Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I look to see if there are any tracks nearby that have an open track day, or somethin' like that? Or does such a thing not exist? I'm not really wantin' to join any clubs or organizations at the moment, so I was wonderin' if there was a track nearby that opens up to the general public to play around on a track (organized of course). Motocross tracks have practice days where you can just go out and have fun with other people in your class, and all you have to do is pay a track fee. I'm lookin' for somethin' similar.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
The general answer is no there aren't open track days. There are organizations that run events that don't require memberships. Such as Chin & SCDA. If you don't have any experience they all require you to take instructed time on the track.

Best bet is to join PCA, it's cheap and they run well organized and affordable events.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Google for the tracks near by. Then check the web sites for those tracks to get a list of the organizations that have events scheduled at those tracks. Finally, contact those organizations to get started. But, be prepared to budget for a proper track car before you blow an engine - you've been warned. It is addictive.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I imagine that the Carolina Motorsports Park, and Roebling Road Raceway (near Savannah) are close by. I would check with them to see what kind of open track days they offer; however, I second the suggestion to join the PCA and attend a PCA DE at one of those facilities.

Other than the pretty reasonable membership fee, there really aren't any obligations on you for being a member, and it does allow you to get a discount at some Porsche dealers for servicing your car. You also get some freebie Porsche magazine subscriptions. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'll look into the different organizations and tracks. I was hopin' to not have a membership fee and just be able to show up at a track and drive, like how I was able to at motocross tracks. Might be motivation to pay off some bills quicker to free up some money for memberships (that's probably the only way for me to get the Mrs on board with it).

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Your local PCA chapter's website should be helpful too. Membership cost is very reasonable. Showing up and driving is not probable since you will at least need an inspection of your car and your helmet. (Our local chapters hold free inspection days, so you might be able to save that way if your local does the same thing.)

And you might want to start saving money for new tires; they get eaten pretty fast on the track.

Have fun!

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll look into the different organizations and tracks. I was hopin' to not have a membership fee and just be able to show up at a track and drive, like how I was able to at motocross tracks. Might be motivation to pay off some bills quicker to free up some money for memberships (that's probably the only way for me to get the Mrs on board with it).
There are some tracks like that, at Heartland Park Topeka once or twice a month on Weds nights they have a show up and drive, they give basic instruction and do a lot of follow the leader if there aren't enough instructors to go around, but you don't have to be a member of any specific organization.

·
Registered
164 Posts
BMWCCA or PCA membership is less than $50/yr. Your first track event entrance fee will likely be 4-8X that. I concur with the post that recommended getting instruction (ie. attend a PCA DE or BMW CCA driving school) if for no other reason than to learn proper track etiquette, safety, rules/flags, etc. much less actually learning how to drive properly. If paying off bills is a concern, then taking your car to the track without track insurance should be an even bigger concern (now you are talking some real money..... either for the track insurance or to fix the car if your regular insurance denies the claim (read your policy VERY carefully, in this day and age it is probably more likely than not)). Sorry if I burst your bubble......:eek:

JMHO,
Tom

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
BMWCCA or PCA membership is less than $50/yr. Your first track event entrance fee will likely be 4-8X that. I concur with the post that recommended getting instruction (ie. attend a PCA DE or BMW CCA driving school) if for no other reason than to learn proper track etiquette, safety, rules/flags, etc. much less actually learning how to drive properly. If paying off bills is a concern, then taking your car to the track without track insurance should be an even bigger concern (now you are talking some real money..... either for the track insurance or to fix the car if your regular insurance denies the claim (read your policy VERY carefully, in this day and age it is probably more likely than not)). Sorry if I burst your bubble......:eek:

JMHO,
Tom
You didn't burst my bubble. You provided information that I didn't think about (insurance). I would definitely get instruction before just jumpin' on a track. That would simply be irresponsible to not get instruction and learn the rules, safety, etc... Actually, I think the instruction would be fun. So I'm not against that in the least.

I mentioned payin' off the bills 'cause I looked at one of the clubs that had a membership of $5k/year. I just needed to look into things more, and I'm gettin' exactly the kind of information I need from the folks here. I appreciate that.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
Ahh... you are thinking of a "country club" track where you pay to be a member like a golf club. They are quite expensive to join , most of them much more that $5k. They provide private track days for the members.

Do check your policy, most but not all policies exclude DE. I had to change carriers when Geico changed the policy to exclude DE.

There is quite a difference in event cost as well. PCA is generally the cheapest in my area. Events that are well attended are usually cheaper. Some clubs like NNJR-PCA offer a discount for working at the event.

DE is not inexpensive but the driving experience, awesome cars & friendships developed are "priceless"

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Ahh... you are thinking of a "country club" track where you pay to be a member like a golf club. They are quite expensive to join , most of them much more that $5k. They provide private track days for the members.

Do check your policy, most but not all policies exclude DE. I had to change carriers when Geico changed the policy to exclude DE.

There is quite a difference in event cost as well. PCA is generally the cheapest in my area. Events that are well attended are usually cheaper. Some clubs like NNJR-PCA offer a discount for working at the event.

DE is not inexpensive but the driving experience, awesome cars & friendships developed are "priceless"
before that track in s jersey opened they wanted almost 20 k for the first year.....that was with a garage....still no "free days"....a 1k app. fee ..non refundable...app this

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This might be a stupid question, but what does DE stand for?

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but what does DE stand for?
DE= Driver's Ed (as in shorthand for HPDE or High Peformance Driver's Education event) - a non-racing, untimed track event.

No stupid questions, sometimes we just forget and assume that everyone is familiar with all the abbreviations and acronyms that get thrown around . . . :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DE= Driver's Ed (as in shorthand for HPDE or High Peformance Driver's Education event) - a non-racing, untimed track event.

No stupid questions, sometimes we just forget and assume that everyone is familiar with all the abbreviations and acronyms that get thrown around . . . :)
Thanks. I'm gonna have to look into that, but I doubt e-surance will cover that. They have great rates, but they have their limitations. For instance, they wouldn't insure a '03 Carrera Cabriolet I was lookin' at, because it had an original sticker over $75k. So I imagine they won't cover anything to do with a track. Then again, I won't know unless I ask them.

I appreciate y'all helpin' a new guy with some track questions. Well, a new guy to the Porsche world in general. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks. I'm gonna have to look into that, but I doubt e-surance will cover that. They have great rates, but they have their limitations. For instance, they wouldn't insure a '03 Carrera Cabriolet I was lookin' at, because it had an original sticker over $75k. So I imagine they won't cover anything to do with a track. Then again, I won't know unless I ask them.

I appreciate y'all helpin' a new guy with some track questions. Well, a new guy to the Porsche world in general. :)
I would not ask them. Read your policy. If there is anything about participating in an event at a venue designed for racing or anything that remotely sounds similar, you are out of luck. If you call them and ask, that may already raise a red flag.
Look into BMW CCA as well as PCA. Don't need a BMW to join and we always have Porsches at our events. (I instruct for both clubs.) There are also other groups that run events at various tracks such as NASA, Hooked on Driving, etc.
Budget for tires, gas, brake pads, etc. You also need a helmet (some clubs have a few loaners). As has been said.....it's very addicting.
Have fun!
Tom:cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Do check your policy, most but not all policies exclude DE. I had to change carriers when Geico changed the policy to exclude DE."

Thats the funny hing, i check every bit of my geico policy and nowhere does it say anything about any DE. In fact sometime back I called and they said those events are fine. Can you tell me where specifically you read it on the policy?

Also to be honest if anyone is taking a car to the track SHOULD (in my opinion) mean that one is ready to writeoff the cost in case something happens. The good thing is you dont really need a GT3 RS, a lot of less expensive Porsches are more that enough for intermediate level DEs. Of course for peace of mind it is possible to take a event-specific insurance, which I think is about 400 bucks for a weekend event.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here's what you do...

First of all, where are you located? (Someone mentioned CMP, and I go there all the time) Locate your neighborhood track. Find the clubs that frequent there, suck it up, and pay the membership fee for one of those clubs, and start doing DEs. The sooner you start a Driver Education program, the sooner you go solo.

Insurance is available through Lockton Affinity and other multiple carriers for track days. You won't spend 400 bucks either, most likely you'll be in the neighborhood of 100 dollars a day, give or take a little. When you sign up for an event, use ClubRegistration or Motorsportsreg and you should see optional insurance available for each event. It is reasonable.

If you're dead set on doing it without instruction Redline Time Attack does various Time Trial like events which don't include much in the way of safety gear or experience verification. IMO, you should do like the rest of us and work your way up through the HPDE system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.