Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

first of all, sorry for my english.

I have bought a base Cayman 2010 PDK. I love this car and one thing it is really amazing is go to a tight corner in sport plus, hit the accelerator and note the back of the car drift in a controlled way! :)
I mount the 17" oem rims and I am thinking in go to 18" or 19" just for aesthetic but I don´t want to loose the behavior and sensations due to change from 205 and 235 to 235 and 265. It seems very big size!

Any one has tested both sizes? Most of yours have the S version and 60hp more, so there are no problem moving these wheel sizes.

How do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Regards

·
Registered
380 Posts
All I can tell you is I ALWAYS upsize wheels and tires on all my sports cars but my base Cayman came with 17's and I think I'm staying with them. I think 18's are the sweetspot on most if not all performance cars but my 17's are aesthetically good, super easy to clean and in my view offer no degradation in handling/performance. With that said the biggest benefit beyond that important stuff is 17 inch tires are cheaper too. I know 18's would most likely look better but all these benefits don't make a change a necessity in my view.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
I had a base 987 and alternated between the 17" and 18" wheels/tires. The 17" wheels gave a more compliant ride. The 18" wheels seemed to handle better. I had 20" wheels on a 981 S. I have 19" wheels on a base 981. To me the 19" wheels are the best all around.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The larger the wheel diameter, the easier it is to get curb rash. This may well not be the rate limiting step for many of us, but methinks it doesn't hurt to mention this issue. (If you're thinking that with the mirror drop function when in reverse, curb rash is something that has become significantly less of an issue, I can't disagree with you.)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Vehicle dynamics will be affected by a range of suspension/wheel/tire factors: contact patch, tread compound, temperature, alignment specs etc. If you like the back end stepping out a tad, you could lose some of that by going to a larger contact patch that keeps the car more planted. What are your current tires? What condition are they in?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree with gcurnew above. There are a lot variables so just the wheels and tires will not tell the whole story. I do not like to go too big on the wheels because you are infcresing the unsprung weight. The 18" is really popular for the cars on the track.
If I can help with anything let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the potential for wheel damage goes up with size. I can't remember ever hearing anyone grumbling about pothole damage on 17's though I'm sure it happens given the size of some of the craters out there. 18's are pretty good. I haven't had any issues. 19 and up seem to be more prone to damage though are workable with care to dodge. Pothole AX so to speak.

It's also possible that a fresh set of sticky 17's would keep your car firmly planted. I know my aging PS2's can be coaxed to step out a little now that they didn't want to do new. (Time for a change.) If you really like the look of the larger sizes you could go for a tire more rated for wear than traction to keep that bit of looseness.

And for Tire Rack Jim. Has anyone plotted out tire/wheel size va weight? I'm guessing the result would be a curve with a bucket around 18 or 19 inch for the min. Then again I've been wrong before. Just seems like we're getting to the point where the tire is tread wrapped around the rim.

·
Registered
786 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts