Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to replace the plain black crest center caps on my 06 Boxster with the colored ones. Before i buy how are the existing caps removed/new ones installed? Does the wheel have to be taken off so the existing cap can be removed by pushing it outward from the backside or can they be removed by carefully prying off from the front with no wheel removal required. Thanks in advance for your input. Gary

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
There are a number of existing threads on just that. One even includes making your own tool from a coat hanger. Try the search tool and if you cannot find them let me know and I'll look them up for you. You might also enjoy searching the Articles section for interesting how to's if you have not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. I did find out what i was looking for. And i also found out there is a lot more info available than I thought. Will do more searching before submitting a new thread on a subject. Since my 06 Boxster caps have no removal holes (I like) they must be removed by removing the wheel and pushing them out from the back. I could just see myself trying to pry them off from the front using a small sharp screwdriver to try and save time and $. Oh the scratches.

·
Registered
317 Posts
thank you. I did find out what i was looking for. And i also found out there is a lot more info available than I thought. Will do more searching before submitting a new thread on a subject. Since my 06 Boxster caps have no removal holes (I like) they must be removed by removing the wheel and pushing them out from the back. I could just see myself trying to pry them off from the front using a small sharp screwdriver to try and save time and $. Oh the scratches.
I recently swapped out my gold-crest center caps for the black and silver standard set in my 2006 Boxster S. It seems odd that you do not have the small removal holes in your caps. They are hard to see unless you get very close to the wheel. As I recall, the holes are located on the black painted section of the center cap, which makes locating them more difficult, but enhances the appearance.

I used two allen wrenches to remove the caps by inserting them in the removal holes and then gently pulling—easy and not a scratch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi,

just to let you know. I just received the colored wheel center caps for my 06 Boxster and they do indeed have the small removal holes. Then i checked the standard black ones on the car and they also have removal holes so good. can change without removing the wheels. Like the allen wrench removal tool idea. thanks Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts