Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Pontiac, Auctions, Used Car Buying, Coupe, Classics, Luxury, Performance
Speed Academy runs a piece looking at what's driving the skyrocketing prices of air-cooled Porsche 911s. One theory is that Joe-the-Plumber owners are valuing their own high-mileage daily drivers according to the bubble-like prices being asked for pristine, low-mileage examples.Continue reading What's driving the spike in air-cooled Porsche 911 prices
What's driving the spike in air-cooled Porsche 911 prices originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
[h=6][/h]Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've only recently become a Porsche owner (last two years), but I used to track an RX-7 in the mid 90s. What made me impressed with Porsche was just how well built and track ready the cars were. While my RX-7 required all sorts of mods to make it a reliable track car, I'd just be left shaking my head at how good those Porsches were.

Someone more in tune with the last 15-20 years could speak to this better than me but it does feel a bit like modern Porsches are built a little bit more like sports cars from other manufacturers now with the 'real' heavy duty sports car stuff only appearing in the GT cars.

Like I said I'm not an expert but when I got my first Cayman and was exposed to the IMS bearing issue that really hung around for quite a number of years and models I was just sort of stunned. It was like Porsche had embraced that a lot of their cars would never see the track and so it was okay if there were issues like this.

That's not to say I don't love the Cayman, I do, but I can see why a real hard core enthusiast would look back to that era of Porsche when 'every Porsche is a race car'.

Again apologies if I oversimplified the history of the last few decades, I'm aware I'm far from an expert.

Nice pic of that gorgeous 993, though at those prices you have to wonder is it twice as good a car as the NSX from that same period? At those prices you're running roughly double a used NSX.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'm not so sure this bubble will last. I went to Brooklands Classics Auctions a few weeks ago and most of the high value (upto £100k) old 911s didn't sell. There were several very decrepit cars imported from California as restoration projects for £30k to £40k that didn't move either. Porsche made a lot of 911s over the years and sooner or later buying a rotter at over the odds is going to go out of fashion. Mind you there was a lovely 914 at £12k which I thought was good value, flat 4, no turbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts