Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's the dreaded IMS and RMS area...

IMS, check your oilfilter.
RMS, some sweating is oké if you can live with it. These cars can get very old with some dripping from the RMS.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pointer, Barwaut. I should have the transmission dropped next weekend. I will update once I take a look.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Probably RMS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello.

Mine was was worse than yours. While the RMS appeared to have a leak, it was actually coming from the IMS flange - hard to tell if it was the large seal around the IMS flange or if it was the small o-ring at the end of the shaft. I replaced both.

I did pull the seal off my IMS bearing and the bearing itself was in fine shape (there wasn't any grease left in the bearing - just oil). Installed the DOF while I was in there.

Good luck.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
My money is on the IMS Cover Seal. I saw the same problem in my 2007 Cayman S, and I've seen it in many other 987 Caymans.

Be Very Careful if you decide to fix this one yourself. There is no room for trial and error on this job. You need to follow a very specific procedure and you'll need a few special tools. Deviating could cause serious engine damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts