Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I educate myself on buying a used Cayman (thanks to all here), I wanted to get a better understanding of what is generally thought of to be the more important consideration in purchasing a used Cayman. Warranty, CPO, miles, condition, year, or...? All play a role of course, but which ones are considered to be more critical?

Seems like there is heavy importance placed on warranty (CPO), which I expect is not because the car is unreliable, but more due to potentially high repair costs and some assurance the car is good to go.

To me, I would want to see evidence of a loving car owner, no over-revs, clean bill of health from a Porsche pre-purchase inspection, with higher mileage a secondary issue. If I want an extended warranty, I can always buy it. Perhaps this is the wrong approach with a used Cayman purchase?

- Phil

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would worry less about miles unless they are track miles. These cars can go a long way. Warranty is really the most important. Although the cars are built very well and generally don't have many problems, when one does come up it is expensive to fix. If you find a higher miles car that has not seen a lot of track time and is cosmetically nice and has CPO I would think you are fine.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I chose a higher mileage Cayman with CPO warranty over a simlilar car with substantially less miles. I paid a little less for the car as well, and I feel I got a better deal since I have another 50k miles of warranty and the other car would have only given me about 22k of original warranty.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There have been a lot of threads over warrantees, particularly extended ones...

To me, condition is top of the list. A well maintained, cleaned and cared for car is the only thing I look for when shopping. Warrantees are nice, but as I've stated before, they have never got me anything. You buy them for peace of mind, but they are not a guarantee that you will never have to pay for repairs. The most likely issues are with wear items, which are almost never covered.

Most issues with cars manifest early and later in a cars life. If all the maintenance is up to date, most cars will have very few issues in the middle. Everything I've seen, read and heard tells me these cars will have a long life, and are well built. Because of this I did not hesitate to buy mine as-is.

Yes, there have been a few potential fatal issues reported, and no one wants to shell out big dollars for repairs right after purchase, but these aren't Hyundai's. That being said, if this was my only car, and I was driving it a lot more, I might have purchased an extended warranty. Instead, I just have a few grand set aside in account I never touch, just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts