Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

The other week I asked my girlfriend, "What's better than owning a Porsche?". The great girl that she is replied, "Owning 2 Porsches?". How right she is. I was getting ready to look at a Boxster for a daily driver since I'm trying not to rack up too many miles on my '07 Cayman S. Life is too short not to drive a Porsche every day, right?

I ended up getting a very nice deal on a high mileage '99 Boxster and I am so impressed with this car. I love the Cayman. It's in excellent condition and has lots of power and performance, but the Boxster is impressive in its' own way.

It's so nice and small with an engine that can be revved quite liberally without getting into jail speeds within a couple of seconds. The handling is excellent of course and I love the slightly dated interior. What's not to love about the Boxster?

Yes, I know that it's not going to be cheap to maintain and repair, but I bought a lift last year when I had to replace the clutch on the Cayman. I've got some work ahead of me on the Boxster, but that's part of the experience and pleasure of owning and working on a older car.

True motoring pleasure for a bargain price.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Hi.

The other week I asked my girlfriend, "What's better than owning a Porsche?". The great girl that she is replied, "Owning 2 Porsches?". How right she is. I was getting ready to look at a Boxster for a daily driver since I'm trying not to rack up too many miles on my '07 Cayman S. Life is too short not to drive a Porsche every day, right?
I agree. If it makes you smile, just do it. I drive my Porsche every day...and eat a crisp, tart apple every evening. Curiously, both rituals are satisfying in similar ways.:dance:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good to see someone, not familiar with the joys of driving an early Boxster, find out what those of us who love and keep them experience all the time. Compared to today's Porsches they are a simple throwback to the days of true top down sports car driving when enthusiasts paid more attention to the road and driving than their iPod, iPad, Bose sound system or Nav complex. Porsche saw fit to give the early 986 the title "Classic" so they also know that they created something special in the early Boxsters.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Hi.

I ended up getting a very nice deal on a high mileage '99 Boxster and I am so impressed with this car. I love the Cayman. It's in excellent condition and has lots of power and performance, but the Boxster is impressive in its' own way.

It's so nice and small with an engine that can be revved quite liberally without getting into jail speeds within a couple of seconds. The handling is excellent of course and I love the slightly dated interior. What's not to love about the Boxster?

Yes, I know that it's not going to be cheap to maintain and repair, but I bought a lift last year when I had to replace the clutch on the Cayman. I've got some work ahead of me on the Boxster, but that's part of the experience and pleasure of owning and working on a older car.

True motoring pleasure for a bargain price.
Great woman indeed especially if they are also paid off.:hilarious:

:cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like you, I have a modern Cayman (981 in my case) and recently picked up a 2001 986 BS. I sometimes honestly prefer driving the Boxster. It's a lot less refined, sure, and it can be a little creaky - though it's in spectacular condition with only 32k miles - and it's definitely reminiscent of the 90s era vehicle design - but driving it seems to be a little more....enjoyable sometimes. Less crazy and less of an auditory experience than the Cayman but still sometimes just a little more enjoyable for reasons I can't really put into words. Whatever it is, it is definitely nice to have the option of either car to play with!

image (9).jpg image (10).jpg

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
In 1978, when I was 23 years old and not as careful with money, I owned two 914s. A '73 2.0L & '74 2.0L. Both with performance and appearance packages. Loved those cars. However, when I think back on what I was paying for auto insurance...

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
In 1978, when I was 23 years old and not as careful with money, I owned two 914s. A '73 2.0L & '74 2.0L. Both with performance and appearance packages. Loved those cars. However, when I think back on what I was paying for auto insurance...
You had great taste!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
If two Porsches make you smile then go for it. I would rather have a change of pace. For me that is a motorcycle (or two) or a SUV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am really lucky. I have ended up with 2 914's (2.0L and a 1.8L) Last Feb a 964 fell into my lap for only 14,500 with 68,000 miles and this summer after tapping the guard rails at the Glen with a track 914 I mentioned to the wife that a Cayman S would be a good idea she said go ahead. The 964 is actually too nice to track and deserves to be taken care of.
Now my problem is which car to drive! I live in the country so the 14's are perfect for back road blasts. The 964 begs to be taken on long jaunts, we did a fall tour to Jay peak then Mt Washington last year, 1250 miles in 3 days.
The Cayman S, now that car just begs to get in trouble, I have the speed reminder chime set to 74 mph and the radar detector is always on. Seldom do I not hear the chime chiding me. As I have said before I really should sell one but they are all too much fun and current gas prices are a bonus to just get out and drive.
Bill K

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
You had great taste!
The missing data point here is that I got married. I had the '73 2.0L for a number of years and then got married. First marriage; married too young; lessons learned. Anyway, my wife started driving the Porsche and so we bought the '74 2.0L for her. That's how I ended up with two.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If two Porsches make you smile then go for it. I would rather have a change of pace. For me that is a motorcycle (or two) or a SUV.
2 Porsches, 1 SUV, and for the a change of pace, a minivan, lol

How about owning one Ferrari? Man, if I only had about $350K to spare. :)
Not my thing, I love the way it looks and sound but Ferrari owners just seems to be a complete opposite of Porsche owners. I like to drive and not park, I don't want to be punished if I drive it more than 2K miles a year, then maintenance it yearly with minimum miles at a dealer b/c no one wants a used Ferrari serviced at an Indy. Ferraris do look nice, especially the F430 Scuderia, it's a beauty.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
"What's better than owning a Porsche?". The great girl that she is replied, "Owning 2 Porsches?".
haha... good one! i was going to say - driving one everyday....:)

yes, its nice to hear the smaller flat 6 sing all the way isn't it?

sounds like you have a great partner and a great collection of cars now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife says I look for reasons to drive my Porsche. its true ill go to the store and just spend a buck!
I LOVE MY Boxster!!!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
She is definitely a keeper.
you could always up it with 2 Porsche + Crotch rocket.
I've got 02 suzuki gsxr telefonica! :) love that thing.
A "crotch rocket" is what single girls keep in the night stand next to the bed.

It sounds like what you have is a 2002 Suzuki GSX-R 600, which is a middleweight Supersport. Like every other 600 Supersport, they are pretty miserable on public roads, but they can still be a decent track day bike.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Great woman indeed especially if they are also paid off.:hilarious:

:cheers:
I think that's only legal in certain parts of Nevada.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts