Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I took my wheels off to clean inside the rims (I know, OCD but it DOES look good once it is done). There is leftover black sticky mess from previously fitted wheel weights. What would be a safe solvent to use to remove this?

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
296 Posts
You think you have OCD? This was to clean my paint, and my wheels

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
In the winter, I took the wheels off the CR to clean them. Because it was so cold in my garage, I brought each one into the shower to wash, then placed one at a time into the bath tub to dry.

It's better to do this when your wife is out of town for the weekend. Ask me how I know. :hilarious:

John

·
Registered
88 Posts
Amway Mint Condition Bug Gel and Tar Remover. They dont make it anymore, but you can often find it online. NOTHING beats it. I have a case in the garage that I am very reserved in using. Only gets used on the vehicles.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
While WD40 does dissolve adhesive - and won't directly harm the finish, it does leave a long-lasting trace amount on the treated surface. One side-effect of this (at least one I would worry about) is the next time the wheels are balanced. The adhesive might not stick as well.
I remember a thread a few years ago where it was claimed that using WD40 on a painted surface was a bad idea because any body-work re-spray will be adversely affected. I can't swear that's true. In fact I've used it to remove the goo after de-badging.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love that I am amongst friends :) Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
In the winter, I took the wheels off the CR to clean them. Because it was so cold in my garage, I brought each one into the shower to wash, then placed one at a time into the bath tub to dry.

It's better to do this when your wife is out of town for the weekend. Ask me how I know. :hilarious:

John
And I thought I was OCD. :crazy:

I use Citra-Solv for removing sticky stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can also use varsol. Just spray it on the area you want cleaned, leave for about five minutes and the glue will come off very easily.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I usually use good old gasoline to remove anything sticky since my wife hates it when I use her nail polish remover. Gasoline works better anyways but without the nice minty scent of nail polish remover...

·
Registered
Past vehicle, 2008 Cayman S
28 Posts
goof off and a new 20 blade scalpel. the scalpel get the big stuff and the goof off gets the rest. must be careful with the scalpel.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Ethel Alcohol also works not isopropyl

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hi all,

I took my wheels off to clean inside the rims (I know, OCD but it DOES look good once it is done). There is leftover black sticky mess from previously fitted wheel weights. What would be a safe solvent to use to remove this?

Thanks, Rich
I never have this problem after the fact like you because I took all the weights off, removed the adhesive, and clean the wheels before I go to the garage :). I use Goo Gone as much as I can and for the really tough one I use Ethel Alcohol.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would not use Goof off. On another wheel from a non Porsche OEM, Goof Off took the finish off the wheel while trying to remove the sticky stuff. Never again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts