Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the widest rear wheel and tire combination we can do that is safe?

porsche recommends 265/35/19 on a 10.5" wheel however a company told me I can run up to 310/25/19 on a 11" wheel. What are common wheel fitments on the cayman ? i need a nice set up that will NOT rub under any conditions. rubbing IMO is ghetto.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Porsche mounts 265/35/19s on their 10X19" rims, but that tire size shows as a minimum for a 10.5" rim at Tire Rack. A 305/30/19 tire shows maximum for a 10.5" rim, and it has the 26.3" OEM diameter. But some have reported rubbing with that size. A 295/30/19 tire should be a good fit on a 10.5" rim (26.1" diameter). Note that proper offsets and tire sizes become more critical as rim width increases, and tire/wheel weight also increases with width.

There seems to be more space restriction for wider wheels and tires in front than in the rear. My 9" fronts with 245s fit fine, and at least one person has been able to fit 255s with no rubbing.

My impression is that popular Cayman S after-market wheels involve 8.5" or 9" front rims, paired with 10" or 10.5" rear rims. My guess is that more people have the 8.5"/10" combo. With the right offsets and/or spacers, you might be able to make a 11" rim fit, but it might not be worth the trouble; especially if you lose some performance.

Who makes a 310/25/19 size tire?

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
jlt

I have almost the same setup as desertcaymans has but only lowered with H&R springs and have NO rubbing at all ,However I sugest with wider tires to ZIP tie the e-brake cable so it will not rub the inside of the REAR rims . I had this happen and finally figured out what the hedious noise was .Unless you add some wheel spacers of 5mm or more to the rear then you are ok :)

I dont know My AM wheel offset though

IMO 295 or less in the rear(spacers or ziptie reccomended depending on the offset) and 245 19" in the front (no spacers needed ) fits and handles GREAT!!

you also need to consider how the car will handle with big wide tires
Yes it will look cool but handles like C _ _ P !!!
I have tried some different tire and rim set ups and wasted a ton of $$ because the car performed HORRIBLY with the huge tires
I prefer my Porsche to handle like it should ,something to consider
tire size makes a huge difference !! be carefull ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: jlt

I have almost the same setup as desertcaymans has but only lowered with H&R springs and have NO rubbing at all ,However I sugest with wider tires to ZIP tie the e-brake cable so it will not rub the inside of the REAR rims . I had this happen and finally figured out what the hedious noise was .Unless you add some wheel spacers of 5mm or more to the rear then you are ok :)

I dont know My AM wheel offset though

IMO 295 or less in the rear(spacers or ziptie reccomended depending on the offset) and 245 19" in the front (no spacers needed ) fits and handles GREAT!!

you also need to consider how the car will handle with big wide tires
Yes it will look cool but handles like C _ _ P !!!
I have tried some different tire and rim set ups and wasted a ton of $$ because the car performed HORRIBLY with the huge tires
I prefer my Porsche to handle like it should ,something to consider
tire size makes a huge difference !! be carefull ;)
so whats the magic tire size? for 8.5 front and 10.5 rear?

·
Registered
88 Posts

Big meats look cool but they add unsprung weight, hampering performance. If you're adding beaucoup power they might be necessary, but the 235 & 265 combo works great on the CS & keeps the weight down. Adding spacers brings them flush with the bodywork for a wider look.

·
Registered
415 Posts

so whats the magic tire size? for 8.5 front and 10.5 rear?

245/275 works well with those wheels. On track we run 245 on a 9.0 front and 275 on a 10.5 rear. On the street we generally recommend 245 on 8.5 front and 275 on 10.5 or 10.0 rear. This combo fits well with a variety of mods and alignment/ride height combos...

Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can you please clarify why you run 10.5 rears with 275 for track when 10" wheel is plenty for 275 ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
I'm running an 11x19 rear on stock suspension the offset is et40.

The tire fitted is a 295/30/19 in a Pirelli Corsa System Asimmetrico.

Absolutely no rubbing and no other issues.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm running an 11x19 rear on stock suspension the offset is et40.

The tire fitted is a 295/30/19 in a Pirelli Corsa System Asimmetrico.

Absolutely no rubbing and no other issues.
Same exact size and offset here (but with Conti 3s). No rubbing whatsoever (with Eibach springs).

You will find much info via this site's SEARCH feature. I recommend paying close attention to weight!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Can you please clarify why you run 10.5 rears with 275 for track when 10" wheel is plenty for 275 ?

Thanks
Sure,

Generally we like to be at the midpoint or above on allowable wheel width. A wider wheel will stiffen the sidewall and aid in response compared to a narrower wheel, to a point, provided you not stretching the tire. In this case, the Nitto NT01 275 fits perfectly on the 10.5 wheel. The same is true for the front. A 245 will fit an 8.0, but it fits better on a 8.5 or 9.0...

For street use we usually would go with the typical 10.0

Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Jeff..that helps..!! Most tyre to wheel fitment guides have 10 " / 275 at the mid point hence my questions..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.