Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so stupid... :wall:
I thought there was something wrong with the flashlight, so while I was sitting in my car, I unscrewed the top and 'pop' goes the battery somewhere in the abyss (aka somewhere under the seats). I tried my best looking for it, short of pulling my seats out and I cannot find the stupid thing. So now I need to find a new one. Can anyone tell me where to find a spare or replacement? All I know is, it had a green tape holding together about 4 of those small rechargeable batteries.

:helpme:

Thanks

btw, this is the LED flashlight I speak of
Suncoast Porsche, Audi, & VW: LED Porsche Rechargeable Flashlight

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. That battery is a proprietary lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack, not a standard NiMH or NiCD. It's also significantly more expensive, so it's probably not worth it to just buy the battery. You'll probably do better just buying a new flashlight.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh! I didn't want to hear that.

If anyone has one, can you check if there's some sort of model number or anything on the battery that will allow me to search.

*****CAUTION: Don't make the same mistake I did*******

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
There are also a couple of threads relating to the "how to" to get items that fall into the trap under the seat. You should search them out because the noise they will make moving around will drive you crazy and you can get your batteries back. Hint duct tape on a coat hanger before seat removal.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
If anyone has one, can you check if there's some sort of model number or anything on the battery that will allow me to search.
BTDT trying to replace a dead "porsche design" rechargeable battery pack. Interpol is correct. On-line searches and visits to a couple of battery stores has turned up no replacements. Hopefully, someone else has had better luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I feel so stupid... :wall:
I thought there was something wrong with the flashlight, so while I was sitting in my car, I unscrewed the top and 'pop' goes the battery somewhere in the abyss (aka somewhere under the seats). I tried my best looking for it, short of pulling my seats out and I cannot find the stupid thing. So now I need to find a new one. Can anyone tell me where to find a spare or replacement? All I know is, it had a green tape holding together about 4 of those small rechargeable batteries.

:helpme:

Thanks

btw, this is the LED flashlight I speak of
Suncoast Porsche, Audi, & VW: LED Porsche Rechargeable Flashlight

Since I was interested in this type of flashlight but not necessarily the entry price for the one with the Porsche logo, did some googling a while back and found that the "Coast LED Lenser LL7575" looked identical. Link to manufacturer is http://www.nteinc.com/coast/pdf/Coast_LED_Catalog_08.pdf...they may have replacement batteries. BTW, flashlight sans logo is available on internet for about $20 from "Lightsandknives", "Target", and others.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Since I was interested in this type of flashlight but not necessarily the entry price for the one with the Porsche logo, did some googling a while back and found that the "Coast LED Lenser LL7575" looked identical. Link to manufacturer is http://www.nteinc.com/coast/pdf/Coast_LED_Catalog_08.pdf...they may have replacement batteries. BTW, flashlight sans logo is available on internet for about $20 from "Lightsandknives", "Target", and others.
The outside casing may look the same, but Coast's website states that the battery pack is NiMH, not Li-Ion.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'll have to look but I recall that my year old Porsche flashlight is also NiMH as opposed to Li-ion.
The two types of rechargeables may be interchangeable for this flashlight. I would think that a brief note or a call to the company "Contact Us" might resolve the issue fairly quickly. I DID notice that some of the site information, such as the flashlight catalog, were outdated.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
FWIW the batteries listed for mine are 4 each of 80H NiMH or 20H NiMH. No idea what the numbers mean.

If the original batteries were Li-ion I'd advise caution at substituting something else without knowing. Substituting NiMH for NiCd seems to work ok but Li-ion can be different animals.

The only phone number I see on the package appears to go with Performance Products/Automotion, 800-752-6268.

Actually you probably could have removed the seat by now to effect the rescue.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Do NOT recharge Li-Ion batteries in a charger with circuitry meant for NiCd or NiMH. They are not compatible and the battery can explode or cause a fire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts