Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on asking the dealer to install the OEM wheel spacers for the cayman S.

How are they?

Any problems?

Do they improve handling? Or is it just for looks?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been running H&R spacers. No issues. I doubt you'll have any problems with the OEM 5mm spacers. They do not improve handling and in your case, are just cosmetic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wheel spacers will marginally improve handling by widening the car's track however the difference is not huge. They are mainly designed, at least for street cars, for appearance purposes to give the wheel a wider look that fills out the fender completely. They are used in race applications as well for their handling characteristics.

We have had a lot of success with the H&R TRACK+ Spacers which are available with longer bolts for a complete package. They are forged alloy so they are designed for street and track applications.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wheel spacers will marginally improve handling by widening the car's track however the difference is not huge. They are mainly designed, at least for street cars, for appearance purposes to give the wheel a wider look that fills out the fender completely. They are used in race applications as well for their handling characteristics.

We have had a lot of success with the H&R TRACK+ Spacers which are available with longer bolts for a complete package. They are forged alloy so they are designed for street and track applications.
I can understand how widening the track might help handling, but at the same time you're widening the track aren't you lengthening the "lever arm" on the suspension and effectively softening your springs?

Regardless, at 5mm it's probably insignificant. I'm running them myself. Can't tell a difference. Looks cool, tho :)

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Regardless, at 5mm it's probably insignificant. I'm running them myself. Can't tell a difference. Looks cool, tho :)
Same here. The make the car look a little better. I don't think that they improve handling but they don't hurt handling either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have lowered my cayman s with the Champion Motorsport H&R spring. This caused more negative camber and made the wheel go inside a the top. It didn't look right by me.
I have installed 18mm H&R spacer and the extended bolts in the back. It doesn't hurt the handling(helps a bit) have no interference and make the car look like it should. I put the 5MM they had put in the back on my front wheel. Sure makes the car look fatter. I don't know if 18MM would work has well on none lowered car.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I got a full set of spacers from maxspeed motorsports (best deal on spacers IMO)...both front and back 7mm on front 14mm on rears. The looks are more pleasing to the eye - at least to me...common folks won't notice too much. Anyway mine were for cosmetic reason only but I did notice a wider footprint as I took a few local curvers...but the feel dissipated pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, I finally decided to go through with the purchase of spacers for my 2010 CS.

I've mostly decided that I would go for the OEM Porsche 5mm spacers.

Do you think 5mm is enough or I should go for more?

All your advice is welcomed.

·
Captain Cautious
124 Posts
Hey guys, I finally decided to go through with the purchase of spacers for my 2010 CS.

It's all personal taste, but I think you'll notice the difference more if you go wider. I did 6mm front and 15mm rear and really like the stance after installation. The wheels are flush on both ends and the modification has caused zero problems. I think the final touch would be to lower it a bit... but it's hard enough to not scrape things as it is.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

It really depends on what you're using the spacers for. If you're adding them just to improve the look of your car, then IMO 5mm spacers are too thin and the Porsche spacers are way overpriced.

Take a look at what 5mm gets you on a ruler. Chances are you won't even be able to tell the difference between stock and 5mm.

With regards to improved handling performance, adding spacers will not noticeably improve your handling in any way whatsoever. The difference in lateral acceleration generated from a 10mm (2x5mm) wider track is extremely small. Even widening the track by 30mm (2x15mm) will result in an improvement in handling so small you won't be able to feel it or even measure it effectively.

You'll also need to consider what kind of wheels you have, or if you're planning on upgrading to aftermarket wheels. Spacers can be helpful in clearing the brake calipers with aftermarket wheels with offsets different from OEM. On the other side, however, I was told by Alan Baylis at Wheel Enhancement that spacers are not recommended with some aftermarket rims (example: Champion RG5 Monolite).

So as I said: if you're getting spacers just for looks, you might get something wider than 5mm, and not from Porsche - take a look at Boothe Design, Maxspeed, or H&R.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm doing this for cosmetic purposes only.

Any long run problems with wide spacers?

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
I'm doing this for cosmetic purposes only.

Any long run problems with wide spacers?
My only concern with thick (10+ mm) spacers, is that you lose the support of the center wheel hub, and all the force on the wheel is borne by the lug bolts alone. For that reason, I personally don't like to run spacers on the track where you are exerting even greater forces on the wheels and lug bolts.

Of course, you need to make sure you get appropriately lengthened lug bolts to match your spacers.

+1 with Interpol's advice.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so if I get >10 mm spacers and use them mainly for street use only, i'll run fine with no problems?

anyone got pictures of OEM 5mm spacers?

·
Registered
142 Posts
My only concern with thick (10+ mm) spacers, is that you lose the support of the center wheel hub, and all the force on the wheel is borne by the lug bolts alone. For that reason, I personally don't like to run spacers on the track where you are exerting even greater forces on the wheels and lug bolts.

Of course, you need to make sure you get appropriately lengthened lug bolts to match your spacers.

+1 with Interpol's advice.
There are spaces in the 15mm+ sizes that come with the centric wheel hub. I bought a pair of 25mm spacers from vertex auto
Wheels & Rims &amp Wheels & Rims

They looked great on the rear wheels, I used them to fit 18x11 295 turbo twists on my 987.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts