Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
So, I'm looking at the 19" OZ Leggera wheels 19x8.5 +53 and 19x10 +40mm on my stock 987.1. Looking to run 245 front and 285 rears. Any rubbing issues here? Right now I have 7mm front spacers and 15mm on the rears on the stock wheels for the flush look. I read sooooo much stuff on this, I need a good reference. Will they fit? Want to beef up the rubber with the wider rims. Thoughts?
They'll work just fine and you won't need any spacers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not sure if he's planning on using the spacers or not based on his post but if he wants anything like a flush look he'll need them.

They'll work just fine and you won't need any spacers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm not sure if he's planning on using the spacers or not based on his post but if he wants anything like a flush look he'll need them.
Sure he can use spacers as well, but probably with wider rims and tires they won't be as necessary. Another option is to go with a 981 tire sizing which will fill out the tire well better. Can even keep existing 18 inch rims and go with 235/45/18, 265/45/18 (about 4% diameter increase, won't cause any issues). Unless the car is used for tracking or autocross, wider tires are of no benefit but do cost more. My personal opinion is that 18" rims look better on 987 cars.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ET53 on an 8.5" isn't a great fitment for these cars. It's super conservative, hence Tirerack selling it. Even with the 7mm spacer on the front it's still conservative..

4% speedo error and 4% loss in power, but they will fit.

True wider tires are mostly for atheistics on the street. But we have these cars because they check the boxes we want :)

Sure he can use spacers as well, but probably with wider rims and tires they won't be as necessary. Another option is to go with a 981 tire sizing which will fill out the tire well better. Can even keep existing 18 inch rims and go with 235/45/18, 265/45/18 (about 4% diameter increase, won't cause any issues). Unless the car is used for tracking or autocross, wider tires are of no benefit but do cost more. My personal opinion is that 18" rims look better on 987 cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info. So, I can't find a decent looking 18" wheel and I don't want to have the wheel be the first thing the curb will see. Hence, I'd rather rub the rubber than the wheel face (it will happen eventually). With the +0.5" front and the +1.0" rear wheel from stock widths, I guessed the 245 and 285 would give me that "curb" margin. I'll add the spacers as needed for flush. I'm also seeing only a 2.2% difference in the old speedo per the calculator....... have the stock wheels for the track anyway. Thoughts?

want this......

not this....

·
Incurable Gearhead
928 Posts
I have that OZ setup on mine with 245/35/19 and 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sports 4S the car's terrific. Front offset looks fine on the car as is. The rear was good, but I had some nice 7mm spacers/bolts in the spares bin and they brought them out nicely. With an aggressive alignment like Apex's they certainly could stand to be out further.

Speaking of aggressive, have you seen the Titans that Josh sells? I’ve personally seen them and am in love. Specifically the TS-5. Mama mia!

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's not so much the width as the offset. You don't need a huge front tire to be fast. The et53 will fit but you really need an et42 with an 8.5" wheel. Decide what "flushness" you want then find a wheel with that offset that you like.

Thanks for the info. So, I can't find a decent looking 18" wheel and I don't want to have the wheel be the first thing the curb will see. Hence, I'd rather rub the rubber than the wheel face (it will happen eventually). With the +0.5" front and the +1.0" rear wheel from stock widths, I guessed the 245 and 285 would give me that "curb" margin. I'll add the spacers as needed for flush. I'm also seeing only a 2.2% difference in the old speedo per the calculator....... have the stock wheels for the track anyway. Thoughts?

want this......

View attachment 266567

not this....

View attachment 266568

·
Registered
322 Posts
The +53 front and +40 rear may not be ideal for everyone, but they are very popular and versatile. People use them for track purpose for daily driving, for winter tires. You can always decrease offset by adding spacers, but not the other way around. Many Porsche drivers prefer a more conservative stance and hence such wheels are easier to sell when the time comes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Slicked1 mentioned a "flush look" in his post. I'm explaining how to achieve that properly, without spacers.

Those sizes are very popular, mostly because until recently a proper offset wasn't available without going to custom wheel. Doesn't mean they are correct though. We sell a lot of Apex and Titan7 wheels and none of our customers ask for or want et5x fronts. The et40 rears are so close to correct it's not an issue.

The +53 front and +40 rear may not be ideal for everyone, but they are very popular and versatile. People use them for track purpose for daily driving, for winter tires. You can always decrease offset by adding spacers, but not the other way around. Many Porsche drivers prefer a more conservative stance and hence such wheels are easier to sell when the time comes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Josh/Arch, Looked up the Titan TS-5. Nice looking wheel. So what do you recommend for my 987.1? Open to all ideas. And, Arch, post a pic for me please. Wanna see your setup.

·
Registered
955 Posts
2nd photo, is the Titan TS-5 18's 9 in f, offset 46 and 10 in, offset 35 in rear with Hoosier A7's 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r. 1st photo, Signature SV-104 forged, powder coated black chrome, 9 in f offset 47 and 10 in offset 35 r with RE71R's 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r.

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

·
Incurable Gearhead
928 Posts
Here ya go slicked...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Josh/Arch, Looked up the Titan TS-5. Nice looking wheel. So what do you recommend for my 987.1? Open to all ideas. And, Arch, post a pic for me please. Wanna see your setup.
The TS-5 is a great looking wheel but only available in 18" for our cars. It has a perfect offset and width and as you can see on Apex1s 987 they fit great. Forged AND light too. The T-S7 is available in 19 though but a completely different look. Similar fitment. Just depends on which one you like. The other option would be the Apex SM-10 (18" only) which I happen to like a lot, they are the cheapest option by far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gents, thanks for the pics. Made my decision a bit harder. All are great options. Any thoughts on brake dust and wheel color? Gotta clean those black ones all the time?

·
Registered
955 Posts
The Signature powder coated Black Chrome are actually easy to clean because the wheel spokes are separated enough to get my full mit into the wheel's barrel. I also use ceramic coating on the wheels to help prevent micro scratching. I have had so many PCA autocross members come by an ask questions about these wheels vs the Titan TS-5. The black chrome powder coating finish is just different enough that brings more comments. Both of these wheel sets are fully forged not rotary forged, meaning stronger and lighter. The Titan TS-5 are listed at 17.1 lbs for the 18 x 9 in offset 46. While the Signature are around 18.2 lbs 18 x 9 in, offset 47, both fronts. The rears are the same offset 35 and width 10 in. Titan Wt 19.0 lbs, Signature 19.4 lbs. What I don't know is how these fronts will fit around a big brake Brembo 6 piston brake kit.

·
Incurable Gearhead
928 Posts
Gents, thanks for the pics. Made my decision a bit harder. All are great options...
FWIW, I’m happy with my setup. Also FWIW, back when I was buying, if I'd have come across Titan's T-S5, that's the route I’d have taken. I’d just never seen a set till I ran across them in the flesh. And pay attention to the spec's Apex mentions above. You’re gonna notice the loss of that much unsprung mass. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, looks like you have sold me on the Titan7 wheels. I've looked everywhere and have not seen if these are powder coated or not. Are these just lacquered? Where is the best deal for a set?

·
Registered
379 Posts
They are powder coated.

We sell Titan :)

OK, looks like you have sold me on the Titan7 wheels. I've looked everywhere and have not seen if these are powder coated or not. Are these just lacquered? Where is the best deal for a set?

·
Incurable Gearhead
928 Posts
Slicked I figure it helps to do business with those that support the forum. After all, without these resources, we wouldn’t be benefitting from their knowledge. The wheels will likely sell for about the same price no matter who you choose anyway, but for example in this case, Josh walks the walk and actually drives one of the very cars we know and love. That sort of expertise and experience, IMHO, has great value.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts