Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on fitting my Kenwood satnav/stereo into my 2005 BOSE Boxster.
I need an ignition switched line. Can anyone tell me the best place to find one?

Also, any recommendations for where I mount the GPS antenae

thanks!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
There are switched circuits in the fuse box that may be unused in your option menu. for example, I use the rear wiper circuit for an auxiliary function.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You can get a "Add-A-Circuit" fuse tap from you local auto parts store. It plugs into a spare fuse socket (like for the rear wiper which most of our Cayman's don't have) provides a hot wire. Using this avoids needing to tap into the car's existing wiring. I did this to hot wire my Valentine1 to a switch power source.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get a "Add-A-Circuit" fuse tap from you local auto parts store. It plugs into a spare fuse socket (like for the rear wiper which most of our Cayman's don't have) provides a hot wire. Using this avoids needing to tap into the car's existing wiring. I did this to hot wire my Valentine1 to a switch power source.
can i get the delay-off function using this method?

·
Registered
79 Posts
having just done this twice in the last few months:
C6 in the fuse box

and mount the nav antenna in the front trunk, search for avic D3 install in this forum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on my fuse box, C6 says: Rer window wiper non-dazzle in mir paskassist. Is that correct?
And, should I use one of these?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jonnyspin,

You can indeed use the one pictured.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tested the output from C6 with my meter (using my new fuse tap) and it just switches on and off with the ignition - no delay. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
can i get the delay-off function using this method?
What do you mean exactly by delay-off? If you are referring to something like the Home setting for the headlights, I'm not sure there is an accessible fuse circuit for that function, except maybe the interior lights (not sure which fuse handles those).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean exactly by delay-off? If you are referring to something like the Home setting for the headlights, I'm not sure there is an accessible fuse circuit for that function, except maybe the interior lights (not sure which fuse handles those).
by delay-off, I mean that the power would stay on when the key is turned off, and remain on for a short period after the key is removed - same as the standard CDR24 radio.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hope this helps. This was posted by Jay H after his aftermarket installation

"Switched 12 volt power lead can be obtained from the fuse box via the #9 position fuse on the 2nd row. It’s a 7.5 amp fuse for the telephone and power is cut as soon as the key comes out of the dash. Remove the fuse box cover and loosen the 3 screws that hold in the fuse box surround and you'll have plenty of room to get a connection into the fuse box. I used a very thin 22 gauge power wire and that allowed me to run the wire through some very small openings on the side of the fuse box and then back behind the carpeted panel that surrounds the fuse box."

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/40889-sound-package-plus-upgrade.html

Rob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks. I've tested it with my meter, and I think this is the location I will put my fuse-tap. That is D9, not C6.

BTW, I am using a thinker guage wire as per the fuse-tap, and I am feeding it into the fuse box via the lower rhs 'hinge' hole, that is plenty big enough.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Be careful when you tap power using these. They work great but there are two ways to plug them in to the existing fuse socket. Either way will tap into the power, but if you put it in backwards, your circuit will not be protected by the fuse.:eek: To be sure, install it 1st with with the new fuse removed. Verify that the circuit is dead, then install the fuse. It should have power now.

Oh, for the ACC circuit, use a small AMP fuse, so if a short does happen, it won't fry much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts