Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many here may recall in manual transmission Porsches, there is a shift indicator that suggests desired times (from your Porsche's desire) to up-shift.

This up-shift indicator lights up at low mileage and low RPMs to optimize fuel efficiency and engine load.

After driving my Boxster for 6 months and NEVER considering Porsche's constant recommendations for when to perform a "proper" shift, I decided to adhere to these suggestions.

Oddly enough, the car is smoother. Also, gas mileage has improved significantly. Instead of averaging about 24 mpg (city/highway), I average 27 mpg (city/highway). This was a shock given the EPA estimates for Boxsters don't align with such high average mpgs. I am two weeks into my observations.

Question is: does anyone else religiously follow their Porsche's shifting recommendations?

If so, are they like me and a new true believer in the benefits of driving the "optimal" Porsche way? Or did they find their car was suggesting trash and no advantage resulted?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I wouldn't think of paying any attention to that shift indicator, especially in my wife's Boxster, which needs some revs to deliver decent power. These are sports cars, why drive around at very low rpm just because some indicator flashes at you? It is so much more fun to stay above 2500 rpm (or 3000, for that matter).

I've got two words for that indicator, and they aren't "Merry Christmas". ;)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Hmm... never knew about this!

Which models had such indicator? And how does it look like?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Is it an option on the Cayman? I have never noticed it and do not recall reading that in the manual. I have been paying more attention to further down the road at the next curve and how to attack it.

By the way, as aggressive as I am driving the Cayman - it gets better gas mileage than my Passat W8 Wagon. My wife says the Cayman does not carry as much as the Wagon but I tell her - they both carry my golf clubs nicely. Case closed.

I will look for it the next time I let my wife drives. She drives slow.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Ooops I stand corrected - page 127. Duh that is what the little triangle means.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Ooops I stand corrected - page 127. Duh that is what the little triangle means.
What? :eek:

I never saw a light or heard a sound anywhere in the car indicating I need to upshift. I know my car by heart... well, almost! And since my manual and car are at the dealer, then I'll have to wait and see what others would comment on this!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I didnt buy a Porsche to drive it like a wooss or save a few bucks. Put it in Sport mode and the indicator goes away (except at exactly 100kph).

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
What? :eek:

I never saw a light or heard a sound anywhere in the car indicating I need to upshift. I know my car by heart... well, almost! And since my manual and car are at the dealer, then I'll have to wait and see what others would comment on this!
Stand by - I usually turn on Sport Mode and turn off PSM when I drive. So that could be the triangle I am seeing. I need to check this out after work and drive real slooowwww to see if there is an upshift indicator and report out. It is very painful for me to drive slow in my Cayman.

I only scan the instrument cluster for speed indication so I guess I will pay more attention to the other stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Stand by - I usually turn on Sport Mode and turn off PSM when I drive. So that could be the triangle I am seeing.
It's good to find another crazy person like myself here... yes, my friend the triangle you are referring to here is for turning off the PSM. If that's the case then there is no indicator in your car!

Same crazy person here... I wish we can reset these buttons instead of having to do so every time I start the car! :cheers:

·
Registered
245 Posts
The shift indicator is for the 2009 and newer models. For the people who have it, what seems to be the algorithm for displaying the triangle under very light load on the Cayman/Boxster? Does it signal to shift so that after your shift your engine will be at a certain RPM? For example, in first gear it might tell you to shift at 2600 RPM so your engine speed drops to 1500 but in 5th it would tell you to shift at 1800 so that after the shift you are at 1500. I have found that my transmission is much smoother if I keep the RPMs a bit higher; for example, shifting such that after the shift the engine is at 2000 RPM or higher.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My 1995 saturn sports coupe has this indicator and I ignore it. The car is much more fun when you let the revs increase a bit even if gas mileage is not optimized. When I get my cayman I will probably ignore it also. Cars like the saturn and the cayman should be driven like the sports cars they are.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.