Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I took my front wheels off the other day - but it took some levering and knocking to free them. The face of the hub and alloy did not want to separate easily. Is there some sort of grease I should/could use to stop this reoccurring? There is no way I would have been able to take the wheel off if I had broken down on the side of a road without my garage tools.

Rich

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Was there some corrosion on the hub face? Sounds like the two surfaces got busy and started some molecular bonding. This shouldn't happen, and I have personally never seen it, but I do live in a dry climate.

I would not use any kind of lubricant, you run the risk of contaminating the brake pads.

Give a good cleaning to both surfaces to remove any active corrosion. In the future, maybe make it a point to remove the wheels every couple of months to keep the bonding from getting a good hold.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Living in Florida this seems to be an occurrence on all the cars I have owned. What I do, is clean the area as best as possible, then I use a thin coat of high temperature wheel bearing grease on the inside surface of the wheel that contacts the hub. (key words: thin coat). Since doing this, never had a problem with wheel sticking to hub, and never a problem with brake contamination.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A smear of general purpose grease on the mounting face of the wheel and the spigot on the brake disc will stop them sticking.

Remember to lubricate the spinning part on the wheel bolt too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I typically apply anti-seize paste (called copper grease by some) to the back of the wheel where it mates with the hub. It really helps.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Tibetan yak saliva works wonders. Also WD 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts