Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my Cayman GTS on Thursday and I have one concern. As I posted before, the car is Pre-owned with 2,400 miles. I did have it certified by Porsche at the dealership where I will be purchasing it. I noticed the wheels are not the original wheels the car was built with. The car has the 20 inch Carrera S wheels presently but had the 20 inch 911 Turbo design wheels originally. There are also spacers that were added between the hub and wheel to make the appearance slightly wider which I admit looks great. The salesman pointed out this modification when he first showed me the car. The original lug screws were in a box stored in the car. Should I have any concern about the performance of the car without the original wheels or the addition of the spacers. I believe the two different sets of wheels have the same width. Any input would be greatly appreciated. if all goes well, I will post some pics.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Carrera S wheels are OEM so no possibility of performance issues with those wheels, in fact, they are lighter than the Turbo S wheels so maybe a slight improvement. Spacers, depending on width, should have no ill effect either. Most guys run somewhere between 5mm (Porsche's max recommended size) up to 15 mm in the rear. Personally, I run an 8mm / 12mm setup on my X73 sport suspension and have not noticed any problems whatsoever. It sounds like they installed the spacers correctly with the longer wheel bolts so you should rest easy.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Yeah....it sounds like everything is legit. Be happy with a nice upgrade. I would be.

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
276 Posts
Performance-wise, the CS wheels are better. The included wheel spacers are also a nice added value. I wouldn't call any of this an upgrade however as the Turbo design wheels were a $1400 option and were the only forged alloy option we had until the GT4 wheels were introduced. This does put a discrepancy on the car's pricing when compared to its original MSRP, but if it was priced accordingly then all is well.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Speaking of spacers, isn't it true that the factory Sport Techno option wheels are wider and cannot use the spacers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts