Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the video from the exhaust shootout and the B&B sounded louder than the Tubi.

But by most accounts, people talk about how loud the Tubi is.

Can anyone who was at the event or heard both exhausts comment on how similar or different they sound?

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
The B&B which I had is much deeper in sound and that might carry over better on recorded media. The Tubi is much louder and higher pitched, more a European sound. If you hear a Tubi at full throttle a few streets away it almost sounds like a high reving speed bike.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Schwabe is right. BB is a deeper sound, Tubi is a higher pitch...sometimes compared to an F-car...& its sound does carry when in the higher rpms. I don't know what the DB comparisons are.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I have'nt heard a B&B so I really can't compare them. I do have the Tubi on my Cayman and as others have said it is a high pitched European sound, a very nice sound as I'v gotten many compliments from those that know the difference between noise and sound :).

The Tubi can be loud with a resonance between 2000 - 3000 rpm.
My Cayman is a weekend driver/garage queen so the sound/resonance along with a few other little "behavioral peculiarities" does'nt bother me at all.

Mark C.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I recently traded my 2007 Cayman for a 2007 Cayman S. The new car has a Tubi. I think the drone between 2500 - 3000 rpm is very loud in the cabin. Once the revs pick up with full throttle it screams, I like it. I'm a 65 year old adolescent and I can't wait to get back on the track.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 2006 CS and have been very pleased with my B&B system which I put on a year and a half ago. Some drone around 2-3000 RPM, but that's normal with any catback from what I've read and heard. No complaints with quality; chrome (or it may be polished s/s) has held up beautifully. Would definitely buy it again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, I currently have a B&B and have a Tubi inbound, just curious what to expect.

Re: power gains, short of a couple of the exhausts out there, I think its fair to say that the power gain from the exhaust is modest, and more importantly, coupling headers with a properly tuned software setup will yield more significant power.

I think the reason you see most of the topics here of this nature is because of the above point and also because the sound that the exhaust makes permeates the driving experience more significantly than the 5-15 hp increase it could make. I, for one am realistic in that looking at a catback muffler for significant power gains is laughable, at best.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So what your saying is, most of the after market exhausts are so close in output gains that if one is say 5/10 horse less in power, it is made up by the mental and physical relationship between the reverbaration and sound of an exhaust and its driver?I never looked at it that way but is an interesting point.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
So what your saying is, most of the after market exhausts are so close in output gains that if one is say 5/10 horse less in power, it is made up by the mental and physical relationship between the reverbaration and sound of an exhaust and its driver?I never looked at it that way but is an interesting point.
You have to look at the way you are going to use the car. As Mark C points out, he considers the Tubi loud between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, but since he uses it for fun and track, it does not bother him. If it was his daily driver, he might have a different overall opinion. At the end of the day, it is the combination of power increase and the sound that YOU like that makes the difference. I personally chose the Milltek because it is one of the quieter catbacks that still gives a decent power boost, but probably not as much power as some of the louder catbacks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very interested in a Tubi for my 2006CS. Just had a few questions for current owners.

Those with tubi on a Gen 1, did you reuse the stock tips and T pipe? Or did you upgrade to Y pipe like the Dream 1.

Anyone recommend a good vendor to purchase from?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts