Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my 'new' 2006 Cayman S, and it has wheel locks, but the PO said he doesn't have the removal tool, he has to have the dealer do this. I need a removal tool, anybody have one they don't need? My dealer is 70 miles away and I'm not going there for a couple of weeks at least.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Have you looked in the kit with the compressor and tire goop? At least for '08 it's stuck in a hole in the foam along with the lug wrench etc.

When I asked SunCoast about buying a second one for the garage I was directed to McGuard at 800-669-8788. Keep meaning to call.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
How does the dealer do this? The locks are "keyed", so the lock socket has to be the specific one for that car, or what's the use of the lock? ;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would assume the dealer has a "master"? But I'm going out now to check to see if indeed there is a tool in the car with the inflation kit. It sounded a little fishy to me, but the PO never did any maintenance so he probably didn't even know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Wait, I'm confused.

I don't think our stock Porsche locks are keyed at all. The bolt just has a serrated edge with a fixed pattern.

I have McGuard locks on the G35 and they are a completely different design with a unique pattern at the top of the bolt that only fits the "key".

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found it, in the tool kit right where the manual says it will be. The PO obviously didn't have a clue. Sorry for the WOB.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Wait, I'm confused.

I don't think our stock Porsche locks are keyed at all. The bolt just has a serrated edge with a fixed pattern.
Well, I can see how you came to that conclusion just by looking at it, but they are keyed. I just tested the socket from our '09 Boxster on the lock bolt of the '08 CS, and the socket just spun around uselessly. The diameter of the socket was different. So if any of you folks think you can just buy a universal replacement, forget it.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Wow, learn something new every day. Thanks for the info!

Well, I can see how you came to that conclusion just by looking at it, but they are keyed. I just tested the socket from our '09 Boxster on the lock bolt of the '08 CS, and the socket just spun around uselessly. The diameter of the socket was different. So if any of you folks think you can just buy a universal replacement, forget it.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I think there are some 30 or so different key sockets. Dealers have a master set which includes all the different sockets and it's trial and error to get the correct one unless the socket # is known. You'll need your socket # if you want to purchase a replacement or, as some do, a spare to keep handy in your garage. They are made by McGard specifically for Porsche.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
They are made by McGard specifically for Porsche.
I never would have thought that McGard, who normally makes very nice bolts and lugs, could make such lousy, poorly-finished bolts like those that came on our Porsches. That aspect must be special for Porsche too. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
The challenge apparently being finding the number. If it's marked on the socket it's not obvious.
It's not marked. You need to go to your dealer, match it using their master set and note the number. Order the key socket through the parts dept. It will arrive in a plastic bag with a sticker showing the socket key #. At least that was my experience.

I subsequently converted from lug bolts to studs and use the aluminum lugs and key sockets left over from my 993.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On the 987, 997 and Cayenne the wheel lock key is numbered inside the socket and the locking bolt is numbered at the end of the bolt. Not on the top where you can see it but the threaded end that you can't see unless you have the key to take it out. You may want to record this information while you have your wheel lock key available. You can order a key from your dealer but not through McGard.

It's not marked. You need to go to your dealer, match it using their master set and note the number. Order the key socket through the parts dept. It will arrive in a plastic bag with a sticker showing the socket key #. At least that was my experience.

I subsequently converted from lug bolts to studs and use the aluminum lugs and key sockets left over from my 993.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
On the 987, 997 and Cayenne the wheel lock key is numbered inside the socket and the locking bolt is numbered at the end of the bolt. Not on the top where you can see it but the threaded end that you can't see unless you have the key to take it out. You may want to record this information while you have your wheel lock key available. You can order a key from your dealer but not through McGard.
Alan
Thanks for the info and the correction. I looked and looked, but didn't find the number, but maybe my eyes are just too old ;) When I went to my dealer, the parts guy told me he had to use trial and error with the master set to find a match. On my next visit I'll educate him.

As I recall, my 993 locks have no markings, or did I miss that too?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 993 locks and keys do not have the number on them. Your parts guy is not totally wrong. If you do not have the wheel lock key then you must use the master set and trial and error to remove the lock.

Alan
Thanks for the info and the correction. I looked and looked, but didn't find the number, but maybe my eyes are just too old ;) When I went to my dealer, the parts guy told me he had to use trial and error with the master set to find a match. On my next visit I'll educate him.

As I recall, my 993 locks have no markings, or did I miss that too?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tire Adapter Security Wheel Bolt question..

I have a CS that has a nail in the tire, but to get it fixed they need to take the wheel off, unfortunately the "adapter security wheel bolt" that is needed is missing, the repairshop that works with the dealership that I bought the CS from says they need to have the vehicle sit in their shop for 1 day in order to get a new tool.

Is this true? can't they just order it off the VIN or not keep the vehicle for 1 day?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts