Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the dealer today and saw some wheels that I really liked and considering for my Cayman:
Thoughts? I think he said that these were the "Carrera Classic"?
IMG_3829.JPG

·
Registered
142 Posts
I prefer non-colored Carrera S for a white 981

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Is it just me or does that look like an amateur paint job? I mean, look at where the black paint meets the edge of the rim. What is going on here? They don't even look like they were masked off but instead painted by hand. And isn't that a standard Cayman 19" wheel painted with the black option?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is it just me or does that look like an amateur paint job? I mean, look at where the black paint meets the edge of the rim. What is going on here? They don't even look like they were masked off but instead painted by hand. And isn't that a standard Cayman 19" wheel painted with the black option?
Yep, those are OEM 19" Cayman S III wheels, that someone painted black (and not very well).

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I've never liked the black wheel look. My preference would be light to medium Anthracite or Titanium. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've never liked the black wheel look. My preference would be light to medium Anthracite or Titanium. Just my .02
I too shared this view until I purchased my current CS. I think the black contrasts against the white nicely, while the polished rim is sufficient to provide a break between the wheel and the tyre.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I too shared this view until I purchased my current CS. I think the black contrasts against the white nicely, while the polished rim is sufficient to provide a break between the wheel and the tyre.

Trev:

Like your car and the fact that you felt OK going against the grain here.

I would encourage the OP to look at aftermarket forged wheels, which are lighter and stronger and fill the wheel wells better. I bought Forgestars that were the perfect width and offset without spacers from a group buy here. I like them, but they require wheel rings and special bolts. The new Forgestars are made for Porsche now with no wheel rings and can use stock bolts.

If you call a couple of the vendors, you'll be surprised at how much wheel you can get for about what you'd pay a dealer for stock rims, which are generally cast and heavier than good forged wheels. Rotary forged wheels are quite reasonable in price and are a step up from cast in strength and lightness.

I bought 1 piece Champion RG5 rims used from P-9 classifieds a couple years ago. Still love the things. Shaving a few pounds off each wheel makes a difference because the wheel can react faster to bumps and not pound pavements so hard. Also, acceleration and decelerations are faster when you don't have as much energy wasted spinning the wheels up and slowing them down. Silver, black or grey, I'd shop around a bit before deciding on painted stock wheels.

:cheers:

Reactions: Trev450

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think it's the reflection from the wheels/background. They look painted professionally. I've seen same edging on a 997 at the dealer.
Sport Classic Wheel & Tire Set (50 Years):Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
When I zoom in really close I can see what you mean. It might just be reflected light giving that wavy edge look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I saw those wheels on a Guards Red 991 Turbo and are call 20" Carrera Sport Classic wheel but painted partially black at the factory and they looked fantastic!!

I ordered 19" Cayman S wheels with mine partially painted black which look very similar in design.. I understand that black wheels are not for everyone but I love the look personally plus I have the same wheels are in silver for winter wheels so have some veriety over seasons :)

I think they will suit white car too :)

P1020212 by sootyvrs, on Flickr

·
Registered
378 Posts
As time goes by, more flamvoyant wheels give a car old and rundown look I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
wheels like shoes are a personal thing.

OP - if you can find a wheeler dealer that will let you put some examples up against your car, you will get a good idea what you may like.

G/L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts