in or seen a 918 in the flesh and didn't know they were sold out-crap!.

BTW, if you look up the synonym for basic, you'll find the following; Essential, primary, elemental, quintessential, intrinsic, key, pivotal etc. I'm thinking I have a primary or quintessential Cayman-what do you think?

Machog

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts

I do not think of my 981 S as a "high end" Porsche. That said, I don't think I would buy/lease a "high end" Porsche even if I could afford one. I have friends who own "high end" Porsches. I even have a friend who has a GT3. They are beautiful cars but they just aren't for me. Heck, my next Cayman might even be a base model. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
You have asked a question here and got some good advice. The question is touchy to some, so here is some advice from someone a lot older ...

... I thought all Porsche's were "high end" even if it's one from the bottom of the line up.
They are. From the very cheapest base Macan to a Panamera Turbo S Executive, every Porsche car is considered high end within the overall automotive market. Every one. That said, it is not an "exotic". The cars are not made in small enough numbers to be collectible (except for a rare few models) nor exotic in the sense of a Ferrari or Lambo.

To understand how some Porsche owners feel and deal with the public, I suggest you read all the posts in this thread http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-off-topic/92022-do-you-tell-people-you-have-porsche-keep-private.html

Finally, within the community, as you recognized there are higher end vehicles in the lineup. But you knew that so there is nothing else to say there.

Drive safely :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Made me think of this:

Attachments

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Realize what is really going on here. You are his age and you have a Porsche. He is jealous and his defense mechanism for his own presumed inadequacies is to disparage you and your car. That's what is going on. lol. You need to have elevator speeches prepared.

...maybe...."Well I have a 911 Turbo in the garage but I prefer to drive this beautiful mid-engine Porsche. How do you like your Camaro?"

Seriously, I was at my doctors for a check-up. Fifth time I have seen him. He has 2 Porsches. Both Cayennes. We banter about normally. My wife comes with me usually and he knows her - she is 15 years younger than me. My last visit (she wasn't with me) he said, well I didn't have the mid-life crisis so I got the Cayenne instead of the sports car. I pulled out the elevator speech....."yeah....I must be on my fifth mid-life crisis then"

Roll with the punches but punch back very subtlety.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The Cayman definitely is not a high end car in where I live. I see literally 10-15 Cayman/Boxsters in the office's parking lot. With maybe some 10 to 12 of those 430 + 458 cars lying around. Then another 5 360s. But then 911s are even more readily available if you count everything up to 964 generations.

I don't really care if people think my car is a Honda really. It's fine with me. I bought my car for myself to enjoy (and to transport my wife when needed), not for others' amusement.

There will always be haters ... just let them be that way. Don't need to waste your time and/or energy on that. Just enjoy your car :D

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Buy and drive what makes you happy do not let someone else bring you down or second guess what makes you happy. He was just jealous he can't own a poor mans Porsche right? LOL! Most of us would take the so called poor mans Porsche over the rich mans Porsche because we know better and they don't!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
If I would have been quick (instead of having time to think about it) I would have liked to say something like "I am happy with what I have, are you ever going to get a high end Chevy ?" (i.e., a Corvette? )

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guy sounds like a turd. Similar to when my brother in-law asked my why I did not get the 911. I replied by asking him why he got the i3 and not the i8. Guy is also a turd.
Just be happy for the person and don't be a freaking ***.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts