Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Argh!

What's wrong with my car?

I get a squeeking/squaking from the front passenger corner over bumps and in corners. And as you see in the video just from pushing up and down on it.

The car is 3 years old with 57,000 kilometrs. Never tracked hard or abused in any way.

I took it in to the dealer and they said it was the lower control arm which they replaced under warranty.

Problem still there, still exactly the same.

Obviously I'm going to take it back in on Monday, but what do you guys think it is? And why the heck couldn't the main Porsche dealer in Toronto fix this the first time?

So annoying. Sorry, rant over.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
FYI For some reason, I can't load the vid.

Squeaks area a pain in the rear to figure out sometimes. I had to return to the dealership 5 or 6 times to get mine fixed. Mine is at a different location than yours as mine turned out to be the small rear driver side window.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
FYI For some reason, I can't load the vid.

Squeaks area a pain in the rear to figure out sometimes. I had to return to the dealership 5 or 6 times to get mine fixed. Mine is at a different location than yours as mine turned out to be the small rear driver side window.

Good luck!
-Moto
Video link fixed for you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had the same squeak on past vehicles although never on my cayman. The problem was a squeaky rubber bushing almost every time. I found a polyurethane safe oil and lubed it up and the squeaking was gone. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Wow! If they can't find that one they must never find any types of squeaks or rattles. I would think from the sound and the ease with which you can demonstrate it that they'd find and fix it in a heart beat. Obviously take it back and don't drive away again unless you can no longer reproduce it as you did in your video. I'd even consider escalating the complaint to dealership upper management.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I think the flux capacitator is leaking neutrinos. That is the sound they make upon colliding with the rubber tire as they escape the capacitator each time you push down on the fender. You may need to replace the tritanium gasket. You are welcome to tell the dealer this was my suggestion. ;)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sounds like my bed !!
What I was about to say would probably get me permanently banned from this board....better not.

On the other HAND......

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Cut a 4 foot piece of garden hose and use it as a stethoscope-- one end to your ear and move the other end around to find the source of the squeek while someone bounces the car up and down.

·
Registered
303 Posts
do let us know what it was, i've got a similar problem

Argh!

What's wrong with my car?

I get a squeeking/squaking from the front passenger corner over bumps and in corners. And as you see in the video just from pushing up and down on it.

The car is 3 years old with 57,000 kilometrs. Never tracked hard or abused in any way.

I took it in to the dealer and they said it was the lower control arm which they replaced under warranty.

Problem still there, still exactly the same.

Obviously I'm going to take it back in on Monday, but what do you guys think it is? And why the heck couldn't the main Porsche dealer in Toronto fix this the first time?

So annoying. Sorry, rant over.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do let us know what it was, i've got a similar problem
So I took it in this morning but the squeak was gone! Couldn't replicate problem!!! Argh.

I showed them the video and they just went "Huh."

I told them the theories from this thread, but the guy who replaced my control arm says, nah it's not the bushings or sway bar, he thinks if might be the shock/spring but he thinks it only happens when it gets hot.

So now I have to drive around till it squeaks again and then bring right in.

This is so annoying.

I think I'm going to quit my job, train to be a master Porsche technician buy all the specialized tools and learn to fix my Cayman myself.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
congrats that the squeak was gone but it is like a nightmare waiting to happen again. BTW great demo video (you made your point) ;)
at least you have several opinions here in case the squeak come back again:eek:

cheers

rex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the same squeak I had on my 993 and replaced the rubber control arm bushings with PU. Squeak went away and really tightened up the front end. Just a thought...this is common problem on 993s

alan

·
Registered
303 Posts
are the bushings easily replaced?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts