Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The EVO review was already recorded and ready so that when the Porsche press release went out, so did the EVO video.

I wonder if Chris Harris has already driven the car and completed a review and is just waiting for the official unveiling in Geneva. What do you guys think? I'm dying to see what these guys say about the car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm hoping they have. It will make the rest of the week more fun

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
The EVO review was already recorded and ready so that when the Porsche press release went out, so did the EVO video.

I wonder if Chris Harris has already driven the car and completed a review and is just waiting for the official unveiling in Geneva. What do you guys think? I'm dying to see what these guys say about the car.
I'm sure we'll see something from our crew in Geneva! :) Now what time do I have to get up in the morning for this??? :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
In the first evo video they said they would be driving it very soon, so I wouldn't be surprised if their video goes up within a day or two of the official unveiling.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
For fun I'll guess March 14 (Einstein's b'day).

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

·
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That was a cool video. Looks like Southern CA to me....and a a red line of 7600rpm

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
European road stripes and signage. Southern Spain near Pyrenees??

Notice how low the front spoiler/diffuse is at 1:28? Not gonna be easy to drive this around town...

·
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
European road stripes and signage. Southern Spain near Pyrenees??

Notice how low the front spoiler/diffuse is at 1:28? Not gonna be easy to drive this around town...
Good catch. I was looking for road signs but missed it. I understand that Porsche did their testing of the GT4 is southern Italy but I don't recall what that topography looks like.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
I heard/read somewhere that the Journalists (evo, Harris etc) are this and/or next week in Portugal to test drive.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
407 Posts
Interesting comments on the ride quality, loved it was compared to a GTS. That said, the quality of the review was poor imo. I got zero cense of how the car actually drives.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A GTS (with PASM) has 7mm more clearance than a GT4 (see below). Technically a GTS with X73 has 3mm less clearance than a GT4. The GT4 has a worse approach angle though on account of the extra length of the front bumper cover and the splitter. Honestly, I expect it to be barely any worse than my GTS, which so long as I exercise a bit of caution at certain entrances, has been a complete non-issue.

6666.jpg

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
A GTS (with PASM) has 7mm more clearance than a GT4 (see below). Technically a GTS with X73 has 3mm less clearance than a GT4. The GT4 has a worse approach angle though on account of the extra length of the front bumper cover and the splitter. Honestly, I expect it to be barely any worse than my GTS, which so long as I exercise a bit of caution at certain entrances, has been a complete non-issue.

View attachment 56718
That all depends on where you measure clearance. If you take a look at the height of both cars you'll notice that the GT4 is 0.7" lower which equates to 17.8 mm. Add the X73 vs PASM difference to the GTS, 10 mm, and the height difference now becomes 7.8 mm lower for the GT4.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I expect it to be barely any worse than my GTS, which so long as I exercise a bit of caution at certain entrances, has been a complete non-issue.
To bring some perspective to this, the approach angle, I believe, is where you are going to rip off that front splitter. From another source

987 R 10.3
981GTS 9.2
GT3 w/axle lift 7.65
GT4 6
GT3 no lift 5.8

Between the GTS and GT4, you have lost 33% of your approach angle. That is not insignificant.

I think the ground to bottom on the GT3 splitter, no lift is ~4.5", 911 w/SPASM ~5.8", 981 GTS ~8"?

You might want to carefully think about your assumption because the 981GTS is much higher. There is a reason most everyone buys the axle lift on the GT3. Those 1.8 degrees are precious. I do not know the approach angle on a 991SPASM car but I suspect its in the area of the GT3 with axle lift ~7.6. And at that, I scrape all the time. Its about impossible to avoid in some entrances, able to avoid in the driveway but you need to go very slow and angled.

Then again, the splitter is disposable and I consider it to be a consumable. Its the aggravation to go along with it. While the parts are fairly cheap, you still need to buy them, have the shipped, and install them. And you need to never get out of the mindset that any surface that is angled can potentially rip off the splitter. I believe this is just another signal to buyers this car is meant to be tracked.

Good luck and let everyone know how it goes. If you have no issues, I'm sure everyone will want to know.

·
Registered
948 Posts
chows4us;930611. I believe this is just another signal to buyers this car is meant to be tracked. .[/QUOTE said:
Chow man is 100% correct.

The more I read, the more I understand the GT4 is not your normal Porsche, which I would describe as a car that looks super fast and achieves most of its performance from smart engineering. This thing is a throw back to where performance is achieved through lots of horse power and stiff suspension, and other compromises to drive-ability.

Let me predict now. Some will LOVE this car, while some will LOATH it. I like things on the extreme side so it think I will love it.

The reports of the loud transmission whine is unexpected. Reminds me of this .... http://youtu.be/dPGbgMXq-bA

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
The reports of the loud transmission whine is unexpected. Reminds me of this .... http://youtu.be/dPGbgMXq-bA
Someone on RL put up a video of a 997 Cup car chasing down a 991GT3. That's a cup car. It sounded exactly the same and explained the sound was the sequential transmission and I think he said straight cut gears. I kind of doubt it is the same thing. :(

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
To bring some perspective to this, the approach angle, I believe, is where you are going to rip off that front splitter.
This is correct and I don't disagree. The reality however is I haven't really had to take anything at an oblique angle yet in the GTS save for one place that is CRAZY steep (steep enough to be graduated into two ramps so every car doesn't ground out). I simply expect to be REQUIRED to take an oblique angle in the GT4. If you take something head-on you're simply asking for it. Regardless, I consider the front-splitter to be a "wear item". For reference, a 991 GT3 front splitter is around $210-220 from your dealer's parts department. There are aftermarket replacement splitters that should appear in the future that may be both cheaper and more durable. Mind you, we have less overhang and considerably more clearance than a 991 GT3.

There's also a reasonable "out" if you don't mind storing something in the frunk. Know those 3/4-inch or inch thick rubber "puzzle piece" gym mats? Yeah. Cut them into strips, and keep it in the frunk. Under compression from the weight you'll probably only get another 0.5" of ground clearance, but should help you when being forced to go up/down steeper ramps head-on, or take bigger speed bumps head-on. It's what you'll need to prevent these situations: http://youtu.be/tFbG-4VWqpA?t=1m51s

TL;DR: I'll be fine, I just occasionally expect my life to resemble a Top Gear episode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.