Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,
I frankly didn't even know how to search for what I am after, so I started this thread. What I am looking for is specs for the pin that you screw in when swapping wheels or even just removing wheel to do any maintenance/work behind it. It is used to hang the wheel on it while you are scrambling to find tool and bolts around the floor. I know I had to order three times before I got right ones shipped for my E92 BMW.

So, if anybody purchased them for their 981 and still has a link, please post it. Otherwise, if you know the specs (thread specs), please post those.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
14mm, 1.5 pitch. I made my own by getting 300mm long bolts from the hardware store and cutting the heads off. Then filed the edges.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the exact same thing. I bought three of them, cut the head off, cut a slot in it for a screwdriver to tighten or loosen. They fit in my Audi and my wife's Mercedes. Used them the other day when I swapped tires. They work great

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm really not trying to be a smartass here, but why do you need wheel guide pins in the first place? I've been changing wheels on cars for years and doing pretty much all maintenance including full brake jobs/upgrades using a floor jack and I can't see how these would help vs the conventional method of just aligning the wheel and hand turning the lug bolts. I understand it's inexpensive, but why bother? Is it a track thing?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I'm really not trying to be a smartass here, but why do you need wheel guide pins in the first place? I've been changing wheels on cars for years and doing pretty much all maintenance including full brake jobs/upgrades using a floor jack and I can't see how these would help vs the conventional method of just aligning the wheel and hand turning the lug bolts. I understand it's inexpensive, but why bother? Is it a track thing?
If you use one once, you'll understand. I had one in my 987 C that I used with it and my 986 BS. When I wash my car(s) I take the wheels off to clean them. The guide pin is very handy to use when putting the wheel back on. Doesn't sound like much, but it's makes life a little easier...especially on the fronts. I currently do NOT have one on my 981...but thanks to this thread...will likely do a DIY version as described above. Cheers and thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Totally agree...put the wheel on, turn it til the holes align and put the bolts in to hold the wheel. Never even heard of these before looking on suncoast page...didn't know they were a "thing".

·
Registered
437 Posts
Totally agree...put the wheel on, turn it til the holes align and put the bolts in to hold the wheel. Never even heard of these before looking on suncoast page...didn't know they were a "thing".
I use them when I remove my wheels to essentially make sure I cannot hit the PCCB rotors by mistake. If I had standard brakes it would be much less of a concern but it still makes it easy.

Reactions: ciopyk987s

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you use one once, you'll understand. I had one in my 987 C that I used with it and my 986 BS. When I wash my car(s) I take the wheels off to clean them. The guide pin is very handy to use when putting the wheel back on. Doesn't sound like much, but it's makes life a little easier...especially on the fronts. I currently do NOT have one on my 981...but thanks to this thread...will likely do a DIY version as described above. Cheers and thanks.
+1

Same thing here. I was swearing and sweating changing wheels on my BMW at the track under the sun at 120 degrees F asphalt temps. Always needed to change shirt and even shorts after that. It is about 10 times easier to do it by hanging a wheel on the pin.

In a nice 60-70 degrees F garage it might not be a big deal, but I tried it even there, a lot easier than trying to hang the wheel on and then search over the floor for bolt and so on. Unless these guys are running titanium forged wheels that weigh 15 lb with tire on, using bolts/pins is always easier. IMO. When you consider they cost $10, it is truly a no brainer :)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
14mm, 1.5 pitch. I made my own by getting 300mm long bolts from the hardware store and cutting the heads off. Then filed the edges.
Wow that must be some hardware store, not only to have metric fasteners but a bolts of that size, can't even think why it would be stocked!

I too just bought them from the dealer... IMHO 2 are better than one as it stops the wheel from spinning if a single is not position exactley at the top.

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
:hilarious: $199.95 shipping. Yeah, I know they adjust it later. But if you only need this one part, the actual shipping doubles the cost of this glorified bolt. So buy a bunch of filters and a gallon of coolant too.
If you are going to have to pay for shipping buy TWO pins. Two pins makes changing wheels easier.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Wow that must be some hardware store, not only to have metric fasteners but a bolts of that size, can't even think why it would be stocked!

I too just bought them from the dealer... IMHO 2 are better than one as it stops the wheel from spinning if a single is not position exactly at the top.
Yeah, my local Ace Hardware has a much better selection of "real" hardware than those big-box stores. And yes, I bought two. But I normally only need one. So I keep one in the garage and one with my tools in the frunk.

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't use them on my 4runner, but I do on the Cayman:

- If you're running spacers, the pins make it a lot easier to get everything lined up
- They guide the wheel directly onto or off of the hub, preventing scratches or damage to the brake caliper or rotor

·
Banned
304 Posts
If you're removing wheels often (e.g., going to the track, or as part of washing the car), you might want to consider a stud kit. It's so much better than wheel hangers.

Reactions: Ukthunderace
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.