Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the wheel that hit the hunk of metal at 70 mph the other day. Wheels are supposed to be completely round, right? I lined up the straight edge to show that this wheel is flat. The picture does not capture just how bad the wheel looks. I took a wicked hit.

The good news is that there appears to be no other damage. The car is perfect on it's street wheels. Driver rear "mud flap" is nearly ripped off, though. I suspect it caught a piece of the action.

Should I hammer the other 3 track wheels flat like this one? I figured that would even out the car and the resulting resonance would make the car handle like they were all actually round. Round is so last century.

So now I have to decide what to get for track wheels. Time to check the classifieds...

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
933 Posts
Round is so last century.
:hilarious:

There are those heretics who claim the earth is round as well...

Good luck on your search for track wheels!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I've had bent alloy wheels straightened before for about $150 and you can't tell it was ever damaged! Don't try to do this yourself as you could weaken the rim.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I second gasman1's reply. Hit a section of missing road (4" thick slab of concrete actually NOT there!) so hard it bent the rim AND blew out sidewall enough to cause huge bulge. They straightened the rim, re-balanced, and I've put another 50K on it since it happened. No effect on tire or suspension lifetiem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.