Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of brush is everyone using to clean their wheels? I have a BB with the 19"Boxster S wheels and the brake dust build up on the inside of the rim is very noticeable. On my past cars, it wasn't this noticeable and I could get by with just cleaning them once a year when I would swap summer / winter rims. Plus, I won't be driving the Boxster in the winter, so no need to swap wheels.

Give me some ideas!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Agreed, I think a lot of their stuff is overpriced, I'm just saying those cleaning sticks and hats performed well. I don't mind more payment when the product is good. Their creeper seat is a great example of overpriced IMO. I refurbished my dad's factory welded NAPA Balkamp unit from the 70's. Changed the wheels from metal to urethane and topped it off with an expensive new riding mower seat. It's a beast now, comfortable too, way better than their bolted unit, been there done that with a different supplier, didn't last.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The brush that works best for me is the Adams wheel woolie brush. The spaces between the spokes on my wheels are small enough that most "brushes" don't work well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use a generic Christmas tree looking brush and it works well for cleaning between the spokes and barrels. The problem is you get covered in splatter

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Yep. You definitely don't want to be wearing one of your good shirts when you are using the brushes to clean your wheels. A face shield might be a good idea too LOL.

Reactions: Platinum5150

·
Registered
12 Posts
What type of brush is everyone using to clean their wheels? I have a BB with the 19"Boxster S wheels and the brake dust build up on the inside of the rim is very noticeable. On my past cars, it wasn't this noticeable and I could get by with just cleaning them once a year when I would swap summer / winter rims. Plus, I won't be driving the Boxster in the winter, so no need to swap wheels.

Give me some ideas!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spray on Sonax (pricey) and spread around a bit with appropriate sponge (wear disposable gloves) then pressure wash the rims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been doing this crap for a long time and this is what I've come up with for wheels. Go on Amazon and get the Chemical Guys brushes #ACCS38 and ACCG08, not the cheap copies. Use a bucket just for the wheels, some inexpensive car wash and go at it. The long brush will cover the width of the 10" rears easily, as well as behind the spokes, and the short, long bristle brush is great for the outside of the wheel, even the lug nuts. When you're done, the inside of the rims will be very noticeable.

When I had silver wheels, the brake dust would drive me nuts because it would show after one drive. Someone recommended the Armor All Brake Dust Repellent and it made a huge difference! Can't say if there are any negative effects because I changed wheels shortly after.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts