Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been gathering info, part numbers and prices, for a front wheel bearing change on my 2007 987 and was surprised to read that the 987 wheel bearings have the ABS/PSM speed sensor 'target' built into the bearing behind one of the dust seals, as opposed to the more familiar exposed toothed wheel affair I've had on my other motors.

Now this task could turn out to be an complete waste of time if the bearing is fitted the wrong way round as it would mess with the PSM, and of course you can't reuse it once you've pressed it out again.

Has anyone changed one of these 987 wheel bearings, if so, did the bearing have any identifying marks on it to show which side this sensor ring gizmo is installed in and hence which side goes nearest the speed sensor?

:cheers:

Craig

·
Registered
479 Posts
Where did you see / read this information? I looked up the parts here:

401-05.gif
Wheel Carrier Wheel Hub

Looks like a standard setup.

I did google this information about 997s. Apparently some are the simpler toothed setup and others have the red/black bands on the bearing.
997 psm failure after wheel bearing replacement - 6speedonline.com Forums

He said the wheel bearing was pressed in BACKWARDS. That made absolutlely no sense to me at first and then he explained that there is a magnetic strip built into one side of the bearing and that is what the sensor is reading. Luckily when I had to replace the one bearing on the passenger front side I went ahead and purchased two but I ended up only doing the side that needed it. I took the hub back to the guy that pressed it in and had him put the new one in. The new bearings are black on one side and red on the other. Make sure the RED side is facing to the outside of the vehicle.
Here's some info from Pelican:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Jeff!

Another new (And likely only ever used once) tool to add to my collection. But I Gotta have the tools!

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wanted to ask if anyone has taken a new *** Wheel bearing apart?

https://youtu.be/-A5kf5pXl4w shows that the new bearings don't have enough grease. I wanted to know how he got the inner races out. they are held in by a lip on the black plastic piece that seats into the inner races. i'm having a hard time getting it out. if you look at 2:39. you can see hes working on getting it out but i can't tell what hes actually doing. I would like to do this to my new bearings to prevent future failures, but don't want to break the plastic that keeps the ball bearings in place as well as the inner races.

Edit: the video is of a boxster wheel bearing. I was working on a Cayman wheel bearing which is actually wider and harder to take apart. ended up just using brake cleaner and compressed air. then injecting the grease without taking it apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts