Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a novice and really hopeless at this wheel fitment thing.

I'm wondering if the Rodderick RW5 wheels will fit my 2010 Cayman 987.2S on stock NON-PASM suspension and no drop and if I will need spacers?

The specs of the wheels Im looking at are 19 X 8.5 ET45 and 19 x 11 ET 52. One of the websites selling it says it will fit but does not mention if spacers are needed.

I read my current original porsche 18s are 8j x 18 ET57 and 9J x 18 ET43.

Also, it seems quite a few parts are shared across cayman and 997 platforms...

Thanks AGAIN in advance.

·
Registered
668 Posts
One thing they don’t share is wheels. While those wheels may fit, you might have to try them to be sure. The rear wheels will be about 1” closer to both fender and suspension. You don’t mention the rubber, so there might be a little margin there. Fronts look like they might fit.

Just working off the top of my head, I’d say “no”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got the rear ET wrong. Its 19 x 11 ET 52.

So what does ET mean? ET40 vs ET52?

This is what it looks like on a 987.1. Mi987.2. Any difference?

ne is a

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can use this handy calculator to see what effects the offsets have on wheel placement relative to the suspension and fenders.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can use this handy calculator to see what effects the offsets have on wheel placement relative to the suspension and fenders.

Much thanks. I'll go with the few vendor websites that states these wheels fit my car. Its a used set and I've yet to view it so no guarantees. Its just perhaps the faster way I can get on MPS4S.

Using the calculator, the rear of the 19s I'm looking at will put the tyre 0.35" closer to the suspension. Is this ok or should I get spacers and if so, how thick?

For front, the 19s tire will be 1.05" further out. My car is stock height and not dropped. Any rubbing or safety issues for both front and rear on the intended 19s?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I believe you are using the calculator wrong. You are comparing only the tire size and wheel offset. Which is not accounting for the difference in wheel width.
You need to use the offset converter and put in the wheel width & offset in the for each wheel and compare the difference.
In this case the front 18x8 offset is 6.74 and the 19x8.5 is 6.52 = 0.22" farther out Which the fenderwell should handle without a problem.

The rear 18x9 offset is 6.69 the 19x11 offset is 8.05 = 1.36" farther in. 1.36/0.04 = 34mm spacer is needed for frame clearance
0.04 = 1mm

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe you are using the calculator wrong. You comparing only the tire size and wheel offset. Which is not accounting for the difference in wheel width.
You need to use the offset converter and put in the wheel width & offset in the for each wheel and compare the difference.
In this case the front 18x8 offset is 6.74 and the 19x8.5 is 6.52 = 0.22" farther out Which the fenderwell should handle without a problem.

The rear 18x9 offset is 6.69 the 19x11 offset is 8.05 = 1.36" farther in. 1.36/0.04 = 34mm spacer is needed for frame clearance
0.04 = 1mm
Thanks. I thought that's what I did LOL.

So the rear by your estimation needs a 34mm spacer? Isn't that a lot for a spacer? Once again, safety issues?

What's the maximum recommended width for spacers?

Longer bolts and nuts will be needed as well I presume?

Thanks again Augie.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
That is a lot; yes longer bolts - there are no nuts.
I would NOT use one that big; you can but I would not recommend it.

I was using 7mm front and 15mm rear with longer bolts for years without a problem but now developed a shake from the front spacers. I took them off and used the stock lugs again. The wheels still clear fine, the are just in somewhat.

You need to find wheels with a proper width & ET combo to fit your car. When you go to wider wheels you have to figure 1/2 the extra width in determining whether they will fit. The different ET make that more difficult and the conversion of inches and mm. That website is nice. I never used it before.

If you are staying with stock size tires or close to that; you don't need 11" rears. 8.5 & 10 would be plenty.
There are hundreds, if not thousand; of wheels available, don't spend extra on spacers and longer bolts.
I got a super deal from Wheel Dynamics 626-443-9100 South El Monte CA
or TireRack is also excellent I deal with Jim there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a lot; yes longer bolts - there are no nuts.
I would NOT use one that big; you can but I would not recommend it.

