Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

What's My Car Worth?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Augie 
#1 ·
I'm beginning to think about updating to a GT3 or 4 and have no real idea what my 2006 CS is worth. It's hard to say because it has lots of goodies for the track but, then again, it is high mileage and has 7 D.E. seasons on it. Here is what it is/has:
2006 Porsche Cayman S, 85,000 miles, 6 speed, Sport Chrono, Midnight Blue over Sand
In 2008 at 10,000 miles the following mods were done by Farnbacher Loles Motorsports at a cost of $48,000:
Crate 997.1 3.8 X51 “power kit” engine
M&M custom exhaust
Quaiffe LSD
996 GT3 6-piston front brakes
PCCB master cylinder
Center radiator
19" Kinesis forged wheels 8.5" and 10"
Bilstein PSS9 coilovers
Evo intake w/ K&N filter
Carbon fiber side scoops
I bought it in 2012 at 22,500 miles. It had never been tracked and was pristine. I have added:
Softronic 3.8 conversion flash, est. close to 400 hp at crank
Tarrett front camber plates + elongated mounting holes - 3*+ negative camber
Tarrett rear toe links
Elephant rear toe locks
OZ Allegera wheels - 8.5" x 18", 10" x 18" + one extra 8" - red
GT3 front brake ducts
Newish power steering pump, AOS
GT4 style rear wing, chin spoiler
Included is new in shrink wrap M&M muffler ($1800) and all the spares I have for this car
This car runs w/ many GT3s up to 991, GT4s, Vettes, etc. and is easy to drive. Suspension is nowhere near maxed out so perhaps it could be even faster. I had a compression check a couple of years ago and it was very good. Blackstone oil analysis showed wear but not deemed close to failure. It is still running strong as in Oct. I had personal best laps at St. Louis and Barber. The paint is decent but the nose is pitted from track trash. The interior needs a serious cleaning and the headliner is drooping. OTOH w/ the Kinesis wheels and wing it looks like a million bucks from 20' away. Still turns heads.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

See less See more
#2 ·
Great track build but you've eliminated a huge chunk of the buying public who won't want to drive it on the street. And unless someone wants to put a 3.4 back in, it wouldn't be allowed in Spec Cayman. So it's basically a DE toy. Niche market means price it at what it's worth and wait (and wait) for the right buyer or deeply discount it so you can sell it quickly and move on to your next car. My guesses are $25K if the former, $20K if the latter. I could be totally wrong. This one is neither fish nor fowl, so very hard to peg.

#3 ·
Look at the street trim photo - who wouldn't want to drive that on the street? The only mod that affects ride comfort is the coilovers, and lots of people have those on their street cars. It is relatively quiet until you step on it. The interior is bone stock. Of course, the street buyer would have to be willing to pay a premium for the GT4 performance level. I'd like to think more like $35,000. Fish or fowl? How about flying fish? :) :)

#4 ·
Look at the street trim photo - who wouldn't want to drive that on the street?
Husker is right. Over the years, we have had people on the forum modifying their cars to a great extent, then crying because they found no buyers. They think its the best thing ever. But buyers don't agree. If they are like most folks, they don't care. If they are into modding, who wants "Your" mods. They want "their" mods. Its the journey that matters, not the end result. The sellers don't want to hear this. And we all live and learn. I agree with husker.

#5 ·
I hear you but I think professional engine swaps might be in a category of their own. Not a bolt-on mod you can do in your garage. If it's only worth worth $20K I'll keep it and make it a track weapon all the way.

#6 ·
Yes, the engine upgrade is a great mod. But that engine has 75K mi on it since the upgrade. The mileage both on the car and on the engine will make people pause.

#8 ·
Sold mine for $39 with 19k miles on car and under 100 on the 3.8
pretty much same stuff as yours
new owner used it as DD until he built a Miata LS1 engine car

#9 ·
I'm beginning to think about updating to a GT3 or 4 and have no real idea what my 2006 CS is worth. It's hard to say because it has lots of goodies for the track but, then again, it is high mileage and has 7 D.E. seasons on it. Here is what it is/has:
2006 Porsche Cayman S, 85,000 miles, 6 speed, Sport Chrono, Midnight Blue over Sand
In 2008 at 10,000 miles the following mods were done by Farnbacher Loles Motorsports at a cost of $48,000:
Crate 997.1 3.8 X51 “power kit” engine
M&M custom exhaust
Quaiffe LSD
996 GT3 6-piston front brakes
PCCB master cylinder
Center radiator
19" Kinesis forged wheels 8.5" and 10"
Bilstein PSS9 coilovers
Evo intake w/ K&N filter
Carbon fiber side scoops
I bought it in 2012 at 22,500 miles. It had never been tracked and was pristine. I have added:
Softronic 3.8 conversion flash, est. close to 400 hp at crank
Tarrett front camber plates + elongated mounting holes - 3*+ negative camber
Tarrett rear toe links
Elephant rear toe locks
OZ Allegera wheels - 8.5" x 18", 10" x 18" + one extra 8" - red
GT3 front brake ducts
Newish power steering pump, AOS
GT4 style rear wing, chin spoiler
Included is new in shrink wrap M&M muffler ($1800) and all the spares I have for this car
This car runs w/ many GT3s up to 991, GT4s, Vettes, etc. and is easy to drive. Suspension is nowhere near maxed out so perhaps it could be even faster. I had a compression check a couple of years ago and it was very good. Blackstone oil analysis showed wear but not deemed close to failure. It is still running strong as in Oct. I had personal best laps at St. Louis and Barber. The paint is decent but the nose is pitted from track trash. The interior needs a serious cleaning and the headliner is drooping. OTOH w/ the Kinesis wheels and wing it looks like a million bucks from 20' away. Still turns heads.
View attachment 266287 View attachment 266290
Unfortunately the aftermarket parts don't boost the price of the car as much as you think, unless the right buyer comes along, and that could be a LONG wait.
I have a 2006 Boxster S (86K miles - exact color as yours!), put PSS9's on it with aggressive camber, brand new RE-71R's, Mantis deep sump kit, intake, de-snorked, OZ Ultraleggera, Borla exhaust, upgraded entertainment system (expensive), full car respray so it looks like new, and a bunch of other things I have forgotten about.
The car still looks pretty stock (other than the low aggressive stance), and when I was looking for something more sensible and considered a C43 AMG, the dealer said I would be better keeping it for 'sentimental' value as they would only insult with trade offer (less than $10K).
So I keep it clean and well maintained in the garage, dive it once in a while and plan to give it to my daughter for her 16th in a couple of years as her first car.

Maybe the right person will come along and you will get your money back, but I would not dismiss the other comments/feedback to your question, especially as they are in the know.
I've modded several cars over the years (several M3's, STi's back in my 'hoon' days) and have always faced this same dilemma where buyers think the mods are cool, but unless they want a car to track, they simply don't see and more importantly won't pay for YOUR mod choices and just find a 'regular' street version.
Also, a lot of mods will put off many buyers as they simply assume that the car has been driven like hell on a track, and that's just the reality of mindsets.
If you are serious about getting your money back, it's often worth thinking about removing the performance parts and selling them as you return the car to stock - but then you know it's only worth $10-15K private sale (at best), so you make up your money selling off the mods.
Good luck!

#11 ·
Yea, w/ a new 3.8? And Augie, what is that nose on your car? Direct fit?
Guys, I'm not trying to get all my money back by any means. I'd expect the new buyer to be just like me - wanting a streetable car that on the the track will make you competitive w/ cars costing 3 times as much. I'm w/ 2mAn - ask $37,500.

#12 ·
I don’t remember name of company I got nose from, NPR or something like that
It fit fine , wasn’t real expense. Had to get GT3 running lights and ducting for center radiator. Got wing from them also. They advertised in Excellence

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.