I was using 7mm front and 15mm rear with longer bolts for years without a problem but now developed a shake from the front spacers. I took them off and used the stock lugs again. The wheels still clear fine, the are just in somewhat.

You need to find wheels with a proper width & ET combo to fit your car. When you go to wider wheels you have to figure 1/2 the extra width in determining whether they will fit. The different ET make that more difficult and the conversion of inches and mm. That website is nice. I never used it before.

If you are staying with stock size tires or close to that; you don't need 11" rears. 8.5 & 10 would be plenty.
There are hundreds, if not thousand; of wheels available, don't spend extra on spacers and longer bolts.
I got a super deal from Wheel Dynamics 626-443-9100 South El Monte CA
or TireRack is also excellent I deal with Jim there.
Thanks again Augie. Really appreciate the time and education.

This is something all the vendor sites don;t tell you. ALL of them just say that it will fit my cayman.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked the website I looked at for this and just noticed there is another option for the 19 x 11 rear which has an ET40. Will this ET be better and not require the 3 yard spacer? :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
So what does ET mean? ET40 vs ET52?
View attachment 265556 ne is a
ET is the offset from the wheel centreline to the rear face of the bolting surface in millimeters . A positive number is making the wheel convex, while a negative value makes it concave.

So 40 is 40mm from center, while 52 is 12mm more convex. Changing to an 11” wheel from a 10” adds another 25/2 or 12.7mm difference.

Confusing isn’t it? Now if somebody can explain why both metric and SAE on the same wheel.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
That site saves you some calculating but is still you would need a 22mm spacer for 11" 40ETwheels
Certainly better than 34mm with the other 11" 52ET wheels
What you need are 10" instead of 11"
If you fill in the numbers a 10 40ET needs a 10mm spacer and a 10 35ET needs a 5mm
In fact you could run the 19x10 35mm with no spacer; there's enough room to clear that
There are many wheels on that site that are 19" 10 35ET so they are available in those offsets.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Sorry wheels on that site are not Porsche
But at least you know what size to look for

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again Tiger. Augie was really helpful in making me realize that. WIll go no more then 19 X10.

There was a really good deal on a set on RW5 locally so I wanted to see if our rides could use them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, I'm looking at the 19" OZ Leggera wheels 19x8.5 +53 and 19x10 +40mm on my stock 987.1. Looking to run 245 front and 285 rears. Any rubbing issues here? Right now I have 7mm front spacers and 15mm on the rears on the stock wheels for the flush look. I read sooooo much stuff on this, I need a good reference. Will they fit? Want to beef up the rubber with the wider rims. Thoughts?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are you set on 19" wheels? What tires are you going to run? I don't think you'll have any rubbing issue with that offset or width. I don't think a +53 with a 7mm spacer (effectively a +46) is going to be flush. I run a 18x9 et46, so ~6mm more to the outboard (and inside) then what you're suggesting with a 255/35/18 NT05 for the street. Rears are 18x10 et36 with 285/35/18 NT05s. Lowered 1.25", zero rubbing. Might I suggest and 18" Apex wheel?

There's a group buy on right now... :) Apex SM-10 for Porsche Applications

If you're set on 19" wheels we also carry Titan 7 forged wheels in 19x9 et48 & 19x10 et35. Both wheels will fit better without spacers then the OZs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Couple of shots of my 987.1 for reference:

So, I'm looking at the 19" OZ Leggera wheels 19x8.5 +53 and 19x10 +40mm on my stock 987.1. Looking to run 245 front and 285 rears. Any rubbing issues here? Right now I have 7mm front spacers and 15mm on the rears on the stock wheels for the flush look. I read sooooo much stuff on this, I need a good reference. Will they fit? Want to beef up the rubber with the wider rims. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts